The Middle Tennessee Thread

I would not buy in bulk in the late summer. This year I probably had to toss about 300lbs to mold because it was so dang humid this year. It seems to do ok in the barrels but the top can still mold.

Hi all, I’m wondering how many folks in middle Tennessee would be interested in a non-GMO chick starter or broiler blends of feed. Smith County Co-op is willing to custom blend the Polyface Farms recipes—but the minimum order is a ton. To keep the price down and stay as local as possible, these blends do use Whole (unadulterated) Roasted soy to get to the proper protein levels. Joel Salatin has written a paper on the use of soy in his feed blends that can be read at the following link: http://www.polyfaceyum.com/buyingclubcommunity/index.php?board=13.0

Sunrise farms has developed recipes that are soy free, but they are up to $4 per bag more expensive. I don’t know yet what the price per bag will be from Smith County—but would love to know what the level of interest is out there.

We might be a little far for you, but we have Tiger Naragansetts, Royal Palm, Blue Slate, Mottled Blue, Black, Pencilled Palm and Calico turkeys from about 3 weeks to 4 months old. $15, $20 and $30 each depending on age/size. We are between Shelbyville, Lynchburg and Tullahoma. 
Hi there! I just came across your post and was wondering if you still have turks available? We're in Manchester, been wanting to get some heritage turkeys, but haven't quite settled on a breed yet. I'm totally new to turkeys and could use some advise if you wouldn't mind and have the time.

Hi all, I’m wondering how many folks in middle Tennessee would be interested in a non-GMO chick starter or broiler blends of feed.  Smith County Co-op is willing to custom blend the Polyface Farms recipes—but the minimum order is a ton.  To keep the price down and stay as local as possible, these blends do use Whole (unadulterated) Roasted soy to get to the proper protein levels.  Joel Salatin has written a paper on the use of soy in his feed blends that can be read at the following link:  http://www.polyfaceyum.com/buyingclubcommunity/index.php?board=13.0
Sunrise farms has developed recipes that are soy free, but they are up to $4 per bag more expensive.  I don’t know yet what the price per bag will be from Smith County—but would love to know what the level of interest is out there.

The place I get my feed from, Manchester Farm Center, has a pretty large line of non-gmo feed by Burkman. It's what I feed my flock. When I bought it a couple days ago a 50# bag of starter was roughly $14 and the Layer Pellets were just a few cents more. Considering I was paying around 11-12+ for regular starter, I think it's more than worth a couple extra dollars a bag to know they're not consuming that junk.
They also carry Burkman non-gmo flock raiser, layer crumble, goat feed, cow feed and if I'm not mistaken, horse feed and I think I saw gamebird on the list as well. All my birds do great on it.

Last edited:
The place I get my feed from, Manchester Farm Center, has a pretty large line of non-gmo feed by Burkman. It's what I feed my flock. When I bought it a couple days ago a 50# bag of starter was roughly $14 and the Layer Pellets were just a few cents more. Considering I was paying around 11-12+ for regular starter, I think it's more than worth a couple extra dollars a bag to know they're not consuming that junk.
They also carry Burkman non-gmo flock raiser, layer crumble, goat feed, cow feed and if I'm not mistaken, horse feed and I think I saw gamebird on the list as well. All my birds do great on it.

I would love to find a local supplier of organic feed.
Fish base is best, soy next and corn as a last resort.
Actually I could do the non gmo corn this winter and that would work fine. I'm in Spring Hill.
Would be happy to share a load as well!

I would love to find a local supplier of organic feed.
Fish base is best, soy next and corn as a last resort.
Actually I could do the non gmo corn this winter and that would work fine. I'm in Spring Hill.
Would be happy to share a load as well!
The "Pastured Poultry" Blend, Non-GMO feeds contain pretty much the same ingredients, just different ratios based upon the required protein levels
  • Non-GMO Corn
  • Non-GMO Whole Roasted Soy
  • Non-GMO Oats
  • Fish Meal
  • Fertrell Nutra-Balancer
  • Calcium

Layer is 16/7/6 (protein/fat/fiber)
Broiler is 18/7/5
Starter is 22/9/7
Turkey Starter is 24/10/6
Pork also includes DE and is 15/4/6
I don't have the analysis on Turkey finisher yet.

So I wanted to get a closer look at one of the cockerals that are growing out. He is a Saphire/Olive Egger cross and is lavender barred with orange shoulders. I scooped him up just a dusk but scared him so bad. He had apparently just been pigging out on a bunch of fly maggot and he began to throw them up, still wiggling! Each!

Back
Top Bottom