The Middle Tennessee Thread

And now the friggin goshawk that's not even supposed to be here is going to the ground by the little chicks' run and stalking them! Grrr! It can't get in but it's terrifying everyone. I stuck a metallic pinwheel out there because I happen to have one and it's plenty breezy to spin but what else?

Last edited:
Maybe a couple CDs or those tin pie pans strung so they'll spin and reflect the light? I've seen several people around here using them, but don't know how effective they are personally.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I'm looking for a couple of silkies or frizzles (pullets) and I thought that might be a good place to find juvenile birds.
I've got silkie juveniles (unsexed) up to 4 months old, Bantam Cochin young pullets and cockerels, and laying pullets, and roosters. Also a few young adult sizzles (Bantam Cochin X Silkie) and frizzled Polish chicks. Prices range from $5 to $12. All are vaccinated for Marek's. Located on the other side of Tullahoma from you.

I've got silkie juveniles (unsexed) up to 4 months old, Bantam Cochin young pullets and cockerels, and laying pullets, and roosters. Also a few young adult sizzles (Bantam Cochin X Silkie) and frizzled Polish chicks. Prices range from $5 to $12. All are vaccinated for Marek's. Located on the other side of Tullahoma from you.
What colors do you have in the Cochins? I may have to get a few when I get the turkey eggs from you. We've been wanting a few more. Preferably Lav, Calico, Mille Fleur or Blue, but love them all. My DH wasn't crazy about them till he actually spent some time with them while I was sick (he had to take over farm chores for a week). Now he's smitten. Lol

This is totally my field of expertise: I have major sinus/allergy issues and if you're into natural remedies I

highly recommend you try this. Every morning during allergy season (which is basically 6-8 months out of the year for me) the first thing I do every morning is take a shot glass and add warm water, a little lemon juice, a spoonful of unfiltered apple cider vinegar and s big dollop of local (let me stress 'local') raw honey. IT TASTES BAD. But, it clears my sinuses better than any traditional remedy I've tried, including nasal sprays. Also, you can safely take 2 Zyrtec a day. I've been doing it for years: one at night, one in the morning. It really bumps up its power. Good luck!
. I have all those ingredients so I'll definitely try that!

As someone that has had BAD allergies my whole life, shots have made the biggest improvement.  I have been going to an ENT for about a year.  Taking more meds does not help.  Zertex is what I use (once a day) and nasal spray. (2 sprays each side).  He told me to NEVER use those nettie pot things.  I had surgery in Nov.  So far so good.... I can breath for the first time in years.  So far not been bothered by allergies this year.  I have even added cats to the farm (VERY Allergic to them) and no ill effects since surgery, even brought one home for 10 days and nothing. 

Just a side note... I now get brain freeze with every sip of a slushie... never happened before surgery. 

I'm wondering if the shots might be the way to go. I'm going to try this honey thing first, congrats on the surgery, it sounds like it really worked!

I'm wondering if the shots might be the way to go. I'm going to try this honey thing first, congrats on the surgery, it sounds like it really worked!

I should mention, I'm all for Western medicine and I've been getting allergy shots for about 3 years now. I'm on a maintenance dose and see an allergist, and if you can get the shots I would definitely recommend it. For a quick fix tho, or when the Bradford pears are in bloom or if I'm just having a flare-up this will always be my go-to remedy.

I should mention, I'm all for Western medicine and I've been getting allergy shots for about 3 years now. I'm on a maintenance dose and see an allergist, and if you can get the shots I would definitely recommend it. For a quick fix tho, or when the Bradford pears are in bloom or if I'm just having a flare-up this will always be my go-to remedy.
I swear by local honey to help with our allergies. It's worked wonders for me and my oldest daughter. Locally sourced Royal Jelly is even better, but near impossible to find. We actually decided to get bees this year after what feels like forever talking about it. Have a beautiful colony coming home next month. I figured with all the honey we consume and gardens who could greatly benefit from them, the sensible thing for us was to keep a few hives.

I'd like a couple of juvenile silkies, I don't know why but I like to get things in pairs
1f60a.png
What color(s) do you have?

Back
Top Bottom