The Middle Tennessee Thread

Watch your flocks, everyone...
sad.png

Take precautions and be careful of the migrating and swarming wild bird populations...

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/news/sa_by_date/sa-2017/hpai-tn
Yup, saw that this morning. Thankfully mine are still in winter housing.

Hello and welcome to BYC from Scotts Hill, TN. What kind/s do you have??

None yet! I'm hoping to get some young ameraucana's and buff orphingtons that no longer need lamps but aren't quite ready to start laying - any recommendations on where to find those?

Hi! I have a few buff orps hatched last fall. They are all at point of lay now. Message me if you are interested. :)

Quote: Scotts Hill has a poultry auction every third Saturday of the month. My wife bought seven 1 month + lavender orpingtons last time. Twenty dollars for the seven. However, with auctions quality is in question.

I would AVOID AUCTIONS like the plague! Especially since AI has been found in TN. They don't test birds at these auctions not matter what they tell you.

Quote: Scotts Hill has a poultry auction every third Saturday of the month. My wife bought seven 1 month + lavender orpingtons last time. Twenty dollars for the seven. However, with auctions quality is in question.

I would AVOID AUCTIONS like the plague! Especially since AI has been found in TN. They don't test birds at these auctions not matter what they tell you.

After seeing/reading the news today, I have to agree. Being new to TN, I wonder if the auctions will be cancelled.

Alright, Doug just called me and explained about the Welsummer. He said he gave me one from *his* breeding stock order (which explains the pink mark on the chest feathers -- it was definitely dye marked). He claims he paid more for her than he charged me but he felt so badly about the mistake that he wanted to do more than just give me another chick. But, he says it IS a Welsummer and that it's dark in down but that it will have better color than a hatchery Welsummer when grown. He's so sure of his source that he'll replace her with another grown pullet if I'm not impressed.

So, just wanted to share the update because I know these sorts of places thrive or die on their reputations. And seriously, the gals I got years ago were unbelievably high quality.

Scotts Hill has a poultry auction every third Saturday of the month. My wife bought seven 1 month + lavender orpingtons last time. Twenty dollars for the seven. However, with auctions quality is in question.

Even under the best of circumstances I'd be too afraid of the risks to trust auctions.

I would AVOID AUCTIONS like the plague!  Especially since AI has been found in TN.  They don't test birds at these auctions not matter what they tell you.
I'm with you. Most of the livestock auctions I've seen are more concerned with making a quick buck than the health and quality of the animals they're peddling. I've never been to it personally, but several friends have checked out that livestock auction in Lewisburg and we're sorely disappointed in the condition of many of the animals that went through. I'd rather pay a bit more and know I'm getting good animals, be they chickens, goats or cows, from a reputable breeder.

Back
Top Bottom