The Middle Tennessee Thread

Even under the best of circumstances I'd be too afraid of the risks to trust auctions.
I'm with you. Most of the livestock auctions I've seen are more concerned with making a quick buck than the health and quality of the animals they're peddling. I've never been to it personally, but several friends have checked out that livestock auction in Lewisburg and we're sorely disappointed in the condition of many of the animals that went through. I'd rather pay a bit more and know I'm getting good animals, be they chickens, goats or cows, from a reputable breeder.

I live in Lewisburg and that auction should be shut down. The animals are always sick looking with snot doing or skinny. I have also personally witnessed the owner inflating prices. He was bidding on stock then let it go so that the person who won would have to pay more.
It isn't my interpretation, the guy in the ring walked towards the edge of the ring where I was standing by the owner. The guy in the ring said, You gotta bid, these are going too low. The owner was taking to a guy on his left and wasn't paying attention to the bidding. He started bidding after that.

I live in Lewisburg and that auction should be shut down. The animals are always sick looking with snot doing or skinny. I have also personally witnessed the owner inflating prices. He was bidding on stock then let it go so that the person who won would have to pay more.
It isn't my interpretation, the guy in the ring walked towards the edge of the ring where I was standing by the owner. The guy in the ring said, You gotta bid, these are going too low. The owner was taking to a guy on his left and wasn't paying attention to the bidding. He started bidding after that.
I don't doubt it for a minute! Everyone, literally EVERYONE, I've talked to that's been has expressly commented on the poor state of the animals. I don't understand how places like that stay in business. You'd think the public (potential buyers) would eventually shut them down by refusing to do business there. We have an auction house here in Manchester that's notorious for running bids up. I don't know if they're breaking any laws in what they're doing, either way it's shadey and down right dishonest.

I don't doubt it for a minute! Everyone, literally EVERYONE, I've talked to that's been has expressly commented on the poor state of the animals. I don't understand how places like that stay in business. You'd think the public (potential buyers) would eventually shut them down by refusing to do business there. We have an auction house here in Manchester that's notorious for running bids up. I don't know if they're breaking any laws in what they're doing, either way it's shadey and down right dishonest.

I've been out there several times to see if it gets any better, it doesn't. About a year ago they were advertising that they were going be starting a new auction house in KY! Dumb people. Lewisburg really needs one, but I won't ever buy there again. We bought a tiller and tried for some guineas, but they went really high.
He was specifically bidding up the cattle.
The animals are usually bad looking though. Never heard a good word about then either.

As soon as they cancelled the tornado watch I went to check on my chickens only to have lightning strike a tree across the road. When I got back in both my dogs had literally crapped themselves. And I think the worst of it passed over us and went up your way.

As soon as they cancelled the tornado watch I went to check on my chickens only to have lightning strike a tree across the road. When I got back in both my dogs had literally crapped themselves. And I think the worst of it passed over us and went up your way.
Yeah, we got hit pretty good. Luckily we didn't see any funnel loud action, but sent the girls to the stairwell closet just to be safe. When it started it sounded like someone was tearing the roof off. Hail + tin roof = LOUD! It really didn't get all that windy, so I'm hoping the critters weathered it well. We shall see come daylight. I don't know about you but I'm beyond ready for spring to get here and STAY! I'm dying to get to work on the gardens and get the bees set up already. This flip flopping weather is giving me whiplash.

It is like they are trying to keep this one quite. I saw a 3 second spot on the news and that was it. I still have not seen anything on FB. Strange. Not the same strain as Lincoln Co. This one is a low path.

It was pretty windy here too but it slipped past us to the south for the most part. Sounded worse than the one last Wednesday.... I don't know if we have any damage at the farm.

Hope everyone survived last night. It was a nasty one.

I haven't been near my computer to post the Giles Co. outbreak on the Middle TN Chickens page. Hope to have time later. We need to preach biosecurity LOUD! Be careful with your flocks. Also probably should discourage wild birds from hanging around. I love my bird feeders, but am leaving them empty. :(

Back
Top Bottom