The Middle Tennessee Thread

We were at Tractor Supply in Lexington yesterday and the wife bought six Asian Black chicks. I know nothing of Asian Blacks. Any information would be welcome. Three have yellow on the head while the other three have all black heads. Does this have anything to do with sex? I'm unable to find much information online.

We were at Tractor Supply in Lexington yesterday and the wife bought six Asian Black chicks. I know nothing of Asian Blacks. Any information would be welcome. Three have yellow on the head while the other three have all black heads. Does this have anything to do with sex? I'm unable to find much information online.

It's another flavor of hybrid
1f414.png
. Supposed to be a dual purpose. They don't breed true which gives me pause. The whole idea of duals is that they are a homestead farm chicken meant to be a sustainable source of meat and eggs for a family. But I suspect most backyard keepers aren't actually doing that, anyway, and won't care.

ETA: I wonder if they're wing feather sexable? I know that qualified vent sexers are getting harder to come by so that may be a motivating factor.

Last edited:
I am looking for some Brahma chicks if anyone knows where I could find some, any color in Middle TN. Also interested in Cochins and Giant Blacks.

I actually was able to get 12 Brahma chicks today - 5 dark, 5 buff and 2 light. Suppose to be all pullets. Next I will be looking for a Room.

just got back from Rural King in Clarksville. saturday pm - checked out the chicks.They have silver and gold wyandotte, buff orphington, black australorp, barred rock, americana- ees (mostly chipmunk looking), plus a few more I've forgotten. Also the regular rhode island reds, leghorns and black sexlink. Quail , guineas and a few turkeys. Ducks almost gone- khaki campbell and pekin.

I went today and got some.  I love the way they keep the chicks.  I will go back the next time I look to buy more.
We got some chicks from there a few weeks ago. I, too, was impressed with their set-up and of the 30 chicks and 6 guineas we bought, we've only lost 1. That's awesome considering the awful time we've had with the few chicks my dad surprised the kids with from TSC. He showed up with 6 assorted bantams, only 2 are left, a Silver Sebright and an OEGB and the SS is not growing like it should. I think we're done with TSC as far as chicks are concerned. Does anyone know what hatchery CO-OP uses?

Quote: I know Rural king did use Townline. I had great luck with the EE I got last year. I need to make a run up there but I will wait till they get a new shipment. You can call and they will tell you when they have more coming in. I got some WL there too and they were great. I never had any issues with them. The co-ops might use different hatcheries depending who owns them.

Back
Top Bottom