the misery of having a lone duckling

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
I had a single muscovy/runner cross hatch out today. This baby requires constant attention and holding or else it peeps and jumps to leave the brooder until it is exhausted and collapses. Right now I am typing one-handed because I am holding the sleeping duckling in the other.

I cannot sleep with it.(my cats would LOVE that)...and soon I must go to bed.
sad.png
I feel so bad.
I was lucky enough to locate a local person with black east indie hatchlings and will be buying some friends tomorrow...but its going to be a lonnnnng night.
btw- this little fluffbutt is adorable- i believe it is chocolate colored.
smile.png

It has Three
smile.png
A dolphin, a bear and hmm a dog, I think. I set it up so it has like a cave to go under and snuggle. But, it wants me in there, too.

Try hanging something up in the brooder so it hangs down for the duckling to sit under.

I use this toy. ( when I am too tired to snuggle them in bed with me - )
46956_chicky_momma.jpg

The lone chick/ duck will stand between the legs - thinking its mom...and when the chick moves- the legs do. Rather than just having a soft toy sitting in a corner- this can give the effect of the toy being alive as it moves.

Some other ideas for things to use..a clean mop head - the rope kind. - Cut up some rags and tie them into a piece of cardboard so they can dangle down.

thanks everyone.

I picked up two black east indie ducklings to befriend my lone duckling.

Now, I have three peeping non-stop, jumping to get out, little baby ducklings instead of just one.
th.gif

This is a plan that back-fired. The two new ones look like black jellybeans. SMALLER than my little muscovy-cross. Its amazing how something so little can peep so loud.

I think that's just what ducklings do (I really don't know, I'm new to all of this).

I have plexi-glass mirror used for school lockers inside the ducklings brooder. The ducklings loved pecking at it right away. I also have a huge "mirror" made from some sort of reflective nylon material glued to a plastic sheet. I've also used silver plastic serving platters/trays that I bought at a thrift store. My drake spends a lot of time staring at himself and occasionally tries to nibble the duck staring back at him. The chickens love it, too.

Besides stuffed animals and a feather duster, I also have fake fur material in the brooder. They like to nestle in it.

Back
Top Bottom