The Moonshiner's Bootleg Incubator Reviews And Discussions

Pics
Hey, look what I just accidentally bought.
Screenshot_20230816-104617_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230816-101213_Chrome.jpg

A vintage Natural Science Industries Chick U Bator complete in box.
Seller said it was bought new and used twice in the 60s. Been in storage ever since.
The very similar GQF Chick-Bator was my very first incubator.
Can't wait to try this thing out.

Hey, look what I just accidentally bought.
View attachment 3610770
View attachment 3610769
A vintage Natural Science Industries Chick U Bator complete in box.
Seller said it was bought new and used twice in the 60s. Been in storage ever since.
The very similar GQF Chick-Bator was my very first incubator.
Can't wait to try this thing out.
My first reaction is WTH is that?? 🤣🤣🤣
Never seen anything like that!!!
How many eggs?? Looks like a spaceship!!! Totally waiting to see how this hatch goes!!!

My first reaction is WTH is that?? 🤣🤣🤣
Never seen anything like that!!!
How many eggs?? Looks like a spaceship!!! Totally waiting to see how this hatch goes!!!
It so looks like a little UFO.
I had mine when I was a kid. You could buy one out of a comic book etc. It actually came with I think it was 5 quail eggs. If I remember right a couple arrived broken and I set 3 and hatched 1.
I only used mine for quail eggs and was never really successful. I know it'll hold 2 chicken eggs maybe 3 if you jam them in, lol.
For real though it's ridiculous. Thin plastic and like a night light bulb for the heat source. No thermostat so no way to regulate temps. It's got a little place in each of the 3 feet for water. You regulate humidity by filling none, one, two or all. And certainly no fan or turner.
I'm gonna hand turn, dry hatch, and still air. BUT I'm gonna buy one of those plug and play Inkbird thermostats. Plug the incubator into it and jab the probe into the incubator.
I think I can make it work. And if it does then I have an even more ridiculous idea to try afterwards.

Will be interesting to see what temp this thing will hold with that small bulb.
Seems I remember seeing something similar in comic books way back then.
Somewhere I saw it said the Chick-Bator used a 7 watt bulb. That doesn't seem like it would do much at all. I'll wait till mine arrives and see what size bulb it has if it even says on the bulb and see if it works.
Figured it would be a good idea to replace it or have a back up since it's like 55 years old. When I see what kind it is exactly I'll see what wattage options there are.
Thinking about it I didn't read comic books so it was probably in a Fur Fish And Game or something like that. Idk I know I passed up the X Ray glasses that let you see through clothes. And the plans for making a hovercraft out of a vacuum cleaner for the incubator.
Guess i should of seen this hatching addiction coming.

Somewhere I saw it said the Chick-Bator used a 7 watt bulb. That doesn't seem like it would do much at all. I'll wait till mine arrives and see what size bulb it has if it even says on the bulb and see if it works.
I have seen people protect cold sensitive plants by wrapping a string of the old timey Christmas tree lights around them. They use a bulb of similar size. I don't know the wattage. Particularly on small palm trees that are not cold hardy here. It usually works.

Of course how much heat this bator will hold will be directly affected by the temp of the room it sits. Temps will probably vary day and night. Will be interesting.

You putting chicken eggs in it?

The bulb mine back in the day had was just like the old time Christmas outdoor lights I believe. So ya I'm gonna need incubator in hand to see what socket size it is then go from there to see what wattage bulbs are still available. I'll have to experiment a bit probably to get it right.
I hatch in my bedroom and it has a window ac so it is fairly consistent temps in there but more on the cool side then warm side since it's so hot outside this time of year.
Yes I'll be hatching chicken eggs. Now I'll be paying attention to which pens produce the fewest clears. With only holding 2 or 3 eggs I'd like them to all be fertile.

@The Moonshiner I was collecting eggs from my one flock to hatch...(ya know to regain the title and all 🤣🤣🤣)

But ...uh...this is what they are laying...so likely not gonna hatch em...🤣🤣🤣 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Ya probably not the best to hatch but they are the best to eat.
And of course I very really get any of those here.

I just got my lil ufo incubator delivered about 30 minutes ago. Haven't got a chance to open it yet.
Now I need to get one of those inkbird thermostats asap. I didn't realize there were a few options. I'll have to do some reading which I hate but looks like there's two basic ones. A regular one and a "water proof" one for aquariums. Then each has a regular model and a wifi model. And then..... ya too many options

Back
Top Bottom