The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Girl. Don't you know stressing is not good for your health. It wears on you and makes you old.
And most people stress too often about things they have no control over anyway.
I am normally a very chill nonstressed person but I am going to miss four days of class next week due to a poultry judging contest I will be participating in at LSU 🥲

So I use the Manna Pro 7lb feeders for most of my brooders.
Haven't bought any in a couple years but I wanted to get several for this year.
My local place used to be the cheapest but not anymore. Price has climbed to this....
Screenshot_20240329-105801_Chrome.jpg

TSC has theirs for $9.99 regular price but listed now for $8.99
TSC is 45 minutes away so I checked their website just to see if they only had a few or a lot.
They have a few colors and idk why but under the price of the "teal" ones it said $5.99 at this location only. For the one I was going to.
This feeder.....
Screenshot_20240329-110132_Chrome.jpg

$5.99 each, I was there 4 minutes after they opened today.....
20240329_104024.jpg

They had 4 "teal" tops without their matching bottoms so they gave me 4 "lime' bottoms for the same price for those.
It's a good day.

Moved more birds around yesterday and kicked more cockerels to free range. Had the brilliant plan to scrape out my biggest pen and get it set up for the blue gold duckwings.
I underestimated the build up from all winter long. Remind me to go easy from now on with the straw. That stuff is no fun to shovel out once it has layers of it and build up.
Got it 3/4 done but with working the weekend not sure when I'll get it ready. Want to build a row of nest boxes for it too.
Probably be working some short shifts at least next week maybe the next two on my days off so things might get slow at home.

I collect my hatching eggs using pastic egg flats. Two or three years ago I wanted to come up with a quick and easy way to turn them a few times a day.
My boy was younger and at the stage he'd became a little problem solver. It was fun to watch how his brain worked so I laid out what I was wanting and he came up with an idea and we went to work.
This is what we came up with.....
20210511_185421_(1).jpg
20210511_185500_(1).jpg
20210511_191004_(1).jpg
20210511_191018_(1).jpg
The flats are stackable and I can fit four in it. It's just got a bolt going through it so 2 or 3 times a day i spin it a half turn.
It's worked well. Sometimes depending which way I spin it and how often in a certain direction the nut on the bolt can tighten and make it harder to spin or loosen and make it feel a little wobbly.
This year I was gonna start using a couple extra LG turners so I didn't have to turn them myself. The boy is dead set against retiring his "creation". I explained the other turners would turn them so I never had to. Wrong answer. Now he's going back to the drawing board for improvements.
The turner was kind of a rough run like a prototype but when it worked well we just rolled with it. I had always wanted to at least sand it a bit and paint it. Now he's adding in that with a rebuild I can do that.
My first thought was it needs a smoother easier way to turn that don't loosen or tighten. We ordered a lazy susan swivel thing. It will definitely hold the weight. 120 eggs actually has some weight to them. We'll see how easily and smoothly it works and decide if we need a different plan or not.
He figures we can mount a motor somewhere underneath and then it up in the air. He thought of gears. Thinking that might be a pita. Or like pulleys and a belt. Maybe a disk of some sort and something on the motor that sets up.against it. Or even some kind of rubber type wheel thing that just presses against the bottom and turns it.
I'm so lost and he's left it up to me to figure out the small details.
I don't even know what type of motor to decide on. Needs to be something that's simple to mount. Once I figure out how it's gonna work and how and where it needs mounted.
Needs to be able to handle the weight and run as slow as possible. It'll run full time so ya can't have it spinning like an airplane prop. I need it crawl and a set up that turns the eggs even less then the motor turns.
Thinking maybe a motor for a BBQ rotisserie but idk.
Any ideas, suggestions, things I need to be concerned about?

Back
Top Bottom