The most fun ever

carrottoes

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
Spokane Valley, WA
Hello! I'm Carrottoes (named after the nickname I gave my Rhode Island Red and Wyandotte). My family got our girls in March (we got a cockeral too, a Black and White Crested Polish named D.J. We didn't know he was a boy and my family didn't know that they didn't get sexed either...until he crowed on my lap. He's now at a nice farm that he won't be killed at).
They sure do grow fast! First they're little fluffballs and now they're almost full grown! Having chickens has been a FUN experience! (besides the poop...)
Anyway, we have an Americauna (Peepers), a Wyandotte (Ruth), a Rhode Island Red (Rosie), and an Australorp (Melody).
My family lets them out of the run to play (supervised, of course). They have such a great time, but whenever it seems peaceful, a hawk, crow, raven or osprey (or the occasional cat) seem to come right over and look at our girls. Whenever one comes 'round I play the rooster role and chase them off. What I want to know is are crows, ravens and cats a threat to the chickens? They're almost 4 months old and getting pretty big and this might sound silly, but can an osprey hurt them?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your chickens -- they are a lot of fun. We enjoy our birds as well.

If your predators are observing your birds then consider them a threat. I'd think the crows and ravens would be less of a threat to a mature bird but I'd limit their access. The cat will stalk and strike your chickens. The osprey is a bird of prey and although fish is considered its primary diet it is adequately equipped to do extensive damage to any small mammal should it tangle with it. Best of luck with your birds.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Thank you WalkingWolf! I have another question, our neighbors got a flock of chickens, two are roosters. I've heard stories about lone roosters finding hens and going onto the proprty, I know the two roosters aren't loners, but will they try to bring my girls over to them, come over to my yard and be the girls rooster or will they ignore them since they're a different flock?

Thank you WalkingWolf! I have another question, our neighbors got a flock of chickens, two are roosters. I've heard stories about lone roosters finding hens and going onto the proprty, I know the two roosters aren't loners, but will they try to bring my girls over to them, come over to my yard and be the girls rooster or will they ignore them since they're a different flock?
Time will tell. IMO, this would fall under the classification of normal rooster behavior. They may not be loners but unfortunately for flock animals, many times there is never enough. As I'm sure you know, this behavior pattern is oft repeated throughout the animal kingdom. We like to think of our pets as having been "domesticated" but an intact male can act quite undomesticated at times.

Pardon my manners --
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom