the nest assassin...

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Today I was so excited to go out & find 2 eggs in the bottom nest.. I knew a couple girls were getting close to start laying, so now I guess I have two active layers..

Like I said I have 7 birds (2 are now laying & 5 getting super close).. For the past 2 days I have went out to find eggs in perfect nesty box on bottom & destroyed nest on top. They throw the hay out of the top nest & the golf balls (found 1 out in the run today from top nest)..

Why is one of my hens being a nest assassin to the top nest???

BTW we have 2 nest for 7 hens. They are super huge (I swear 3 birds could fit in 1 at a time).. Here is a pic... Should I add more or take down the top nest and sit it beside the other one???

100_9205.jpg

I have absolutely no idea as mine haven't started laying yet, that I know of anyway, but I think your idea for nest boxes is genious. I am using high side dishpans from Walmart. They were less than $2 each so I got 5 and hubby will be building a shelf with a lip for them so they can't fall out. We need to get that done I guess lol.

I have mine side by side, but I have 10 layers and they all use the same box, every time. They never use the other 3. I'd put them side by side, you have the room for it. Good luck!!!

sometimes my girls will lay an egg outside the box because they all want to use the same box and its occupied lol

i would put something over the top of it to make it dark and secure feeling with a piece of plywod or something over the front of it to prevent them from being able to kick it over the edge

Back
Top Bottom