The Never Ending Hatching thread! For those of us that hatch all year long!

My eggs are a day past due. I turned the incubator up from 99.5 to 100 because last time i had eggs that took to long to hatch then they failed to hatch. starting to think that I need to buy 10 cheap thermometers and check them all in ice then keep a stack of the good ones to put in there LOL. I checked them and have one in there that is accurate. I don't know why all mine are late.
Although this time day before they were due and day they were due there was construction that shook the whole house. i hope that it didn't effect them, I'm worried it may have.

My eggs are a day past due. I turned the incubator up from 99.5 to 100 because last time i had eggs that took to long to hatch then they failed to hatch. starting to think that I need to buy 10 cheap thermometers and check them all in ice then keep a stack of the good ones to put in there LOL. I checked them and have one in there that is accurate. I don't know why all mine are late.
Although this time day before they were due and day they were due there was construction that shook the whole house. i hope that it didn't effect them, I'm worried it may have.
Try getting a reptile thermometer/humidity checker with probes that go into the incubator. I paid $22 for mine. Gives me peace of mind. I know when to add water and if I need to regulate the heat more.
Kat

Try getting a reptile thermometer/humidity checker with probes that go into the incubator. I paid $22 for mine. Gives me peace of mind. I know when to add water and if I need to regulate the heat more.
Kat
Yeah, I am thinking that I'm just having bad luck cause it's a new incubator. It takes a few times of hatching eggs before I get a feel for an incubator.

I think I could fit in here. I hatched right before Christmas, then for the nyd thing ,I let my broody have some around the 30 th, started an experiment January 1 st then set some shipped eggs in my eco the 4 th ? Then set some store eggs and bobs in my beat up lg the 5 th and added cot and a couple Serama the 7 th. I think I may need a 12 step program.

Last edited:
Not enough hours in the day syndrome lol. I need to make an hour soon to add the next batch of updates. All the crap with the upcoming move has me running around like a chicken with its head cut off...
I just moved over Christmas break. Moved the bators right before Christmas & the adult birds right after. Try stuffing almost 90 chickens, ducks & quail in a Crown Vic for an hour & a half ride with 2 kids. NOT FUN!!! I had 6 cages & crates stuffed in & strapped down in the trunk and another 8 or 9 stuffed in the front & back seat leaving 1 seat belt open for 2 kids to share. I had to listen to the kids fight over who was squishing who & my daughter scream about being pooped on the entire way. She was the one sitting next to the cages in the back seat. My poor son was crammed against the back door. Plus, it was snowing!!! My poor birds (mostly banties) were huddled together trying to stay warm as we cruised down the interstate. I had the ducks, Cochins & Silkies in the back because they handle the cold better than the OEGB, quail & the babies. Still ended up losing a few over the next couple days from the cold & stress of the move.

I have had my bators all running since about May or June with at least 1 of them on at all times. I have 4, but they aren't always all full & running. Right now I have 2 going. 1 has a staggered hatch of chicks & quail running with hatch dates from yesterday to the end of January. The other has 50 assorted mixed breed Rainbow layers set to hatch the 28th (1 egg went in late & is due the 30th). Here is a pic of my only 2 babies to hatch from the New Year's hatch (a day late on the 2nd) and 2 that hatched last night (exactly a week apart) to show you just how much a quail grows it's 1st week of life. Another has hatched since the pic was taken & we are still waiting on the other 5 who are taking their sweet time.

And here are 49 of the 50 Rainbow eggs I just set. The egg on the bottom right is from my hens & the empty hole is now filled by a light cream colored egg from my girls as well. The other 48 came from an Amish farm up the road who have a mix of EE, OE, Cuckoo Marans, RIR, & hybrid layers (with a few white leghorns in the 1st generation that have since been culled out to leave only the blue eggers) mixed to the 2nd & 3rd generation. And no, you aren't seeing things. Those eggs in the front row are PINK & the 1 on the top right is PURPLE. Everything else is a shade of blue, green, olive or chocolate. The blues range from so pale they are almost white to a pretty sky blue. The greens range from light mint to a dark olive. I am truly hatching the rainbow.

Last edited:
I just moved over Christmas break. Moved the bators right before Christmas & the adult birds right after. Try stuffing almost 90 chickens, ducks & quail in a Crown Vic for an hour & a half ride with 2 kids. NOT FUN!!! I had 6 cages & crates stuffed in & strapped down in the trunk and another 8 or 9 stuffed in the front & back seat leaving 1 seat belt open for 2 kids to share. I had to listen to the kids fight over who was squishing who & my daughter scream about being pooped on the entire way. She was the one sitting next to the cages in the back seat. My poor son was crammed against the back door. Plus, it was snowing!!! My poor birds (mostly banties) were huddled together trying to stay warm as we cruised down the interstate. I had the ducks, Cochins & Silkies in the back because they handle the cold better than the OEGB, quail & the babies. Still ended up losing a few over the next couple days from the cold & stress of the move.
Birds and kids about the same, minus the quail and add in turkeys and guineas lol. but Ill be loading the brooders in my truck and on my little trailer with the power inverter and generator to keep the heat on, all the big birds will be riding on the rollback trailer. Pretty much the night before they get moved ill have to close off the doors to the big run and the banty run. Break down the runs and stack them in the barn(also going with us lol) The big fun will be moving the pigs goat and the horses lol

Birds and kids about the same, minus the quail and add in turkeys and guineas lol. but Ill be loading the brooders in my truck and on my little trailer with the power inverter and generator to keep the heat on, all the big birds will be riding on the rollback trailer. Pretty much the night before they get moved ill have to close off the doors to the big run and the banty run. Break down the runs and stack them in the barn(also going with us lol) The big fun will be moving the pigs goat and the horses lol
Only heat we had was INSIDE the car. My poor birds in the back were lucky to survive. I was amazed they weren't covered in ice by the time we finally arrived. The funny thing was all the people passing us who practically broke their necks trying to get a look at the crazy woman driving the car full of birds. Even caught 1 lady snapping pix.
gig.gif
People act like they have never seen a chicken or duck before.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom