The newbie list

Jennifer319

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 26, 2014
I have been to the TSC and holy cow there is a lot of stuff. So, my chicken gurus here is the question. I will starting this spring with babies perhaps around April.

What is the list of "stuff" I should have in my arsenal???????? Feed, grit, calcium, ????? Bedding? Box ideas???? Cleaning??? stinky remover????

I have the most important thing which is a COOP. There are just so many choices and brands and just stuff!!!!

Jennifer

I guess my first questions are, how much do you want to spend and how fancy do want to get?

If you're looking to spend the bare minimum, you'll need feed, something to put it in, a waterer, bedding, a heat lamp and a box to brood them in. This time of year, you can usually score those very large watermelon or pumpkin cardboard boxes for nothing, they make great brooders. If you're thrifty, you can make your own feeder and drinker. If you're not feeding anything other than their feed, you won't need the grit. And even if you are feeding treats, you don't necessarily need to buy grit. I just put a tray of fine dirt in my brooder. They dust bathe in it and pick through it for pebbles. The calcium won't be needed until they're around laying age. In fact, feeding young chicks a calcium supplement or laying feed can actually be detrimental to their health, if fed long term

Best of luck when you get going with your chicks. There are a ton of options on how to set them up and get going, but it doesn't need to be anything complicated. Just keep them warm, fed and watered and they'll do just fine
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom