The newest member of our flock....

That's why I NEVER bring in birds from outside flocks; chicks only from known safe sources. I try to keep an isolated flock, and have done well for over twenty years. Paranoia pays off sometimes! If your bird is from a new chicken owner who ordered chicks from a good source, his risk is less. There are tests that can be run on blood and saliva that would rule out some diseases, so check with your vet or the state lab about that. The second part of quarantine is to move your least favorite hen in with him for another month and see how they do. Mary

What about a preventative antibiotic? If so,which one?
The real nasty, nasty chicken diseases tend to be viral diseases, so an antibiotic is totally useless. If the roo was vaccinated as a chick he may show a false positive when tested for the diseases he was vaccinated against. Some chicken diseases are so dangerous to flocks that there are rules or laws against developing a vaccine because then the blood test becomes meaningless.

As mentioned earlier the proverbial grain of salt and a bucket of common sense is your best defense.

Well so far so good today. I put up wind blocks this morning.

I suspect he was kept in a small cage and fed like a rabbit from a small bowl. DS heard him crowing last even, bummed I missed it.

His royal highness comes out to look at the world and get a drink. He eats and pecks at the scratch if I close the pop door, but otherwise stays in the coop. He also will eat inside, from a bowl. I did that yesterday. It's NOT happening today.

He wants to eat and drink, he knows where the food is.

I noticed the tips of his rose comb had frostbite. We did get down to 4'F three weeks ago, but the weather is much better now..just below freezing at night and just above during the day. I slathered him with Vaseline anyway.

He's grooming himself.

No mites or scaly leg mites noticed. But he has DE in the coop and run anyway.

Guess he's just going to have to learn how to party. 28 more days and the girls will show him around the 7 acres. LOL.

I would not do any kind of preventative antibiotic treatment. Antibiotic's don't cure these things anyway, IF he was a carrier of something, they only help prevent deaths from secondary complications such as pneumonia/secondary bacterial infections. So they do have their place, even in a viral illness since those complications are so common in any respiratory illness viral or otherwise, but I would not treat a bird who appears perfectly well, you won't accomplish anything. All you can do is keep him quarantined and watch. I'm in the same camp as Folly's place, I don't ever bring in new adult birds, we've been down the respiratory disease road here and I am now firmly planted in the paranoid camp lol!

Lol. Ok. So I'm watching for runny nose and eyes. Barking cough, wheezing, laboured breathing, mites, spots, sores, poop worms...any thing else?

Mr. still and quiet surprised me this morning. For the past two mornings, and all day for that matter, he spent the day in the coop, only coming out to nibble and get water. I have to push him out the pop door and then block it to clean out the coop. Then he'd go back in. He would occasionally make cooing or clucking noises.

TODAY it was really dark and foggy, still is. So we got out late. He was CROWING in the coop, that must have been really loud in there! I pushed him out the pop door and before I could put the block up, he was back in and he SLIPPED OUT! ARGH. The great chicken chase was ON! The ladies were still in their run, which was closed. But he got in their zone between the run and the electric fence. I watched him and he didn't poop anywhere. I shooed him out and he ran into the barn, and I shut the door. I followed and he made a walk around the barn before I tossed a towel on him and picked him up. No kicking, crying, no fuss. LOL.

Back in his run he went ! LOL

GLORY he's beautiful!

I could just hear the girls in the run as he ran by in his glory.....(in the voice of Prissy from the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoon) "A MA-UHN!"

Snort

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom