The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

How did the party turn out @JaeG ? I hope everyone had a wonderful time.

@Teila where do you find the time and energy to do all that you do? Your yard looks like it belongs in a magazine!

Except for the pouring rain (at times it really was bucketing down) it was a great day.

@Blooie great photos! I do like the more formal one, especially if it's for a more formal reason.

I'm getting 6 from an April 23rd Meyer hatch. 1 Barnevelder (to replace Trouble the roo from last April), 1 Welsummer (to replace Betty who died Thursday), 2 Barred Rocks (my first, I have 2 White Rocks) and 2 Golden Campines (because DD1 thinks they are cute)

What, he ran out of KFC??

Don't forget the olives, artichoke hearts and brocolli

No fried chicken for me Bruce, that bucket is all for DH!

We had olives on it but no artichokes or broccoli. And it was delicious! I even have 2 pieces left for my lunch tomorrow (while DH eats his chicken, lol).

I just lost an entire post. Grrrrr. Reconstruct time!

I ain’t going bowling with any of you! I love you all but there are some things best left undone and unseen!

Those poor chickens! I don’t know what else to even say!

Cap, I thought about you today when we went to Walmart and saw the little Girl Scouts selling cookies. I thought, “Cap should be here with the bunnies....the Girl Scouts and Cap would sell out!” Diversify, I always say. Well, I don’t always say that, but if I did I would!

SirRJohns, I’m so glad you and your Lady got out for a little fun. Ken and I aren’t big on wine tastings but friends of ours really enjoy them. My wine tasting days ended one too many Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hills ago.

Okay, this isn’t a compliment fishing post or a gag of some kind. I need your help. Our B&W official portraits have been here over a month, we need to choose one and we need to get it turned in for Ken’s year. There are things about each one we like and things we don’t like and we’ve gone back and forth until we’re down to the wire and no further ahead than when we first opened the box. Kids were split so that’s a stalemate. So you bird brains get to help choose, with no hints from me. Ready, set, GO!

View attachment 1339280 View attachment 1339281

I like both photos too but I like the 2nd one the best, kind of shows you two up close and personal.

@Blooie doesn't want to go out and play with meeeee
View attachment 1339356

I do too!! I just don’t want to go bowling with you!!

So far the votes are leaning toward the more formal one. You guys are helping a lot....Tam liked the closer one for the same reason Debby chose it. She says says we look like we’re still newlyweds. :sick Kenny likes the more formal one because the Grand Master’s Jewel (that big clunky thing around Ken’s neck) shows and since it’s the official GM portrait......

I’ll take some of those oranges too! See, I’ve got this really slick way of cutting and eating them!

DMC Happy birthday to your son! Glad your home safely. We got nothing out of this. A little rain, a lot of wind, and we grilled pork chops on the grill for supper. Whew!

As my father said when I thanked him the most recent time a couple of years ago (mind you they got divorced when I was 11, 50 years ago) "It was between your mother and me, not the kids".

If you think they might be playing the "guilt" card or the "belittle the other parent" card, even subconsciously, point it out in a nice way. Just because they have "issues" with each other doesn't mean the kids have those same issues and shouldn't have to decide which parent to side with. You shouldn't be put in a position to even consider such a thing. You can still love both of them equally, want to spend time with both of them, even though they don't want to be with each other.
:hugs

My parents tend to do this a lot and bicker constantly and sometimes i wish they would get divorced already aha

Find a 5 pin alley somewhere that I don't care if I get banned from.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that you and @Blooie in a bowling alley at the same time could lead to some interesting games (and maybe end up in the slammer) :gig

Oh, I'm sure they're be some of that! And maybe a bit of this View attachment 1339011 and then some of this View attachment 1339009 and then this View attachment 1339010

Just make sure you have some change to call BYC for help (aka: Bail You Chicks).

:lau

You guys are too funny!!

Good afternoon everyone.
Went on an adventure today.
My friends wanted some chickens that we're for sale, but they had to work. So we went to get them.
They wanted 50. We had 3 dog kennels. The poor things were so overcrowded that 15 were trampled to death during the 2 and a half hour drive home.View attachment 1339017
My question is... how can "cage free" battery hens look like this?
View attachment 1339025

Poor things!

You're not coming too?

Well of course! Someone has to referee you two :lol:

LOL

Oh, those poor chickens! :hit

X2

Yeah... there's about 6 more that I'm not sure will make it.
2 of the 15 I counted as dead are actually still alive... but they go so trampled that their innards are popping out of their vents. :(
The silly hutterites that we picked them up from thought we could fit them in only 2 cages... 3 obviously wasn't enough.

Aw I'm sorry. :(

I would probably cull those two. Cruel to extend the suffering.

I'll be happy to chip in for bail but remember, no pictures or it didn't happen. And without pictures, no bail money.

:eek: Those are some messed up chickens. Were they all in a large enclosure but not nearly large enough for the number of hens?? If their general health is good, they should look fine in late fall ... after their annual moult.

Probably. Most "free range" or cage free is really just a giant warehouse stuffed with birds. Did you know that in order for them to claim free range all they have to do is have a door to the outside? Or a small area to access the outdoors. It doesn't even have to be big enough for all the hens or soil or anything. Could be concrete though idk if any are. So basically you could have a big huge warehouse like for meat birds and have like two regular sized or slightly bigger chicken pop doors, like on a regular backyard coop, and that counts. EVEN IF the other hens waaaaayyyyyy on the ither side of the warehouse don't even know said pop door exists and/or it's too crowded too get there! Technically there's access to the outdoors! Ridiculous to call that "free range."

http://greenerchoices.org/2017/04/25/free-range/

Thank you for the advice. :hugs my dad keeps on throwing dirt on my mom because he's afraid she's going to file for full custody.

But anywho, we don't have to talk about my less than optimal family situation, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. :lau how are you guys? Who's gotten more chooks this year? :wee

Awww sorry.

I'll take pics of @N F C and @Blooie how about that?

I didn't get to see inside, but I'm guessing they just crammed more into the spaces that cages would have taken up. A lot of them have scabs on their backsides, I'm pretty sure from pecking/fighting for space.

Yuo Cage free really doesn't mean anything because it literally just means no cage but like you said, often they just cram more birds into that space. They're usually just in a big warehouse I think just like the meat birds but still way too many birds for the space and crammed in. And "free range" just requires having a door to the outside. Doesn't matter if all the burds can reach it or not or if it's all concrete or whatever as long as there is "access to the outdoors" which is WAY in stark contrast with what most people would picture when they hear the word free range.

Hey everyone - I had a busy day yesterday. It was my Nan's birthday on Friday (she's had many birthdays on Friday 13th) so everyone came out here for a birthday lunch yesterday (my Saturday).

I had an escapee Button quail chick that ended up getting played with by the cat. I thought the cat had hurt its leg but turns out it had found a huge wad of fluff to hobble itself with (despite my top to bottom cleaning of the house the day before). Not fun cutting that tangle off and it was really tight on one leg and that appears to be why one leg isn't so great. So that baby (who is 2-3 weeks old now) has ended up baby sitting my two early hatchers. They never cease to amaze me with their Houdini skills in breaking out of a cage!

@CuzChickens I thought I'd missed seeing you around. BYC is a great place to distract you from your worries. Hope it all gets sorted out soon for you and settles down. :hugs

@Michelle Farmer-Brown you'll have to knit your new girls some jumpers! It's horrible how they end up in that condition. At least you are going into Summer there.
http://www.twoeggz.com/int/6803729.html
A place here rehomes rescue chickens from factory farms and they were wondering why the birds from one particular place were getting to them so injured and in such a bad state with broken bones and horrible injuries. Someone who works at the place told them on the quiet it's because the 'senior member of staff' there literally throws them into the truck as hard as he can to do as much damage as possible. But this person didn't want to lose their job so couldn't do anything about it. So awful. :hit

Happy birthday to her!

And wow scary about the quail!

And wow what a serious JERK! I hope somebody reported him and he got fired or even arrested? Maybe not her but somebody could it seems or do it anonymously.

Anybody who could hurt animals isn't even really a person imo aha

Same for violence towards women and children, though of course men can definitely be victims too, not to minimize it.

But since the person in the above scenario was a guy I figured I'd talk about that angle.

I don't wanna say too much cause my friend probably doesn't want me sharing especially publically online but I have a friend that's dealing with some domestic/abuse stuff and last night I guess he tossed her around pretty bad and I just want to say that that guy above and the guy in my story are not real men.

My friend says that her dad always used to tell her brothers that the day you lay your hands on a women is the day you're no longer a man and I agree.

But being a women, I feel like there's kind of slightly a double standard. Like women seem to be able to get away with slapping guys or joking about violence or whatever or claiming a slap is just playful or whatever and maybe it is and he even finds it funny but idk, I'm of the opinion that NO ONE should touch ANYONE.

But still.

You gotta be a coward to do something like that.

He also waited till her 2 guy friends left so they wouldn't be there to defend her. Cowardly POS if you ask me.

Thankfully now in jail.

I've been given 6 one week old pullets, and hatched close to 50 this year. Sold 40 of them though. I'm raising 3 Black Copper Maran x Splash Ameraucana Olive Eggers that I hatched myself, 2 Ameraucana mixed breeds, and I bought two Crested Cream Legbars at a poultry show a few weeks ago. So right now I'm raising 13 that I'm keeping, have 35 that I'm keeping in the incubator, and then I've got 26 in an incubator to fill a 12 chick order, so I'll probably have extras from that. Let's just say my parents are very tolerant of my excessive chicken addiction. :oops:
@JaeG thanks! I've missed all of you guys. :hugs

Wow that's a lot of chicks!!

I'm glad to hear someone thinks that! You might not think it to look at my constantly full incubators (that won't be empty until September) and my 75+ chickens spread out in all their glory over 5 different pens. :0

Oh wow!

I only have 7 lol had 8, lost one in the fall to a hawk. I want way more lol

Good Morning Friends!

Thank you all for the kind comments regarding my garden :hugs I am pretty chuffed!

Howdy Cuz :frow I too am sorry to hear about your parents.

My parents divorced after my sisters and I had all left the nest. I know they thought they were doing the right thing by waiting until we left home but not really; all the fights and the atmosphere did not make for a happy childhood and we would probably have been better off if they divorced earlier.

Aaaw Michelle that is one sad photo :hit

I have to find the time, no one else is going to do it! ;) Good thing I enjoy my garden :love

Off to start my typical Sunday routine but today I will have to water the lawn as well; not enough rain this week and not much predicted next week .. winter is definitely coming and the wet season is hopefully in the rear view mirror, along with the humidity :clap

I feel the same way. Divorce would be way better ha

@Teila thankfully my parents were good about not fighting in front of us, that is the one thing they didn't do leading up to the separation/divorce and don't do much even now that it's happened, which I've been quite grateful for.

That's good!

Evening all :frow
Cuz i hope you don't find yourself in the middle. and if you do, know you don't have a vote.

Folks, this is a bit crazy, but when money became tight and reality that retirement wasn't going to work... Life became home, work, home... twice a month to the feed store... Today dw and I went to a wine tasting in historic granville. It was a blast, but had to pour dw into the truck.....

Sounds fun!

Yes, out in the parking lot. If someone buys a pet, they need stuff. 2 saturdays a month.

I meant to say they let people sell stuff at TSC in my post but I forgot a word but I think you figured that out haha

But I think we have something similar at mine. Farmers market type thing where people sell soaps and lots of cool stuff. It's not every week though

Shoot, step away for a little bit and now I'm behind...

@CuzChickens things sound like they're really popping your way with all the hatching, new chicks, and all!

@rjohns39 I'm glad you and your DW went out and had fun! I hope she won't be sorry in the morning :cool: Getting out just for any reason and away from the routine grind gives a person a fresh breath...good for you!

@JaeG sounds like you had a houseful and a good time with the birthday!

@CapricornFarm did you have good luck selling your bunnies at TSC? People used to do that all the time in FL (sometimes it was like a busy farmer's market) but I haven't seen anyone do that at the TSC I go to in WY.

I hope DH hurries and gets home from work. We're putting together one of our homemade pizzas and I'm famished! Going to try something new for us with this one. Usually we have pepperoni and sausage but all we have right now is the pepperoni so I pulled a chicken breast out of the freezer, sliced it real thin and marinated it in olive oil & seasoning. Got it cooked up and ready to include for a topping :drool
Darn it, no i didn't sell anything! But i have a new hay supplier and i got some free wood, and picked up a sprayer hubby wanted. Very tired from getting up early.

Got behind ha

Shoot, step away for a little bit and now I'm behind...

@CuzChickens things sound like they're really popping your way with all the hatching, new chicks, and all!

@rjohns39 I'm glad you and your DW went out and had fun! I hope she won't be sorry in the morning :cool: Getting out just for any reason and away from the routine grind gives a person a fresh breath...good for you!

@JaeG sounds like you had a houseful and a good time with the birthday!

@CapricornFarm did you have good luck selling your bunnies at TSC? People used to do that all the time in FL (sometimes it was like a busy farmer's market) but I haven't seen anyone do that at the TSC I go to in WY.

I hope DH hurries and gets home from work. We're putting together one of our homemade pizzas and I'm famished! Going to try something new for us with this one. Usually we have pepperoni and sausage but all we have right now is the pepperoni so I pulled a chicken breast out of the freezer, sliced it real thin and marinated it in olive oil & seasoning. Got it cooked up and ready to include for a topping :drool

That sounds delicious!

The difference is amazing!

Here I have the whole house fan on.

Orange tree blossoms are filling the house with its aroma

Ha choo!

Sounds amazing

I'm getting 6 from an April 23rd Meyer hatch. 1 Barnevelder (to replace Trouble the roo from last April), 1 Welsummer (to replace Betty who died Thursday), 2 Barred Rocks (my first, I have 2 White Rocks) and 2 Golden Campines (because DD1 thinks they are cute)

What, he ran out of KFC??

Don't forget the olives, artichoke hearts and brocolli

I love my Barred Rock from Meyer's. She can be a little bit bossy sometimes but maybe that is just normal chicken pecking order? She's definitely at or near the top. I think one of Australorps is #1.

But anyway, she is very smart. IMO my smartest chicken. And she is beautiful.

I just lost an entire post. Grrrrr. Reconstruct time!

I ain’t going bowling with any of you! I love you all but there are some things best left undone and unseen!

Those poor chickens! I don’t know what else to even say!

Cap, I thought about you today when we went to Walmart and saw the little Girl Scouts selling cookies. I thought, “Cap should be here with the bunnies....the Girl Scouts and Cap would sell out!” Diversify, I always say. Well, I don’t always say that, but if I did I would!

SirRJohns, I’m so glad you and your Lady got out for a little fun. Ken and I aren’t big on wine tastings but friends of ours really enjoy them. My wine tasting days ended one too many Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hills ago.

Okay, this isn’t a compliment fishing post or a gag of some kind. I need your help. Our B&W official portraits have been here over a month, we need to choose one and we need to get it turned in for Ken’s year. There are things about each one we like and things we don’t like and we’ve gone back and forth until we’re down to the wire and no further ahead than when we first opened the box. Kids were split so that’s a stalemate. So you bird brains get to help choose, with no hints from me. Ready, set, GO!

View attachment 1339280 View attachment 1339281

LOL bunnies and cookies! My kinda business!

And I like the first one best.

I like the left the best but both are great!!

The first pic

X2

@Blooie doesn't want to go out and play with meeeee
View attachment 1339356

I will!

Only if it's normal, fully clothed, won't get us arrested, bowling though lol

This one
1327855-92e350a3b3d4c9d34acb069a2f0b5227.jpg

Me too

Except for the pouring rain (at times it really was bucketing down) it was a great day.

@Blooie great photos! I do like the more formal one, especially if it's for a more formal reason.

Agreed.

Can you ship them to your friends?

Please.

No fried chicken for me Bruce, that bucket is all for DH!

We had olives on it but no artichokes or broccoli. And it was delicious! I even have 2 pieces left for my lunch tomorrow (while DH eats his chicken, lol).

I'm hungry now

I like both photos too but I like the 2nd one the best, kind of shows you two up close and personal.

I do like that one too but I think I like 1 best.

I do too!! I just don’t want to go bowling with you!!

So far the votes are leaning toward the more formal one. You guys are helping a lot....Tam liked the closer one for the same reason Debby chose it. She says says we look like we’re still newlyweds. :sick Kenny likes the more formal one because the Grand Master’s Jewel (that big clunky thing around Ken’s neck) shows and since it’s the official GM portrait......

I’ll take some of those oranges too! See, I’ve got this really slick way of cutting and eating them!

DMC Happy birthday to your son! Glad your home safely. We got nothing out of this. A little rain, a lot of wind, and we grilled pork chops on the grill for supper. Whew!

If it is for a formal thing and the GM thing then definitely the one that shows the necklace!

Back
Top Bottom