The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Arizona as Snowbird country? Nope. I’m not even sure it’s right for critters with opposable thumbs! When the weather report every single night says there’s a severe heat warning, flashing in bright red all over the screen, and gives the advice for preventing (list litany of heat related emergencies here) as the lead stories, it would seem like sensible people would stick a meat thermometer in their arms and decide they were overdone.

But they don’t. They just stand in air conditioned buildings and share horror stories of melted asphalt, using potholders to handle their cars’ steering wheels, burning their legs on metal picnic table legs. And who in their right mind puts metal slides and swings on playgrounds in an area where there is no doggone shade? Kids can either wear jeans to play and bake or wear shorts and be sautéed. You’d think they’d figure out that human bodies can’t handle that kind of heat! Ha! Instead they bake cookies on their carhoods and post time lapse videos of it on Facebook. “But it’s a dry heat.” Yeah, well, so is an Air Fryer and I don’t want to live in one of those, either!

And there’s just something depressing about seeing a too-tanned, dried, wrinkled 85 year old woman in a pair of short-shorts and an orange striped tube top fanning herself in the frozen food aisle. You’d think someone would be kind and tell her that her heavily pencilled brown eyebrows have melted down her face to become an awesome mustache and her red lipstick now resembles a strapless bra, but they don’t. So she just stays there, fixated and fanning, and nobody wants to ask her to move so they can get to the Bird’s Eye frozen tofu. <sigh> Some cope with the heat by shopping in bikinis....how well that goes over depends on the wearer. The cantaloupe bins in the produce section can be eye opening at times.

See, Wyoming winters are the great equalizer. Everything is the same shape and color. Nobody notices the extra winter poundage. Everyone looks exactly the same and we just chalk it up to 5 layers of clothes and a winter coat and scarf. Kids on the playground are all multi-colored Oompa Loompahs and the only risk there is taking someone else’s kid home because you couldn't tell them apart. Shoot, we might not even realize the accidental kidnapping until the new kid sits down at the table that night and actually likes the meatloaf! But we don’t panic. Pretty soon there’ll be a knock on the door and our Oompah Loompah, identified only because he told his temporary parents that he loved the liver ‘n onions, will be returned.

Hairdos are another thing nobody worries about. If the hair isn’t hidden under a wooly hat with a football team logo on it, then it’s just as windblown as any other uncovered head. There are no white, or, blue, or red fancy cars in Wyoming in winter....every car is the same dingy brownish gray color, with ice mud flaps clinging to the wheel wells. Most of the time you can only tell which car in the Walmart parking lot is yours by clicking the key transmitter, and even then you might not see it because the lights are also painted over in Wyoming brownish gray. Ear muffs keep you from hearing the “beep” too. So that is mostly a trial and error endeavor. Um, just for the record, people get a lot more upset about you messing with their cars than they do you stealing their kids.

I’ll take Wyoming. Yes, it’s cold and windy and snowy. But slap on another layer and it’s doable.
:lau:gig Oh lord! My side hurts from laughing! I'm pretty sure I know the lady in the strapless bra! Heads up tho' those are her actual lips!

Arizona as Snowbird country? Nope. I’m not even sure it’s right for critters with opposable thumbs! When the weather report every single night says there’s a severe heat warning, flashing in bright red all over the screen, and gives the advice for preventing (list litany of heat related emergencies here) as the lead stories, it would seem like sensible people would stick a meat thermometer in their arms and decide they were overdone.

But they don’t. They just stand in air conditioned buildings and share horror stories of melted asphalt, using potholders to handle their cars’ steering wheels, burning their legs on metal picnic table legs. And who in their right mind puts metal slides and swings on playgrounds in an area where there is no doggone shade? Kids can either wear jeans to play and bake or wear shorts and be sautéed. You’d think they’d figure out that human bodies can’t handle that kind of heat! Ha! Instead they bake cookies on their carhoods and post time lapse videos of it on Facebook. “But it’s a dry heat.” Yeah, well, so is an Air Fryer and I don’t want to live in one of those, either!

And there’s just something depressing about seeing a too-tanned, dried, wrinkled 85 year old woman in a pair of short-shorts and an orange striped tube top fanning herself in the frozen food aisle. You’d think someone would be kind and tell her that her heavily pencilled brown eyebrows have melted down her face to become an awesome mustache and her red lipstick now resembles a strapless bra, but they don’t. So she just stays there, fixated and fanning, and nobody wants to ask her to move so they can get to the Bird’s Eye frozen tofu. <sigh> Some cope with the heat by shopping in bikinis....how well that goes over depends on the wearer. The cantaloupe bins in the produce section can be eye opening at times.

See, Wyoming winters are the great equalizer. Everything is the same shape and color. Nobody notices the extra winter poundage. Everyone looks exactly the same and we just chalk it up to 5 layers of clothes and a winter coat and scarf. Kids on the playground are all multi-colored Oompa Loompahs and the only risk there is taking someone else’s kid home because you couldn't tell them apart. Shoot, we might not even realize the accidental kidnapping until the new kid sits down at the table that night and actually likes the meatloaf! But we don’t panic. Pretty soon there’ll be a knock on the door and our Oompah Loompah, identified only because he told his temporary parents that he loved the liver ‘n onions, will be returned.

Hairdos are another thing nobody worries about. If the hair isn’t hidden under a wooly hat with a football team logo on it, then it’s just as windblown as any other uncovered head. There are no white, or, blue, or red fancy cars in Wyoming in winter....every car is the same dingy brownish gray color, with ice mud flaps clinging to the wheel wells. Most of the time you can only tell which car in the Walmart parking lot is yours by clicking the key transmitter, and even then you might not see it because the lights are also painted over in Wyoming brownish gray. Ear muffs keep you from hearing the “beep” too. So that is mostly a trial and error endeavor. Um, just for the record, people get a lot more upset about you messing with their cars than they do you stealing their kids.

I’ll take Wyoming. Yes, it’s cold and windy and snowy. But slap on another layer and it’s doable.
Too funny! :lau

Oh, I do! And Wyoming Blue ought to be an official color!

At this point, I honestly have to say yes! The drier it is down here, the greater our fire risk and harder it is on our surrounding farms and economy. We depend heavily on spring runnoff from the mountains for filling aquifers and for irrigation, so if the snowpack is down in the mountains it affects the entire Big Horn Basin and forest fires become a much bigger threat.

For me personally I’d just as soon it stay sunny and dry for awhile yet until we’re not traveling as much. Hate driving in snow and ice with limited visibility and strong winds. But I’m not the only person living in the BH Basin, and the lack of snow up here is hurting them.

Yeah, we said the same thing the first time we went down to Lake Havasu to visit Ken’s parents in their new home. We were there the first week in May and it was glorious! Nice and warm, beautiful colors, unbelievably beautiful and great for outdoorsy folks like we were at that time. Cactus and desert plants in bloom everywhere. We were just there 2 days but were convinced we might like retirement there just fine!

Then we took a Jamie and Little Diane there for 10 days. Ten looooong days. Mom and Dad’s house was on a hill, and he’d also purchased the lot next door so he could enjoy the critters, the view of Lake Havasu, and not worry about another house blocking it. “Bring my greats down for the 4th of July!” Mom said. “We’ll take them to see a London Bridge(Little Diane was about 6 at the time) and then pack a big basket, take the pontoon boat out to the cove, and watch the fireworks over the lake while we eat a late supper!” Thought. I. Was.Going. To. Die. Snakes everywhere. Burning hot. Scorpions in our shoes. Burning hot. Coyotes getting in the trash if Dad forgot to lock the lids, and coyotes sniffing around the cars in the driveway until the kids were scared to even go outside. Burning hot. Heat rashes in places nice people don’t talk about. Outnumbered on the lake 100 to one with speedboats, jet skis, and the “beautiful people” - all lean, young, and looking like they were carved out of cream cheese - taking over with wild parties. Did I mention the heat? Outdoorsy meant the half hour before sunrise and the half hour after sunset the rest of the day was spent melting. Well,you’ll notice where we ended up! :celebrate
My neighbors used to go every year to Lake Havasu for a couple months in the winter. They have not gone this year. I guess I won’t go in July!

Priceless:gig

How's Opie doing NFC?
How did the cookie icing turn out this time?

How are you doing with the braces DMC? Everything adjusting according to schedule?

Hi Michelle, it's good to see you! :frow
Opie is finally back to his usual ornery self, thanks for asking! DH and I were saying it's nice to see him being a brat again :p

The 2nd round with the cookie icing went better than the 1st but still not 100% happy with it. DH has begged me to stop making fat bombs so I don't think there will be a 3rd try (for a while).

I was just in yesterday for new wires and brackets so my mouth hurts today. For the most part they are on track. Dentist thinks my tongue is causing issues with a couple teeth but I don’t believe that.(I could be wrong though) He’s talking about putting “cleats” behind my teeth to retrain the tongue and said I wouldn’t like him very much. I’m thinking he’s right!! 5 months down:ththanks for asking:hugs

Give your tongue a good talking to DMC, tell it to behave. Those cleats sound like zero fun :(

As usual, you hit the old nail on the head B!
(Although I have a red car so I can be found in a snowbank)

Back
Top Bottom