The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Ok. I've pondered whether to tell the story or not. Guess I will... Dad was in the hospital on life support. And he decided he wanted to call it quits. Mom couldn't do it and the medical power of attorney fell to me. They called me on Friday and asked that I sign the order by fax. My answer was pretty straight forward... NO!. I told them that I'd come out Monday and if that's what he wanted, I'd sign the papers. Thankfully, I was spared the decision. He passed on Sunday.

Ok. I've pondered whether to tell the story or not. Guess I will... Dad was in the hospital on life support. And he decided he wanted to call it quits. Mom couldn't do it and the medical power of attorney fell to me. They called me on Friday and asked that I sign the order by fax. My answer was pretty straight forward... NO!. I told them that I'd come out Monday and if that's what he wanted, I'd sign the papers. Thankfully, I was spared the decision. He passed on Sunday.

Having to sign something like that by fax seems pretty cold, I don't blame you for not doing it Bob.

Oh man! That's awful. My mom had a huge, nasty stroke brought on by the meds she took for emphysema. She had specifically asked for DNR status years earlier, and trusted me to carry out her request. They put a wrist band on her with this designation. I sat with her for 7 days looking at it. That was still preferable to sending a fax.

Oh man! That's awful. My mom had a huge, nasty stroke brought on by the meds she took for emphysema. She had specifically asked for DNR status years earlier, and trusted me to carry out her request. They put a wrist band on her with this designation. I sat with her for 7 days looking at it. That was still preferable to sending a fax.
Not to bang on an admittedly morbid topic, but my hubs and I were just talking about this thread and have just learned that my father and hubs mother both passed on the same day 1 year apart. Just kinda strange I think.

I suppose in some ways, my dad passed in an "easier" way (if there is such a thing). The last time I saw him was a few months before he died and he told me it was going to happen soon. His heart had been repaired so many times, there wasn't anything for the doctors to work with any more. He was ready, living at home and enjoying things to the final day when it happened in the blink of an eye.

That was 2010 and I still think about him every day. My dad was an amazing man. I'm glad he didn't suffer for months as some of you had to watch your family members. Condolences to you all for your losses :hugs
My dad was lucky too. Perfectly fine health wise. He was gone before he hit the floir from an aneurysm.

Back
Top Bottom