The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

A belated Happy New Year everybody. Sorry it's been so long since my last visit.

I have a red sky photo to share, but sadly it's because of the awful wildfires happening in Australia. The smoke is so thick and the wind is blowing it in the right direction to send it over us here in NZ. Apparently this has never happened before, not to this extreme anyway.

5pm tonight (it would usually be bright light until at least 8.30pm at this time of year):
View attachment 1994554
It feels like the apocalypse!

Our new piece of land is about 11.6 acres. It's got quite a big road frontage and is a bit of a funny shape but there's an old road running along the back of the property which I love (makes it easy to get around, that's for sure). Here are some photos for you:
View attachment 1994558
This was back in November when the grass hadn't gone to seed and we were getting sunnier weather. Currently it's been quite grey and definitely cooler than normal.

View attachment 1994559 View attachment 1994560 View attachment 1994562
These photos are from the other day and you can see how cloudy and hazy it is.

And we got more calves. We haven't named them yet as they only got dropped off on Friday. There's no way 4 were even going to make a dent in the crazy overgrown grass we have and the new babies were just too tempting with the crosses that they are seeing as I want a milking cow (or 2 or 3 or 4...). 2 are Shorthorn/MRI crosses (both dual purpose breeds) and 1 is a Hereford/Jersey cross which I've read people rave about as housecows because they are so docile (and this one is a cutie). One of the Shorthorn/MRIs is huge and at 10 weeks is the same size as the almost 5 week olds. By the time they are 2 years old I'll probably have to cut down to 4 cows which will be hard as they are all so beautiful.
View attachment 1994563 View attachment 1994564 View attachment 1994565
Ominous looking picture for sure Jae! Cute calves!

A belated Happy New Year everybody. Sorry it's been so long since my last visit.

I have a red sky photo to share, but sadly it's because of the awful wildfires happening in Australia. The smoke is so thick and the wind is blowing it in the right direction to send it over us here in NZ. Apparently this has never happened before, not to this extreme anyway.

5pm tonight (it would usually be bright light until at least 8.30pm at this time of year):
View attachment 1994554
It feels like the apocalypse!

Our new piece of land is about 11.6 acres. It's got quite a big road frontage and is a bit of a funny shape but there's an old road running along the back of the property which I love (makes it easy to get around, that's for sure). Here are some photos for you:
View attachment 1994558
This was back in November when the grass hadn't gone to seed and we were getting sunnier weather. Currently it's been quite grey and definitely cooler than normal.

View attachment 1994559 View attachment 1994560 View attachment 1994562
These photos are from the other day and you can see how cloudy and hazy it is.

And we got more calves. We haven't named them yet as they only got dropped off on Friday. There's no way 4 were even going to make a dent in the crazy overgrown grass we have and the new babies were just too tempting with the crosses that they are seeing as I want a milking cow (or 2 or 3 or 4...). 2 are Shorthorn/MRI crosses (both dual purpose breeds) and 1 is a Hereford/Jersey cross which I've read people rave about as housecows because they are so docile (and this one is a cutie). One of the Shorthorn/MRIs is huge and at 10 weeks is the same size as the almost 5 week olds. By the time they are 2 years old I'll probably have to cut down to 4 cows which will be hard as they are all so beautiful.
View attachment 1994563 View attachment 1994564 View attachment 1994565

Hi Jae! Your property and the new cows are beautiful, glad to see the pictures! Those fires over in Australia are scary, hope the smoke doesn't cause you all problems.

It was good to hear from you, drop in any time you can with more pictures and updates on how you're doing :D

Back
Top Bottom