The Old Folks Home

Ours is a Generac - Guardian Series. The gas can be LNG, or LP for ours. You test start it once every 3 months, or set it so it does it automatically. You only run it for a couple minutes, so as not to waste gas. That ensures your battery is charged, and your transfer switch is working properly, so it's ready when you need it.

That sounds easy enough!

My folks had a huge one when they first moved off Wayne's rented farm they went to Bonney lake the way out sticks power would go all the time so he tied in to the house there was a switch in the laundry room to flip he bought a new Generac big whole house unit built it a small shed but it could run the house

Now they're saying it's not going to hit us. That's ok, I have a whole shelving unit for canned goods, so it will all go onto it. I need to go through all the canned stuff anyway. I've got some things that have expired, and need to be replaced. Now is as good a time as any.

In the midst of all the other things going on, one of the grands had a birthday today. We let her pick where she wanted to go eat last night. Of all places, she picked IHOP.

We had a nice little party for her after supper this evening. I ordered the cake yesterday. Dh picked it up this morning, along with a few things, and I hid everything, so she didn't see it. Later, I went shopping for a few birthday gifts. Since Toys R Us went out of business, there really aren't any good places here to get toys. I did the toy section of our Wal Mart, but this one has a lousy selection. I did manage to get a few nice things, but I'll order a few more things online later tonight.
I may have mentioned. We have a 2 year supply. We have bins of whole wheat. Suger. Flour. Rice. Like you, need to go through it. I know I have some canned tuna that needs to be thrown out. Need to also replace our water supply. We have a nice generator too. Wood supply too, even though we don't have a wood fireplace. We do have a round above ground pit we can burn wood in. Our bigggy Wasatch earthquake is due any time now. But really, it's good to have supplies, you never know what could happen. Finances could go wrong for some reason..other family may need help. . Neighbors.. A lot of good reasons to have supplies on hand. Right? :)

Sorry for the rant, but this Old Folk has something to say!

Do you ever go outside? Are there grass, bushes, trees?

Don't do what I did and get complacent about ticks. We haven't seen one here since early July, and I didn't see the one that got me. Did you read about my migraine? That was no migraine. I contracted anaplasmosis, one of the less well-known tick-borne diseases, and after 4 days of that headache was in the hospital with sepsis, on IV antibiotics and fluids, with a white blood cell count less than half of normal, platelet count of 33,000 (normal = 140,000), low potassium and magnesium (I take magnesium daily), elevated liver function tests, and blood and sugar in my urine.

Pain that felt like railroad spikes being driven repeatedly into my head appeared intermittently, and a delay at the hospital pharmacy meant almost 2 hours of whimpering and writhing in pain before adequate doses of morphine and two doses of Vicodin stopped it.

Please, please, take all the tick precautions. I own (and will go right back to using) Lyme-Eez gaiters, pyrethrin-infused clothes, and DEET spray for my boots, and I will stop just ducking out unprepared to catch the chickens or pick tomatoes. I will check my body as soon as I come in, because a tick that will give you anaplasmosis only needs to be attached for 4-6 hours, not 12 or 24 or 48. I won't imagine that I should restart precautions after ticks resurge in the fall. I will remember that if I see any tick, there's a 50% chance that it will be infected with Lyme or another dangerous virus in Vermont.

Don't become complacent! It's so easy, and the price is so high. I was so sick that my thinking was impaired and into the equation about whether or not to seek medical help went the hour-long drive to my PCP, the lack of nearby urgent care centers, and other factors that are interesting logistical problems but not reasons to neglect essential medical care.

Don't do what I did. The risk is too high.

Don't do what I did and get complacent about ticks. We haven't seen one here since early July, and I didn't see the one that got me. Did you read about my migraine? That was no migraine. I contracted anaplasmosis, one of the less well-known tick-borne diseases, and after 4 days of that headache was in the hospital with sepsis, on IV antibiotics and fluids, with a white blood cell count less than half of normal, platelet count of 33,000 (normal = 140,000), low potassium and magnesium (I take magnesium daily), elevated liver function tests, and blood and sugar in my urine.

Pain that felt like railroad spikes being driven repeatedly into my head appeared intermittently, and a delay at the hospital pharmacy meant almost 2 hours of whimpering and writhing in pain before adequate doses of morphine and two doses of Vicodin stopped it.

Please, please, take all the tick precautions. I own (and will go right back to using) Lyme-Eez gaiters, pyrethrin-infused clothes, and DEET spray for my boots, and I will stop just ducking out unprepared to catch the chickens or pick tomatoes. I will check my body as soon as I come in, because a tick that will give you anaplasmosis only needs to be attached for 4-6 hours, not 12 or 24 or 48. I won't imagine that I should restart precautions after ticks resurge in the fall. I will remember that if I see any tick, there's a 50% chance that it will be infected with Lyme or another dangerous virus in Vermont.

Don't become complacent! It's so easy, and the price is so high. I was so sick that my thinking was impaired and into the equation about whether or not to seek medical help went the hour-long drive to my PCP, the lack of nearby urgent care centers, and other factors that are interesting logistical problems but not reasons to neglect essential medical care.

Sorry for your suffering! I contracted Lyme disease and although I got pretty prompt testing and treatment I am still suffering after effects. I feel like the medical community is still learning about these tick borne illnesses and lots of people suffer needlessly. Don't forget to treat dogs and cats that go outside, as they can bring the ticks inside. I check our dogs daily.

:hugs

Lyme survivor here and I agree 100%

I never go into the woods without literally bathing in deep woods off. I also have a bottle of minocycline in my supply box that is taken if I even find a tick lightly attached to me and yes, the ticks around here will try to bite even with off and pyethrin sprayed on your clothing. I've found ticks crawling up my legs inspite of wearing enough Off to grow a tail or second head but I'd rather take that risk than go through another bout of Lyme. So far I've had 2 bouts of it.

I actually had a friend who is a lab tech tell me that there were no recorded incidents of Lyme in Missouri. I just laughed at him and said, well, there is now. You are looking at one. So don't believe what you read about Lyme. It is out there and there is a tick out there just waiting for you to walk by.

DH gets a kick out me because I only use an electric razor to shave my legs. That stubble is important because I can feel tick on my skin when they brush the hairs.

Off to the doctors this morning....oh. Joy....

@maddysmamaw! Good seeing you! Wondered where you have been keeping yourself! How is Maddy doing?

:thsepsis..! Plus all of the other. How long were you in the hospital?

Y'all are so lucky to have kids. You know I live vicariously through your experiences and activities with your kids and grandkids.

One of our big worries is who will help us when we are in our 80's and getting around worse than we are now.

Embrace those kids!
Did not know that you don't have children. Able to enjoy some nephews and nieces?

Back
Top Bottom