The Old Folks Home

Good morning, OF.
Good Morning Old Folks.

We will vacuum seal a years + of sweet corn. We have some cook in the bag bags to try a few of and we will try one before we freeze a lot from the main crop of sweet corn that should be planted this coming Saturday. The rain we are getting today is supposed to be the end of it for a week. :)
Do you cut it off the cob before freezing? I freeze a year's worth every season. Just can't buy GOOD frozen sweet corn.
Norovirus was a problem here recently.
Been there/done that. Hope it was a one time experience.

Good morning, OF.

Do you cut it off the cob before freezing? I freeze a year's worth every season. Just can't buy GOOD frozen sweet corn.
Yes we always cut it off the cob. We have been putting it up without even blanching it when it is cut off the cob. Kandy Korn is the best we have found to grow and store. I think this year we may just can a load of 14 QT jars.

I'm sitting here looking at Pinkeye Purple Hull peas, Blue Lake Pole Beans, Roma II Bush Beans with not way to scratch the itch I have to get them planted. 80° degrees starting next week. It will be time for beans and squash in addition to the main crop corn patch to be planted. As soon as those are all in I've got two lots of okra to plant. One is the old favorite Cowhorn and the other is the go to standard Clemson Spineless. Most of our planting will be Clemson Spineless as is has been a proven producer for us and highest quality for any use. Wife dry blanches that in her dehydrator and stores it in QT jars that are vacuumed sealed. We will have the last QT today at lunch. Fried of course.

I'm sitting here looking at Pinkeye Purple Hull peas, Blue Lake Pole Beans, Roma II Bush Beans with not way to scratch the itch I have to get them planted. 80° degrees starting next week. It will be time for beans and squash in addition to the main crop corn patch to be planted. As soon as those are all in I've got two lots of okra to plant. One is the old favorite Cowhorn and the other is the go to standard Clemson Spineless. Most of our planting will be Clemson Spineless as is has been a proven producer for us and highest quality for any use. Wife dry blanches that in her dehydrator and stores it in QT jars that are vacuumed sealed. We will have the last QT today at lunch. Fried of course.
That sounds like some nice varieties!

Need to make a correction here on the okra processing. What she uses for fried okra is dry blanched in the dehydrator and then frozen. For okra cooked with tomatoes and onions that is dried completely in the dehydrator and vacuumed sealed in QT jars.

Old Folks confusion is working today.

"Getting old isn't for sissies." Yes, Mom, I remember that day.

When I was leaving to go to the club, I noticed a pair of starlings with nesting material flying around the front porch. Upon inspection I found loose siding under the eaves above the steps. "Okay, I'll fix that when I come home." Why should such an easy job have been so difficult for someone with hurting hands and shoulders? If I allowed myself to do so, I could become depressed over this. The Princess (she has to monitor any ladder activity) said, "We could always hire someone to do these things." Hell NO.

Anway, it is fixed and the starlings have been evicted.

Back
Top Bottom