The Old Folks Home

Yep the old adage:

One white foot..buy'em
Two white feet..try'em
Three white feet...look well about'em
Four white feet...live without'em

Katees feet are amazing. One inch thick wall I kid you not. and jet black. If she moves about in the sand some they get shiny on their own.

I had one trainer tell me flat out Draft horses are too heavy to go barefoot. Really? Katee has never been shod.

deb

I'm not all into the "flat tax" thing. All the "I'm special" corporate CEOs making MILLIONS and MILLIONS every year can pay a higher percentage than people making minimum wage or even "middle income" people. But I would love to see them get rid of tons of deductions. Including the home mortgage deduction
hide.gif
. Phase it out over 15 years. It was originally intended to help people afford a house but you can write off (I think) $100K a year. If you can afford a house that has $100K of interest you sure don't need help to buy a house. And people figure the interest deduction into their home choice and buy a bigger/more expensive house BECAUSE they CAN write it off.

Just one example. Graduated flat tax please
big_smile.png

chicken commute

0.jpg

That is too funny!!! Wouldn't be my chickens, they really don't like wandering around in snow. They will avoid the stuff even when it is not even 1/2" deep. But then, there is no place they want to go through the snow, no forage in the winter.

The type of hoof also matters. I remember we had one horse when I was growing up that had a "stripe" of light colored hoof going down one of his front hooves. That area was thinner than the dark black of the regular horse hooves you're used to, and it always used to fracture more easily than the dark hooves. Fast forward, of the 2 goats I have one has black hooves and is fine and one has lighter colored hooves and they're a mess when we go to do hooves. Pip's feet are easily trimmable and the part comes off in one big chunk. Caramel's feet are full of little chunks of cracked hooves that require digging to get them all flat.

Unfortunately Pip is the "good" behaved goat. Trying to cut Caramel's hooves is a circus show.

How about a tutorial on goat hoof care? Complete with pics/videos, of course.

I have yet to trim my goats' hooves. I know, it's way past time. I had horses, and took care of their hooves, daily. Although I watched hundreds of times while they were trimmed or shod, I never did it myself.

I watched the previous owner trim the goats before I brought them home and thought, "That didn't look too hard." I bought a pair of hoof shears at TSC..... and that is as far as I have gotten.

Quote:
I learned how from a youTube video. Its easy peasy as long as you have coopreration....

0.jpg

this is not the video I saw but a good one. Since I only had four goats their suggested tool was a set of fiskers Pruning shears they look just like the ones above.

ONe of the online books I read suggested once you get them triimmed build a climbing structure and cover it with the kind of grit you put on steps to keep from slipping. What that does is help them wear down their own hooves.

deb

I learned how from a youTube video. Its easy peasy as long as you have coopreration....

0.jpg

this is not the video I saw but a good one. Since I only had four goats their suggested tool was a set of fiskers Pruning shears they look just like the ones above.

ONe of the online books I read suggested once you get them triimmed build a climbing structure and cover it with the kind of grit you put on steps to keep from slipping. What that does is help them wear down their own hooves.

deb
pop.gif
clap.gif

:oops: Sorry Al... wasn't pointing fingers or anything... Understand mitigating circumstances and all that... Of course the TV shows choose the "best" examples to sell advertising on the show too. Shock and awe and all that. Anyway, who wants to discuss all that nastiness today... Happy Easter all :bun . (It is Easter today, right? :confused: )

Well, for most people, yep...

Not me though, I celebrate on May 2.

And nah, I didn't think you were sounding judgemental... I just got wordy. :D

And Diva, talking about heat... There was a bit of a :barnie in our church today. Obviously the fat people had set the heater, and for the first time actually felt comfy, but the skinny people almost froze to death. :rolleyes: What cha gunna do. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom