The Old Folks Home

sickbyc.gif

Diva dont read this link

http://meat.tamu.edu/ansc-307-honors/conversion-muscle-to-meat/

near as I can read Rigor can start as soon as 2 hours or as long as 72 hours. And last as long as 32 hours.... (beef)

The industry standard for beef is to hang the carcas for 7 days before butchering. But.... They can chill the beef down to ten degrees to speed up the process. Makes the meat tough though.

Ideal temperature for hanging beeff is between 35 and 37 degrees. Keeps decay at bay and allows the natural course of rigor and the chemical reactions that are causing it to finish the process.

deb

Good morning y'all. Sorry I left ya hanging Beer. And thank you Latestarter and Deb for helping him out.
Yes Beer I was asking about ""Rigger" for our rabbits we put in the freezer yesterday. I assumed I would have to wait for them to go into and our of Rigger to be able to freeze them so we can have them for supper.
I figure 3 days like chickens. But I was not sure and I could not find the info when I googled it.
So I figured we would just wait three days and them put them in the freezer.

And Raven I was not sure if Felix would be on or not. Thanks for your help.

I've usually vacuum packed the meat right away, and put it in the fridge, then thrown it in the freezer the next day(sometimes I forget for up to a couple of days). I haven't really noticed a difference in tenderness, but I tend to roast them slowly most of the time anyway. I wouldn't freeze right away though, except maybe with wild rabbits if you want to keep down the gaminess.

With waterfowl I would get it into the freezer as quickly as possible, every time I've kept mallards in the fridge for a couple of days before freezing I've ended up with the taste of spoiled liver in the meat.

I remember reading something about some people using "degree hours" for how long they let the meat hang, for beef it was something like 300 degree hours, so after butchering, you should keep the meet at +1C for 300 hours, +2C for 150 hours and at +10C it only takes 30 hours. There were all kinds of different values for different meats, but for some reason I can't find any info on it now. Also, it only works in Celsius.

I've usually vacuum packed the meat right away, and put it in the fridge, then thrown it in the freezer the next day(sometimes I forget for up to a couple of days). I haven't really noticed a difference in tenderness, but I tend to roast them slowly most of the time anyway. I wouldn't freeze right away though, except maybe with wild rabbits if you want to keep down the gaminess.

With waterfowl I would get it into the freezer as quickly as possible, every time I've kept mallards in the fridge for a couple of days before freezing I've ended up with the taste of spoiled liver in the meat.

I remember reading something about some people using "degree hours" for how long they let the meat hang, for beef it was something like 300 degree hours, so after butchering, you should keep the meet at +1C for 300 hours, +2C for 150 hours and at +10C it only takes 30 hours. There were all kinds of different values for different meats, but for some reason I can't find any info on it now. Also, it only works in Celsius.
Thanks so much vehve I do appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom