The Old Folks Home

So last night I went to give my chickens some left over corn on the cob and there was a little rice on the plate. well as I am sitting there giving them the corn cobs my husband walks up and notices the rice. Immedietely stated that chickens can not have rice and that is why they don't throw it at weddings any more. Is this true? Did I hurt my little chickens?
Gosh my chickens should all be dead - along with millions of other Asian chickens.

From Wiki Answers:

Chickens can and do eat uncooked rice. Chickens can digest some pretty tough foods. This is because they grind the food in their gizzard(?) before digesting. Most birds (even small ones) can digest uncooked rice. People that say they can't are basing the idea on old wife's tales they have heard - not facts. They do prefer it cooked thou:)

Oh, they stopped throwing it at weddings because it's a mess and gets everywhere. People in dressy shoes (ladies in heels) slipped on uncooked rice kernels all over concrete walkways and suddenly rice is bad for birds, oh no! So then folks went to tossing bird seed because it was more likely for birds to eat the stuff more quickly AND they crunch rather than slide when ya step on it.

Your cooked rice is perfectly fine. As raw rice would be, too.

I am not unknown! I am SCG!

Put a saddle on it and ride it to work.

The only SCG-approved method right now is a gun.

I am so sorry. I never should have mentioned rats. Now they're multiplying. Maybe the flock I had that packed up didn't go to the neighbors. Maybe they went to you guys?

Wow I wouldn't rob a post office. That's a federal offense.

I also haven't supplied you with my address, yet. I'm shocked that I'm not on your syrup distribution list
big_smile.png
PM me your address and I will send you some!
lol.png

It seems a bit weird to think about small-town Post Offices getting robbed, but it happens (was actually my first thought when you mentioned that they were closed during normal business hours). Though I never would have thought that dusting the keyboard for prints would render it inoperable!
I can't believe it either! I called to make sure they were open and the Post Master answered the phone and I told him I wanted to make sure they were opened. He said they were not! That they tried to open but the key board would not work...He tried to get it working he said but it would not from all the dust packed in it. He said that he ordered one and that it should me there in the morning. But either way if they are not open I told my DH that we would have to go to another town to ship these packages out! I feel bad that I could not ship them out today!!!
idunno.gif

Oh, they stopped throwing it at weddings because it's a mess and gets everywhere. People in dressy shoes (ladies in heels) slipped on uncooked rice kernels all over concrete walkways and suddenly rice is bad for birds, oh no! So then folks went to tossing bird seed because it was more likely for birds to eat the stuff more quickly AND they crunch rather than slide when ya step on it.

Your cooked rice is perfectly fine. As raw rice would be, too.
My concern about the bird seed is attracting the birds in the first place....you know what occurs when flocks of wild birds fly over....once one relases their gift they all do.....bombs away....all of those nice pretty clothes with bird do do all of them. Tee Hee

My concern about the bird seed is attracting the birds in the first place....you know what occurs when flocks of wild birds fly over....once one relases their gift they all do.....bombs away....all of those nice pretty clothes with bird do do all of them. Tee Hee

So true! I know a person that had a flock of geese to fly over her wedding and bomb the wedding party! LOL!
lau.gif

I buy starter feed for all my birds as it is the same price as the lower protein product, I then mix it with rice bran that is 14% protein for the adult birds - its 13 dollars for 50kg . Their bedding is rice husks. We keep the actual rice for us but on occasion the free rangers will get rice in their scraps.

At the Little Chapel on the Boardwalk in Wrightsville Beach, you'd be lucky if those are the only bombs the birds are dropping. The seagulls like to drop clams on the parking lot to break them open. The can't find the clams during high tide, but when the low tide exposes the mud in the marshes, look out below!
hide.gif

here is a pic of the new queen bed we are using on our porch - its solid mahogany and made by the duck man

the benches are the same wood

and here is his duck park

He has 5 muscovy ducklings in their from my last hatch that will add some size and genetic diversity

Back
Top Bottom