The Old Folks Home

Quote: Pozees, I am right there with you. When I started working on the bachelor's after finishing up my associate's, I was planning on going right into a master's program after finishing. Now, almost two years later I am ready for a break. I might go back later but I know I need to take time off from school. I want to work for a while with all this new knowledge and then see if I really need to go back. I figure if our corporation's CEO has only a bachelor's degree, it might be enough. Especially since I am not interested in being a CEO, just ready to move up at work. I am looking forwards to having the extra time to do stuff on the weekends
big_smile.png

SCG the camera is actually about the same size as my old one it is just the sensor that is bigger. I got one of my new lenses yesterday and I should get the other one today.
wee.gif
I should have a chance to get out in the next few days and get some shots.

Those are the cutest bunnies I have ever seen!!

Glad you are safe SCG-- you had me reliving my almost went over a guard rail slide a few decades ago-- glad you didn't bag a deer either, too much damage to the car.

dsgard-- Porters have such lovelys bigger than a chicken
love.gif

Trees are so important to controlling the heat and the wind-- sorry moxies, can you plant a fast growing tree/bush ?I'm thinking poplar, but I"m thinking that isn't quite right . . .

Bunnymama, those babies are just adorable, and I love those Jersey Woolies, how beautiful they are! DH just read an article about how horribly Angora rabbits are sometimes treated when their fur is harvested, it was heartbreaking. Here we have only the wild cottontails, but they get a dish of pellets put out in bad weather and we have a wooden box with hay in it for them to hide in when the weather is bad, and after 6 months they actually started using it!
Hi Pozees! They are the sweetest breed on the planet. They are really not hard to keep groomed if they have good coats. I love how you are feeding the cottontails! I have seen first hand how horribly some bunnies are mistreated and abused. I have no problem at all with people that raise rabbits for meat or to show. For myself, I am very careful to make sure to find the right home for each of my rabbits. I always tell people that if they loose interest int the rabbit and cannot care for it, I usually will take them back and try to find a caring and loving home for them. I have been very successful at finding just the right homes for them. One of the rabbits that I sold to a teenager here is winning every ribbon and prize on the show table. She is doing everything right!
A few years ago, I found some Fuzzy Lops on Craigs list. When I went to see them they looked so bad, that I bought them just to save them. Both of them were matted to the skin, covered in fleas, and weak from bloodloss from fleas and worms. They both had pedigrees. I straightend them out, which took several months to get them cleaned up and well. I won several legs on the little buck, and I got some fabulous babies from the doe. The doe had been so neglected that she had become deaf from ear mites. It took me a while to figure out that she was deaf. I rehomed her to a family that keeps her indoors, (she has her own bedroom!) I only breed about 3 litter each year. I actually got out of the Fuzzy Lop's as well. I felt that they had the most chance for being neglected because of their high management wool. I don't recommend any wooled breeds to anyone unless they are dedicated to keeping them groomed properly. It is really sad to see some of the abuses that take place in the rabbit world. I have a real love for my rabbits and I treat them like children. (Hence the name "BunnyMomma") I lost my own children and the rabbits are therapy for me. It is a long story. I don't like to talk about it. I rehab cottontails when I am needed to. I think if I won the lottery I would start a Bunny Rescue.
Here is Howie, my Netherland Dwarf Buck. He is a sweetie too. He only weighs about 3/4 lbs. I reccomend them to people for pets if the babies have been handled a lot and are really tame. They are perfect small pets for anyone that does not want to deal with the wooled breeds. If they come from a breeder that does not handle them properly, they tend to be crazy, timid, and highstrung. They really need to be handled for at least 10 minutes daily from birth. It makes such a difference in the rabbits disposition.

Hi Pozees! They are the sweetest breed on the planet. They are really not hard to keep groomed if they have good coats. I love how you are feeding the cottontails! I have seen first hand how horribly some bunnies are mistreated and abused. I have no problem at all with people that raise rabbits for meat or to show. For myself, I am very careful to make sure to find the right home for each of my rabbits. I always tell people that if they loose interest int the rabbit and cannot care for it, I usually will take them back and try to find a caring and loving home for them. I have been very successful at finding just the right homes for them. One of the rabbits that I sold to a teenager here is winning every ribbon and prize on the show table. She is doing everything right!
A few years ago, I found some Fuzzy Lops on Craigs list. When I went to see them they looked so bad, that I bought them just to save them. Both of them were matted to the skin, covered in fleas, and weak from bloodloss from fleas and worms. They both had pedigrees. I straightend them out, which took several months to get them cleaned up and well. I won several legs on the little buck, and I got some fabulous babies from the doe. The doe had been so neglected that she had become deaf from ear mites. It took me a while to figure out that she was deaf. I rehomed her to a family that keeps her indoors, (she has her own bedroom!) I only breed about 3 litter each year. I actually got out of the Fuzzy Lop's as well. I felt that they had the most chance for being neglected because of their high management wool. I don't recommend any wooled breeds to anyone unless they are dedicated to keeping them groomed properly. It is really sad to see some of the abuses that take place in the rabbit world. I have a real love for my rabbits and I treat them like children. (Hence the name "BunnyMomma") I lost my own children and the rabbits are therapy for me. It is a long story. I don't like to talk about it. I rehab cottontails when I am needed to. I think if I won the lottery I would start a Bunny Rescue.
Here is Howie, my Netherland Dwarf Buck. He is a sweetie too. He only weighs about 3/4 lbs. I reccomend them to people for pets if the babies have been handled a lot and are really tame. They are perfect small pets for anyone that does not want to deal with the wooled breeds. If they come from a breeder that does not handle them properly, they tend to be crazy, timid, and highstrung. They really need to be handled for at least 10 minutes daily from birth. It makes such a difference in the rabbits disposition.

Oh good heavens, he is just adorable!!!

Hi BunnyMomma good to see you on again. Your bunnies are so adorable I just love them!
love.gif
Been trying to talk Dh into us getting some to raise.

Hi chickadoodles! Thanks, I am glad to be back. I really enjoy raising them. My hubby built me some amazing rabbit pens in our barn. He built me 12 cabinet style cages that are 20 inches square and 3 feet tall. There are 3 alternating shelves inside for the rabbits to get plenty of exercise. I will try to get some pics later. I also have 5, double stacked Bass cages that I found 2 years ago on Craigslist. I only gave 300.00 for all of them. The Bass cages are really expensive new, over 300.00 for one set. I could have never afforded new ones. I spent a day torching all of the cages and I gave them a touch up paint job. It is really cozy for the rabbits.

If you get a chance you should go to a rabbit show in your area. It is fun to see all of the different breeds.

Those are the cutest bunnies I have ever seen!!

Glad you are safe SCG-- you had me reliving my almost went over a guard rail slide a few decades ago-- glad you didn't bag a deer either, too much damage to the car.

dsgard-- Porters have such lovelys bigger than a chicken
love.gif

Trees are so important to controlling the heat and the wind-- sorry moxies, can you plant a fast growing tree/bush ?I'm thinking poplar, but I"m thinking that isn't quite right . . .

Thanks Arielle!

Back
Top Bottom