The Old Folks Home

CHickadoodles -- I am investing $200 on 25 chicks from a breeder that has a very good rep; and when you look at buying a trio from a good breeder you are getting the best of the best, and the $ for a trio varies.

I'm sure you will find what you are looking for----

What are you getting? Huh? Huh? What are they? Huh? Huh?

What are you getting? Huh? Huh? What are they? Huh? Huh?
I am getting some Turkey Frank Reese's stock standard bronze and bourbon reds 10 of each and a few bbb or bbw. Then I am looking into some large meat brids. Looking at possibly some dark cornish and some rir's between 20-30? I want birds at least 9-10 lbs.

Ha, the one wearing the chicken is flapping his arms, showing us that the chicken did "this" to get up on the roost. I caught him as he started flapping.

Chickadoodles..you must, you must, you must have some Olive Eggers, True Ameraucana, and maybe some Favorelles.

Ha, the one wearing the chicken is flapping his arms, showing us that the chicken did "this" to get up on the roost. I caught him as he started flapping.

Chickadoodles..you must, you must, you must have some Olive Eggers, True Ameraucana, and maybe some Favorelles.
I do love the one wearing the chicken also! lol
I would love some Olive Eggers and I may try to find some birds to get some later this year. Do you have some?

SCG's driveway

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I do want large birds and I will raise them by hand and handle them alot so that they will be easy to handle and want to be handled like my other birds and turkey. Mine love attention and come wanting to be petted. I am just excited that my DH is letting me get some more birds!
big_smile.png
Hi, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in on the breed types that I like. I really have a lot of favorites as far as laying hens in general, so this is my top 3 favorites, in order. Also, I will put why I like them as opposed to other breeds. This is just from my experience.

#1. Large Fowl Cochin's of any color except white. This is my favorite breed of all the egg layers that I have owned for many years. They are very good layers and make great mothers and broody hens. They are easy to sex at a young age and they are tolerant of other breeds. They do not eat as much as some other large breeds that I have owned. They are friendly. I like the feathered feet, and fluffy feathers as they keep the birds feet warm in the winter. I could probably go on and on about this breed, but these are the main reasons I like them.

#2. Black Australorp's are great because of their medium body size and feed efficiency. They lay a large egg and it gets extra large in the second year. The eggs I got from them were huge compared to their body size. Friendly, easy keeps.

#3. Faverolle's are also super layers. They lay all year long, with the exception of moulting and extreme heat. They are friendly and good foragers.

I wish I could keep more breeds, but I have downsized to one LF breed and I am happy with them.
I can't wait until you post what breeds you have chosen. There are so many great breeds!

They're definitely individuals. I've had bully orpingtons and I've seen docile RIRs.
I totally agree. I have some of the sweetest Birchen's, but I occasionally get one that is a real monster. I have a really pretty Khaki Bronze Birchen Rooster, and he is as mean as Satan. I would eat him if he weren't such a stunning bird! I hate his personality.

Back
Top Bottom