The Old Folks Home

Just a quick note to say Oz and Mrs. Oz made it from Los Angeles to Fairplay and the Pub for dinner and we had a great evening in conversation. The local owner of The Pub (and next door neighbor to my Thistle Dew Ranch) came to listen to the musicians and singers for Open Mic; he spent some time visiting with us, traded some ribald jokes with the Ozes and made some marginally inappropriate comments about my bosoms. (It's okay - I can and have made remarks in kind about some of his features.). :gig

Mrs. Oz (waving to her, as she is a lurker) is a hoot! Stuff doesn't get past her at all.

All in all, an enjoyable evening! Wish y'all could have joined us.

Just a quick note to say Oz and Mrs. Oz made it from Los Angeles to Fairplay and the Pub for dinner and we had a great evening in conversation. The local owner of The Pub (and next door neighbor to my Thistle Dew Ranch) came to listen to the musicians and singers for Open Mic; he spent some time visiting with us, traded some ribald jokes with the Ozes and made some marginally inappropriate comments about my bosoms. (It's okay - I can and have made remarks in kind about some of his features.).
gig.gif

Mrs. Oz (waving to her, as she is a lurker) is a hoot! Stuff doesn't get past her at all.

All in all, an enjoyable evening! Wish y'all could have joined us.
LOL I'm glad you all had a good time!

Wish I could have heard the features remarks hehe

Stayed up till 2:30 this morning filtering and jarring honey from our bees! It was an awful sticky mess everywhere, but the honey sure was good. Got 5 gallons of honey sitting in my kitchen now because we ran out of jars lol.
Allergic to bees, but I can eat honey. Being able to had your own bees must be awesome! So jealous

Thank you LFchixranch. I might check that out. I have the 24000:1 maps and a lensatic compass and I actually know how to use them (thank you land-nav tests in the military). I have promised SCG that I will be the responsible one with the map (although she has passed a hunter's land-nav test) but we will blame her if we get lost.
wink.png
lau.gif

Linda so glad you had some fun with the Oz's (
frow.gif
Mrs. Oz) but you know the rule - no pictures, it didn't happen!
wink.png

Wound up with seven poults and only one chick from my hatch. Wish I knew why I get such terrible hatch rates but I really don't incubate enough to worry about it especially since I am not spending money on expensive shipped eggs anymore. I just can't justify the expense with my terrible rate. Oh well, I have plenty of turkeys now and I didn't really need another chicken. I am hoping it is a hen because it is a beautiful lavender Ameraucana chick.
big_smile.png

Thank you LFchixranch. I might check that out. I have the 24000:1 maps and a lensatic compass and I actually know how to use them (thank you land-nav tests in the military). I have promised SCG that I will be the responsible one with the map (although she has passed a hunter's land-nav test) but we will blame her if we get lost.
wink.png
lau.gif

frow.gif
wink.png

Wound up with seven poults and only one chick from my hatch. Wish I knew why I get such terrible hatch rates but I really don't incubate enough to worry about it especially since I am not spending money on expensive shipped eggs anymore. I just can't justify the expense with my terrible rate. Oh well, I have plenty of turkeys now and I didn't really need another chicken. I am hoping it is a hen because it is a beautiful lavender Ameraucana chick.
big_smile.png
You need a broody

wink.png
lau.gif

frow.gif
wink.png

big_smile.png

Go ahead and blame me! Isn't that why you are bringing me?

7 poults is a reasonable number. BF is going to be shocked to discover poults under broodies (that's multiple) in his coop check most likely the day after I get to Utah.

It's pretty amazing that people from all over the planet meet about chickens and have cocktails at a pub together.

I imagine it was the same way back when ancient traders brought fowl from SE Asia to the Indus Valley, Mesopotamia, the Mediterranean and beyond. Or when Polynesians brought chickens to South America. Just people sittin' around having a cocktail and talking chickens.

Allergic to bees, but I can eat honey. Being able to had your own bees must be awesome! So jealous

I'm allergic to stings too but I still have bees. A good bee suit and caution do wonders. I've gotten to the point that I'll even open the hive for a peek without any protection.

Much to my dismay, swarms, package bees and bees afield won't sting unless trapped. (i.e. stepped on when on a flower or caught inside a shirt) Bees always try to save their sting for protection of brood and stores in the hive. When the hive is threatened they will travel some distance to chase the perpetrator though.

Back
Top Bottom