The Old Folks Home

SALMONELLA OUTBREAK UPDATE! The number of confirmed cases has more than doubled to 126 people with 35% requiring hospitalization. You can see the updated report below, which was just updated 9 minutes ago. I will also post a link to the archived podcasts below in the comments section, where several poultry experts have shared their knowledge on this topic.
Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry | May 2014 | Salmonella | CDC
Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections Linked to Live Poultry in Backyard Flocks
CDC.GOV

Thought I would share this update with you. This is all that would paste so to get the full posting just go to The Chicken Whisperer's page on FB. Anyone with Mt. Healthy Hatchery chicks needs to really pay attention to this.

The report indicates that they've had trouble like this with Mt. Healthy Hatchery for the past several years. When they know a hatchery has these issues, why isn't the hatchery, and/or the cdc taking more action to ensure it doesn't happen again? This seems very irresponsible on the part of both the hatchery, and the various agri-health agencies.
It has to do with the hatchery's business model- they use outside providers to hatch the different breeds, so there's a HUGE job tracking down which breed actually comes from the affected farm. The area may have 2 or 3 (or any number) of affected farms, but the facility at Mt. Healthy may be pristine. Until the source is truly found, they keep having the problem. They may find one source, only to discover there's a new one (or any number) bringing the bacteria in.

It's a really difficult trail to follow things back to the source when there's a delay before symptoms appear, and just like the outbreaks associated with foodborne bacteria, it takes a long time to find the real root of the infections.

Even worse, many folks who have birds have all sorts of different chicks coming in at different times, from different places, and no biosecurity to speak of. This means they may have had clean flocks and brought it home on a shoe after going to the feed store where the chicks were being sold...or some other contaminant.

It gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about how easy it is to get all of our birds sick...
sickbyc.gif

Well two days of work but the rabbit barn/run is completed. The top and bottom are 6x10 chain link panels and the walls are wrapped chain link.

There are 3 smaller wire hutches on the back wall when I need to separate individuals. And here are my English lops.
mom and dad

The two does from the last litter

SALMONELLA OUTBREAK UPDATE! The number of confirmed cases has more than doubled to 126 people with 35% requiring hospitalization. You can see the updated report below, which was just updated 9 minutes ago. I will also post a link to the archived podcasts below in the comments section, where several poultry experts have shared their knowledge on this topic.
Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections Linked to Live Poultry in Backyard Flocks
CDC.GOV

Thought I would share this update with you. This is all that would paste so to get the full posting just go to The Chicken Whisperer's page on FB. Anyone with Mt. Healthy Hatchery chicks needs to really pay attention to this.

The report indicates that they've had trouble like this with Mt. Healthy Hatchery for the past several years. When they know a hatchery has these issues, why isn't the hatchery, and/or the cdc taking more action to ensure it doesn't happen again? This seems very irresponsible on the part of both the hatchery, and the various agri-health agencies.
Biggest reason? Mt Healthy (hehehe) Hatchery has not broken any laws
roll.png
and yes, they have been responsible for salmonella outbreaks the past three years in a row. Next reason? lack of public pressure. That is what the exposure the Chicken Whisperer is giving to this issue hopefully will do. There was a single news cycle on this issue and then it was on to a bigger story. Even many folks on here were unaware of the problem until I and others started circulating the initial reports. Why the CDC hasn't done more or what have they done behind the scenes? Who knows. Why has Mt Healthy not done something? Maybe because they did JUST ENOUGH to get away with it the first time, and does anyone even remember hearing their name connected with last year's outbreak even tho it was, again, traced back directly to them? This year, more people are getting sick, more seriously, so maybe this time, but so far..... I wish I knew someone with enough clout to get one of the networks to do an in depth on it. Remember when it was salmonella(?) infected processed chicken? Wasn't it Perdue that practically got put out of business? So, where's the outrage NOW when all these chicks are making our children, pets, ourselves sick? Especially when the source can again be traced back to a single supplier???

eta-Chookschick and I were typing at the same time. She touches on some very valid points. That said, none of the other mailorder hatcheries have been connected to this outbreak (or the other recent ones to my knowledge). This says to me that this one is not monitoring the farms where their eggs come from and are just doing bulk contracting without any surveillance and these egg suppliers probably know it, leading to opportunities to unload hatching eggs that may not pass the scrutiny by hatcheries that insist on working more closely with their suppliers.

Last edited:
Sorry that was supposed to be on the rabbit thread
It's okay, I love bunnies, too!! This is an anything goes thread, after all!!

CDC.GOV

Biggest reason? Mt Healthy (hehehe) Hatchery has not broken any laws
roll.png
and yes, they have been responsible for salmonella outbreaks the past three years in a row. Next reason? lack of public pressure. That is what the exposure the Chicken Whisperer is giving to this issue hopefully will do. There was a single news cycle on this issue and then it was on to a bigger story. Even many folks on here were unaware of the problem until I and others started circulating the initial reports. Why the CDC hasn't done more or what have they done behind the scenes? Who knows. Why has Mt Healthy not done something? Maybe because they did JUST ENOUGH to get away with it the first time, and does anyone even remember hearing their name connected with last year's outbreak even tho it was, again, traced back directly to them? This year, more people are getting sick, more seriously, so maybe this time, but so far..... I wish I knew someone with enough clout to get one of the networks to do an in depth on it. Remember when it was salmonella(?) infected processed chicken? Wasn't it Perdue that practically got put out of business? So, where's the outrage NOW when all these chicks are making our children, pets, ourselves sick? Especially when the source can again be traced back to a single supplier???

eta-Chookschick and I were typing at the same time. She touches on some very valid points. That said, none of the other mailorder hatcheries have been connected to this outbreak (or the other recent ones to my knowledge). This says to me that this one is not monitoring the farms where their eggs come from and are just doing bulk contracting without any surveillance and these egg suppliers probably know it, leading to opportunities to unload hatching eggs that may not pass the scrutiny by hatcheries that insist on working more closely with their suppliers.

I agree...there has to be some accountability after 3 years of outbreaks. I mean, if you aren't growing the birds and have outbreaks, don't buy from suppliers unless their birds can be verified safe. It is really about that simple, right? Especially when we're talking about something that could *KILL* an elderly or very young person.

That is the important thing to note, right? Danger.

I wonder if there isn't an antigen test process for other salmonella-types besides the pullorum we check for in NPIP...I mean...we really could simultaneously be looking for much more and keeping our public and ourselves safer.

It's okay, I love bunnies, too!! This is an anything goes thread, after all!!

I agree...there has to be some accountability after 3 years of outbreaks. I mean, if you aren't growing the birds and have outbreaks, don't buy from suppliers unless their birds can be verified safe. It is really about that simple, right? Especially when we're talking about something that could *KILL* an elderly or very young person.

That is the important thing to note, right? Danger.

I wonder if there isn't an antigen test process for other salmonella-types besides the pullorum we check for in NPIP...I mean...we really could simultaneously be looking for much more and keeping our public and ourselves safer.

The first year I had my birds tested for NPIP certification I also had them all tested for what the tester told me was the kind that can be passed to humans through the eggs. My birds all tested clean. It was not expensive and worth every penny. So yes, there is a test, it takes I think a week or two to get results. Given that, shouldn't Mt "Healthy" and the USDA be insisting on it? Maybe this is a different salmonella, I don't know for sure it's the same, but sounds like it. The flip side is, if MH doesn't know which supplier is creating the problem, they can exert pressure to test/treat by requiring proof the supplier is clean.

Last week I saw an ad for hatching eggs for sale by someone who seemed to me to be bragging they sell hatching eggs to hatcheries. I clamped my fingers to resist asking, so you're the one that sells all the pullet-only eggs?
hide.gif

5:30 AM, heading out to band some birds and move them to another building then at 6:30 I have an hour drive each way to pick up 2 new behive nucs. My last 2 hives collapsed early last year and this is the first opportunity I've had to start anew. I'm putting them in new locations (not that I have that many places to choose from) if I can find spots with sufficient sun, air flow and not where a lot of people walk.
I'm also collecting mulberries each night to try my hand at mulberry wine. I'm putting down plastic each evening under all the trees and roll them up in the morning.

5:30 AM, heading out to band some birds and move them to another building then at 6:30 I have an hour drive each way to pick up 2 new behive nucs. My last 2 hives collapsed early last year and this is the first opportunity I've had to start anew. I'm putting them in new locations (not that I have that many places to choose from) if I can find spots with sufficient sun, air flow and not where a lot of people walk.
I'm also collecting mulberries each night to try my hand at mulberry wine. I'm putting down plastic each evening under all the trees and roll them up in the morning.

What is sufficient, as opposed to too much, sun for a beehive? We have gone back and forth over whether we can find a spot with enough shade for a hive, but never thought about it needing to also have enough sun.

Can't wait to hear how the winemaking goes! I have at least one mulberry that has survived the elements here, possibly two, but I have kept less track of them the last couple of years as Bob retired and took over a lot of the landscape duties. He's much better at it than I am anyway, so lucky trees, shrubs and grass :)

What is sufficient, as opposed to too much, sun for a beehive? We have gone back and forth over whether we can find a spot with enough shade for a hive, but never thought about it needing to also have enough sun.

I'm heading out in about 20 minutes to pick up my package of bees for starting my second hive. My first hive survived the winter, but I haven't been able to get in the hive since to see what's going on. I know they're alive, and I know they still haven't cleaned up the dead bee mess from the winter. Something's up and I'm hoping to get in there this weekend if the rainy weather clears.

As far as sunlight goes, it depends on how hot/cold your area is. I can only speak for Maine, really, which is likely unhelpful to you, but here goes. In Maine it is acceptable to paint your beehive really dark colors and to put it in direct sunlight because we are such a cold state (and I've done both). Most bee books recommend "dappled" sunlight so the hive doesn't get too hot or too cold. Beekeeping for Dummies says:
1. Point hive to southeast
2. Position hive conveniently so you're not hauling heavy stuff back and forth long distances and uphill both ways
3. Provide a windbreak if possible at the back of the hive (fence, tree or use bale of hay/straw in winter) - I had nothing this year but the snow that built up
4. Put the hive in dappled sunlight, avoid full sun if possible because it makes the hive work harder to keep the temperature cool in summer. Also avoid deep dark shade because it makes the colony damp and the hive "listless."
5. Make sure the hive has good ventilation (don't put it in a gully or on the top of a hill)
6. Level the hive from side to side and then have about an inch of rise in the rear so any water that gets in it comes out the front instead of pooling inside
7. Locate it on firm dry land (don't put it in a bog)

I've got mine in the front yard, which (for now) gets mostly sun most of the day. It is in the "clear cut" area where the power lines come through.

This is what our average temps look like, though, so you can see why dark colors in direct sun work for us here:

Back
Top Bottom