The Old Folks Home

I had 5 Chow chows for many years. One afternoon a skunk dug under the fence, and was calmly sauntering around our yard. The dogs barked, were cautions, but eventually thought they would play with the funny smelling dog. They got sprayed, and decided they had to get away from that stinky dog. In fact, they stunk so bad, they didn't even want to get near each other. I had always heard that tomato juice would get rid of skunk smell. I filled a bathtub with the stuff, and bathed each dog in it. Guess what? It DOES NOT work! After their bath, they went out in the yard, dug a bit of a hole, and laid in the cool, moist dirt. I noticed that the part of them that had been in the dirt, didn't have much skunk odor, just an earthy scent. I dug a spot, made mud, and applied it heavily to the dogs, and left it on for awhile. Later on, I bathed them again in shampoo, and almost all of the stench was gone.

Thanks guys,
He was an original flock member, more a pet than livestock.I combined LF and bantam flocks into the big coop today (couldn't before cause the roos didn't get along). The skunk can't get in that building. Traps are reset, english mastiff is on patrol in the garden, me or the dog will get this skunk.

How is that English Mastiff if left alone with the chickens? Can he/she be trusted? I'm looking for a farm dog that won't kill chickens or goats but will not tolerate predators. I want an Anatolian Shepard, but they are hard to find so I would consider another breed. I would love to have a mixed breed as long as I could trust and depend on it. I have no trouble with training, No dog of mine will EVER touch a bird when I am outside. I just can't seem to be able to teach them not to kill the birds when I'm not around. I was hoping that I could find a breed that would have some instincts that would help with that. I saw a half Great Pyranees/English Mastiff and thought that would be a great dog. I think it was adopted by the foster home it lived in after the breeder abused it. Anyway, I'm looking.....

Wisher
My garden surrounds the coop and run. She can patrol the perimeter fence but not reach the chickens. I don't quite trust her unattended overnight. Even though she hasn't ever made a move before.

That just goes to show you how different people think....wisher was interested in how the dog interacts with chickens, I was interested in how the dog interacts with skunks...LOL!

Getaclue
As for the dog skunk relationship. It should be short and smelly. The mastiff has done this before. Even coyote won't come back a second time if she is around.

Thanks guys,
He was an original flock member, more a pet than livestock.I combined LF and bantam flocks into the big coop today (couldn't before cause the roos didn't get along). The skunk can't get in that building. Traps are reset, english mastiff is on patrol in the garden, me or the dog will get this skunk.

Good luck, I hope you get the jerk.

We had one the other morning out in broad daylight in the front yard. I am thinking there is a stinky (and bloody) morning in store for me soon.

It's been a tuff week here. A few days ago a skunk got into the duckling pen and clean it out. The farm went on lockdown, traps were set. Last night he came back, walked right past the trap, chewed threw 3/4 inch plywood and got in the bantam run. Daryl my decrowed Jap did his job and saved the girls. He was my first roo, good with the ladies, and even tolerant of my little boys affection.

RIP Daryl
2012-6/6/14
Sorry for your loss...brave little man. I am so glad we don't have skunks and hope you get that one soon.

Back
Top Bottom