The Old Folks Home

@Lsky

For what it is worth... I grew up being served pumpkin all fall, savory amd sweet.

Pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cookies and pumpkin pie. BUCKETS of pumpkin all fall. We were fed some of the other winter squashes too...

Quote:
Ok so Now I had to dig.... All joking aside

http://www.bearsmart.com/about-bears/dispelling-myths/

look at number 5

""
Myth #5: Bear bells are the best way to avoid a surprise encounter

Fact: It’s best to alert bears of your presence by talking loudly, singing songs or breaking sticks. Try to hike in a group, on established trails, during daylight hours. See our Play section for more information. ""

and as far as bear pepper spray....

""
Myth #11: Carrying a rifle is safer than bear pepper spray

Fact: A person’s chance of incurring serious injury from a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear pepper spray is used (Dr. Stephen Herrero). Those injured defending themselves with bear pepper spray experienced shorter attacks and less severe injuries than those who chose to use firearms (US Fish and Wildlife Service). Click here to read the full report. Bears are actually attracted to pepper spray residue if it is sprayed on the ground or on objects. Never spray it around a tent or on yourself. When used defensively, pepper spray must be sprayed directly in the attacking bear’s eyes or nose. Click here for more information. ""

I am glad I dont live in bear country.

deb

That number 11 is why we don't carry pepper spray (I mean yeah, I know it said safer than a pistol), but bears do like the stuff, and bears have an excellent sense of smell.

We have a friend who is a remote Alaskan policeman. He says that every time he goes to a mauling or people eaten site, the bear has gone out of its way to find and eat the pepper spray.

:oops: I would never carry that stuff.

That number 11 is why we don't carry pepper spray (I mean yeah, I know it said safer than a pistol), but bears do like the stuff, and bears have an excellent sense of smell.

We have a friend who is a remote Alaskan policeman. He says that every time he goes to a mauling or people eaten site, the bear has gone out of its way to find and eat the pepper spray.

:oops: I would never carry that stuff.
Jeez, I always thought you were supposed to carry that stuff. ._.
So do you scream and shout and make yourself big, or curl into a ball and hope for the best?
@Lsky

For what it is worth... I grew up being served pumpkin all fall, savory amd sweet.

Pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cookies and pumpkin pie. BUCKETS of pumpkin all fall. We were fed some of the other winter squashes too...
If we get pumpkins this year I will look into some recipes. I like trying new things :)

I still think using a bear bell, is like driving an ice cream truck - they hear the jingle and come running... Wouldn't it be better to fire off a few rounds of ammo so they know you are coming? sez diva who is even afraid of cap pistols.

I remember reading a article in a hunting magazine called "Dinner Bell Bears" on Kodiak Island Alaska. Brown and Grizzly bears would come a runnin when they heard a rifle shot to steal the hunters deer.

Making noise/avoiding the encounter is best.

When you encounter one... You need to decide which way to go....

Usually it is standing stock still until the bear has calmed down, then backing away very slowly. However sometimes being as big as you can be and screaming like a maniac is better...depends.

You only curl up in a ball as a last resort.

I remember reading a article in a hunting magazine called "Dinner Bell Bears" on Kodiak Island Alaska. Brown and Grizzly bears would come a runnin when they heard a rifle shot to steal the hunters deer.

They still do that... You never shoot from too far of a distance, and you need to pack out FAST, or abandon your meat. :idunno those bears on Kodiak are super big too...

Making noise/avoiding the encounter is best.

When you encounter one... You need to decide which way to go....

Usually it is standing stock still until the bear has calmed down, then backing away very slowly. However sometimes being as big as you can be and screaming like a maniac is better...depends.

You only curl up in a ball as a last resort.
Let's be honest, either way I'm going to make the wrong decision and end up as a bear burrito.

Back
Top Bottom