The Old Folks Home

Its like apple butter but made with pears. Its kind of like jam but not quite as thick. The pumpkin butter I made is really thick

I'm afraid I don't know what an apple butter is either :p it must have a different name over here, but I think I get what you mean. Looks good!

You don't find pear butter in the stores here but you can find apple butter. Apple butter is basically thick applesauce spiced with nutmeg, cloves, ginger and cinnamon (depending on the recipe). It is really tasty too.

I'm afraid I don't know what an apple butter is either
tongue.png
it must have a different name over here, but I think I get what you mean. Looks good!

Pear, apple, quince and etc. is not really like jams or jellies. It is a bit thinner and spreads like butter.

I hope this helps!

So what is the difference between what is called a jelly, jam, preserves, or something like apple butter? Is it a difference in name, manufacture, or content?

The definition from the Food and Drug Administration...
Jelly is a clear, bright product. It is generally made by cooking fruit juice and sugar with pectin as a jelling agent and lemon juice as an acid to maintain a consistent texture. Jelly is firm and will hold its shape (it shakes). Generally, jelly contains no pieces of fruit, although specialty jellies, like pepper jelly, may include pieces of jalapeo or other pepper.
Jam is made from crushed or chopped fruit cooked with sugar, and often pectin and lemon juice. Jam can be a pure of fruit or have a soft pulp, but it does not contain chunks of fruit.
Preserves are fruit cooked with sugar to the point where large chunks of fruit or whole fruit, such as berries, are suspended in a syrup base. The texture of preserves is not smooth like jelly or jam.
Marmalade is a soft jelly, often citrus-based, that includes both the flesh and peel of the fruit suspended throughout the jelly base. The bitterness of the peel offsets the sweetness of the jelly.
Conserve is a mixture of more than one fruit, often with added nuts and raisins, that is cooked until it becomes thick. It is used as a spread for breads, pastries and meats, and in the latter use is closest to chutney.
Chutney is a spiced condiment of Indian origin (chatni is the Hindi word for strongly spiced) made of fruit or vegetables. It is typically served as an accompaniment to food, not as a spread. The spice level can range from mild to hot, and the consistency from a fine relish to a preserve or conserve. Fruit chutney consists of chopped fruit, vinegar, spices and sugar cooked into a chunky sweet-tart-spicy mix: according to one explanation, it blurs the Western distinction between preserves and pickles.
Fruit Butter, such as apple butter or prune butter, is fruit pure or pulp combined with sugar, lemon juice and spices, slowly cooked down to a smooth consistency. The butter refers to its spreadability: there is no actual butter in the product.
Fruit Curd is a creamy spread made with sugar, eggs and butter, generally flavored with citrus juice and zest.

Last edited:
You don't find pear butter in the stores here but you can find apple butter.  Apple butter is basically thick applesauce spiced with nutmeg, cloves, ginger and cinnamon (depending on the recipe).  It is really tasty too. 
Sounds good :)
Pear, apple, quince and etc. is not really like jams or jellies. It is a bit thinner and spreads like butter.

I hope this helps!

So what is the difference between what is called a jelly, jam, preserves, or something like apple butter? Is it a difference in name, manufacture, or content?

The definition from the Food and Drug Administration...
Jelly is a clear, bright product. It is generally made by cooking fruit juice and sugar with pectin as a jelling agent and lemon juice as an acid to maintain a consistent texture. Jelly is firm and will hold its shape (it shakes). Generally, jelly contains no pieces of fruit, although specialty jellies, like pepper jelly, may include pieces of jalapeo or other pepper.
Jam is made from crushed or chopped fruit cooked with sugar, and often pectin and lemon juice. Jam can be a pure of fruit or have a soft pulp, but it does not contain chunks of fruit.
Preserves are fruit cooked with sugar to the point where large chunks of fruit or whole fruit, such as berries, are suspended in a syrup base. The texture of preserves is not smooth like jelly or jam.
Marmalade is a soft jelly, often citrus-based, that includes both the flesh and peel of the fruit suspended throughout the jelly base. The bitterness of the peel offsets the sweetness of the jelly.
Conserve is a mixture of more than one fruit, often with added nuts and raisins, that is cooked until it becomes thick. It is used as a spread for breads, pastries and meats, and in the latter use is closest to chutney.
Chutney is a spiced condiment of Indian origin (chatni is the Hindi word for strongly spiced) made of fruit or vegetables. It is typically served as an accompaniment to food, not as a spread. The spice level can range from mild to hot, and the consistency from a fine relish to a preserve or conserve. Fruit chutney consists of chopped fruit, vinegar, spices and sugar cooked into a chunky sweet-tart-spicy mix: according to one explanation, it blurs the Western distinction between preserves and pickles.
Fruit Butter, such as apple butter or prune butter, is fruit pure or pulp combined with sugar, lemon juice and spices, slowly cooked down to a smooth consistency. The butter refers to its spreadability: there is no actual butter in the product.
Fruit Curd is a creamy spread made with sugar, eggs and butter, generally flavored with citrus juice and zest.
Thank you, that's very interesting :)

We had a shallow well when I was growing up and every summer it went dry. My parents were both school teachers and luckily were able to take us to one of their schools for a shower a few times a week. When they went to sell the house they were told it wouldn't sell unless they dug the well deeper, so they did. Funny how it never occurred to us to do that.

I don't know how deep my well is here but I do know that many wells in this area have gone dry due to our extreme drought this year. Even if we get high precipitation this winter it won't help us until spring when it melts. I can only hope we continue to get rain throughout fall. Only about another month left.

Been working since I got up this morning and got all my assigned chores done. Time to sew!

You are lucky that your parents could get y'all showered at school. I'm not sure why people did not dig their wells deeper back then.
I hope your well never goes dry. It's not a good thing to go through as you already know.
I do worry now and I am even more careful about my water usage.

I have been doing some sewing and embroidery for a few Christmas presents. I am decorating tea towels and embroidering some and making some bowl koozies to match.

Quote:
Yep.... going on six years of drought... My well was down 100 feet four years ago.... and its 450 feet deep....

so I feel your concern.... here they wont extend an existing well... they will only drill a whole new one. Cost is the same.

deb

Deb that is terrible!

I don't know why the government won't let the Army Corp. make clean drinking water out of the ocean water. They have the technology and do it for other countries and now to many states are suffering severe droughts.

You don't find pear butter in the stores here but you can find apple butter. Apple butter is basically thick applesauce spiced with nutmeg, cloves, ginger and cinnamon (depending on the recipe). It is really tasty too.

I belong to homestead page on FB and their are ladies that make their own pear butter. A lot of these sites share their recipes. :)

Quote:
Yep.... going on six years of drought... My well was down 100 feet four years ago.... and its 450 feet deep....

so I feel your concern.... here they wont extend an existing well... they will only drill a whole new one. Cost is the same.

deb

Deb that is terrible!

I don't know why the government won't let the Army Corp. make clean drinking water out of the ocean water. They have the technology and do it for other countries and now to many states are suffering severe droughts.

Right now they are building a desalination plant in the city of Carlesbad... San Diego county.... but it will be a drop in the bucket... no pun intended. Its Very expensive to do. Not to build but takes a tremendous amount of energyl;.

But that will be for drinking water...

Right now there is quite a bit of water reclamation going on. If you see a pipe that is purple then that is reclaimed water. used for City irrigation dont drink it....

Even now with many of the lawns dead or dug out and replaced with rocks there is still a need for irrigation. You can use a tote and go to the reclamation place and get 250 gallon tote filled. The water is reclamed from sewage and is 99.9 percent pure. The city is considering taking it the next step and using it for a percentage of our tap water.

There are also machines that can extract water from the air.

My horse drinks 100 gallons every two and a half days. So far so good. this is why I dont chime in about growing things on my eighteen acres. The ONLY way I could even think about growing things would be with hydroponics. Using Recycled water from my o0wn system... Everyone will drink water from the well but all other water exept for toilet water will go into recycling system.

deb

Back
Top Bottom