The Old Folks Home

I think I'm going to need to revise tomorrow's schedule. It is going to involve bedrest, naproxen and regret.
highfive.gif
That was my thought after just reading what you did today!
It poured here all day. The ground is supersaturated and water is standing all over the place. I kept the momma hens with chicks in their coops today and they were not happy. I did the necessary chores but spent most of day inside doing housework and talking on the phone with my sister and son. Rain is here until Tuesday so anything outside will just have to wait.
The Maine Row by Row is bright and I like the two different Portland lighthouse ones, but the night view of the lighthouse I love.
The tree quilt reminds me of our tall, high branched shag bark hickory trees in winter...lovely. I can see how you'd be ready for a break after the borders...so much work involved there. Wonderful job!

I love the second quilt also very stunning the first is beautiful also
take care of yourself my lower lumber has been seizing horribly for 4 days
now so I do understand

Love both quilts, but prefer the second one.

We took the kids to the Shriner's Circus tonight. It was great! The kids were engrossed, and well behaved. When everyone went in, they gave the parents a card to fill out for each of their children, to enter a drawing. They were giving away 10 boy's, and 10 girl's bikes, with helmets, at the end of the show. My grandson won one. You should have seen Dh trying to fit his junk, the baby's stroller, and the box with the bike, in his trunk. He finally got it all in there.

Love both quilts, especially the one with the boats. Takes me back to when I was growing up. My Mother died when I was eight; that's when I went to live with my Grandparents. My Grandmother always had a quilt hanging from the ceiling in the living room that we would quilt on when the weather was bad and couldn't work outside. I remember sitting for hours sewing the quilt top to the backing with the cotton batting between, listening to grandpa or grandma telling stories about their childhood or young adulthood or discussing current events or whatever else came up for discussion. Learned a lot about life over those quilts. Everybody participated in these "quilting bees", even my youngest sister who was two years. Sometime after I was fifteen my Dad brought home a used black and white TV and we would quilt and watch Andy Griffith, Lucille Ball, Lawrence Welk, or Ed Sullivan, when we could get them. We only got two channels and occasionally three if you turned the antenna just right. That is if it wasn't stormy. You turned the antenna by reaching out the window and grabbing the pole. Thinking back it was more enjoyable before the TV.

By the way, what was the first TV show you remember watching? Mine was Howdy Doody on the neighbors new six inch Phillips Console TV. My friend invited me and my oldest sister over to watch it with he and his sister. We sat on the floor about five foot from it and his mother kept warning us to stay back, that it would ruin our eyes.

The frame the quilt hung on was made by my Grandpa out of four 1x4's. There were two 1x4 about ten feet long that had some kind of heavy coarse material fastened most of the way down them. They had an eye bolt fastened near each end. This was to hang it from the ceiling. The other two 1x4"s were about eight feet long and had the same heavy material fastened to one edge down the middle three feet. There were holes drilled about every 3 inches down the center of them. Grandma would stitch the backing to the material on the two short boards then roll it up on one of them. then she would lay them on the long boards and put a nail through the last hole on the short board that was loose and a hole at the end of the long board. She would do the same at the other end of the same short board. She would then unroll the backing from the short board until it laid flat, then pinned it with a nail through the holes at the ends as the first board. Then starting at the middle she would stretch the material stitching it to the material on the long boards until she had it completely flat. She would take some short strips of material and tack them to the backing and around the short boards if the material tended to sag at the ends. Then she would carefully lay the batting on the backing making sure their were no lumps. Then the quilt was laid on the batting and carefully centered. so the batting was even all around. She would then tack the quilt, batting, and backing loosely and roll one side (long board) under until about a foot and a half from the center (where the material is fastened to the board) and insert a nail through the boards. Then the same to the other side. The quilt was then ready to be quilted. If we didn't start on it then she would roll the cord holding it to the ceiling around the end of the board until it was above head high. Grandma stood on a ladder to do this because she was only four foot nine.

Pardon the ramblings of an old man, but the older I get the more I miss the old days. Although I doubt I could chop enough wood now to even cook breakfast. And I enjoy not having to get up and make a fire in the potbelly stove in the morning or break the ice off the water bucket to get a drink, or to have to tote the water bucket from the spring halfway across the forty. Come to think of it I probably could do much of what I miss so much from back then. Guess I just have to stick with my memories and hope to pass some of them off to my grandchildren.

Thanks for listening

Nice to have you here Huck, I enjoyed your rambling down memory lane, we share a lot of that on here. Actually topics change by the minute, and old or young, all are welcome here.

I didn't get all the trees done yesterday. There's still one at the end of the driveway that needs to come down (after struggling to get it cut down with the sawzall I realized I needed the chainsaw), but I got the other two trimmed of their branches, then put a trunk on my shoulder and walked it up the driveway (separately, not both at the same time). That was what did me in. I was dead after that.

Took a shower, took a 2 hour nap, got up to put the animals to bed, went back to bed for 10 hours.

I have chronic insomnia and never sleep more than about 5 hours.

I now have a cure for insomnia. Haul a couple hundred pounds up a steep incline until you can't think or walk.

Not sure big pharma would be able to sell that but it sure worked great.

Back
Top Bottom