The Old Folks Home

Just a caution, from everything I have read, you have to keep Quail in either a very high enclosure (like 7 feet tall), or a very short one, around 8 inches to a foot tall due to their flushing response. If they startle, they go straight up, and if they get their speed up and hit the roof, they will break their necks. That is why they suggest 8 inches to a foot in height, the birds don't get up enough speed to hurt themselves before they hit the top.
Apparently Domestic Cots(Japenica) are not like that.

I need to get some for myself to see!

Apparently Domestic Cots(Japenica) are not like that.

I need to get some for myself to see!
I was reading about the Coturnix domesticated ones, apparently the flushing response is the last natural instinct they have. Don't evade predators, don't brood their own eggs, but they will break their own necks if you give them half a chance.

I was reading about the Coturnix domesticated ones, apparently the flushing response is the last natural instinct they have. Don't evade predators, don't brood their own eggs, but they will break their own necks if you give them half a chance.
Thanks!

Just a caution, from everything I have read, you have to keep Quail in either a very high enclosure (like 7 feet tall), or a very short one, around 8 inches to a foot tall due to their flushing response. If they startle, they go straight up, and if they get their speed up and hit the roof, they will break their necks. That is why they suggest 8 inches to a foot in height, the birds don't get up enough speed to hurt themselves before they hit the top.
I always make my quail pens about 2 feet high. No problems so far. But i do make the back solid so they feel more secure.

Back
Top Bottom