The Old Folks Home

What I hate is that you can't use a pressure cooker on them.
Why not? I had a JennAir glass top at my prior house, used the pressure cooker on it no problem.

I am wanting a truckload of gravel too!
Me too. Need some for where the south end of the drive meets the road, every time the town grades and adds stone to the road, it gets steeper coming down into the drive. I have to put the trash and recycle "barrels" in the road or they will fall over backwards. And I need to make the parking area bigger. Neither DD had a driver's license until 1.5 years ago. Now (at basically 23 & 25) they both have cars. Not a big deal in the winter but the power line goes right over the area and those spring/summer/fall birds like to sit on it and poop. I'm really not interested in having bird poop all over my car. I ASSUME the same is true of the girls.

Well very unhappy with the size of eggs from my ameracauna beautiful birds but real tiny
How old are the birds? My EEs (I know, not Ameraucana!) start pretty small but work their way up. Cassie started on 10/4 at 42 g. Took 2 months to make it to the small end of Large (> 57g). Eos was similar starting in Nov 2015. Mostly she now lays XL and low end of Jumbo.

We're supposed to get another
nor'easter, another 10" to add to the 18" or so.
:yesss::woot

:sick
Looks like you are planning to share with us this time. Thank you for your generosity :smack

Though we are presumably looking at only 8" Wed afternoon through Sat morning. We shall see, one never knows what will actually show up. Looks like Georgia and north Florida are getting some serious weather now.

We have crazy weather here in Alabama also. We all joke that if you don't like the weather just give it a minute and it will change!
We get it all the way through the end of April here usually.
Same in Vermont. Only sometimes it doesn't change the way we want it to.

Latestarter's goat feeder reminded me of the hay feeder I want to make for my horses. It's a bit bigger than his...
I want to make an entire wall out of 2inch square hay bag netting, then put sheets of plywood behind it, about 6 inches back with hinges at the bottoms, so you can lower the plywood, throw the hay on it, and then pull a rope on a pulley with counter weights to stand it all back up. So, then you will have hay sandwiched between the hay net on the horse side, and the ply wood on the loading side and if you stuff it too full, you can adjust the counter weights so that they are keeping pressure on the ply wood to keep the hay pressed against the net where they can eat it. The smaller net holes will make them eat slower and waste less, while having an entire wall of hay will allow for several to eat at once and the ability to load it with enough hay to last for a few days at a time.

Then, all I will have to do to clean the run in is to clean up the small amount of hay on the ground, clean up the manure, and DONE other than lowering the wall and tossing a few more bales on the board every few days. I have 6 horses, so I will go through about 3 square bales a day, I would like it large enough to get a weeks worth on there at once and then just refill on the weekends.

I've always read that a canner on glass top is a no no. That A: the heating element on the glass top pulses and may not keep the canner heat at a steady level to insure proper processing. B: The weight of the canner along with the contents risks breaking the glass top.C: the heat concentrated under the canner risks damaging the cook top. Pitting like I encountered in the jelly incident can occur.

I have two glass top stoves and don't want to risk damaging them any more than I have already. I had a small pressure cooker that I used on my older glass top and yep. Pitted it I did.

Weather here just sux today. Temp 32, wild snow squalls with white out one minute, snow stops wind takes over. It was sleeting like crazy when I went out to take care of the birds, just pounding down. 5 minutes later, snowing again.

Welcome to March in Missouri.

To all of you planting gardens.....
37d1fcb74f7fccfebb2646f416afbdfb.jpg

I tie hay bags out of (polyester) baling twine. 50 strings makes a bag with ample space for half a bale of hay; the knots are tied to make a net with spaces similar to chain-link fencing. I tie loops in the ends of the strings so I can run another length of string through as a draw string, and use that to tie the bag to a fence post. So far, I get 4 to 6 months out of a bag before it gets worn to the point that it develops holes and has to be replaced.

The bags cut down on the waste for sure, but there still is some. My favorite places to put them are on the fence that separates the "bigs" from the minis; that way, hay can't fall out where nobody can reach it. While the minis can eat at the same bag (after a bit of jostling), I have to put the bags as far apart as possible to keep Latte from trying to hog it all. She insists on driving Sunny from one bag to the other for a while every time I put the hay out, but if one bag gets emptied before the other, she will eventually share - some of the time.

I called Marvin's about the cabinets and she said they don't have any in stock. But she's calling other stores to find us a sink base. She said they have the small one. I told her I have to have them here by Fri. That I have a Plummer coming to install it Saturday. Or I will be in for a refund. She said she would call me back in 30 min. And let me know what she can do.
Here's hoping. :fl

Back
Top Bottom