The Old Folks Home

Not quite the same thing as a mud tire.
Lol, mud tires I know... Every jacked up truck around has them... I don't personally have any, but I think they look cool...

Red Winged Blackbirds live and breed in open, marshy areas (think cattails); you may not have a lot of the kind of habitat that they prefer. When I lived near Elizabeth City, they were one of three species that often collected in huge, noisy flocks that roosted in the trees and fed in the fields during the winter.
Ahh, that would explain it, we're mostly mountains and woods... not much open marshy stuff with cattails growing in it...

All you need is all wheel drive right?

:eek:
That's all I have....

I have to say though, the last big snow we had, it was about 14-16 inches... we took the truck to the barn, it snowed while we were there and we couldn't get back out... Tried the back way which means you have to drive through the pasture on an ancient gravel driveway made with those BIG like 4 inch gravel.... The truck slipped off of the driveway and slid down into the pasture towards the fence, we kept trying to get it up on the driveway but it just wanted to slide back down to the fence, eventually we were too scared to try anymore because if it did it again, it would actually hit the fence.... So, I called my dad.... He couldn't get the tractor running (first plan was to drag it back up the hill) so, he got in the big beast and drove it out.... That was a cool thing to watch, the truck is an '85 Ford F-150 Step Side in black primer... That big thing was bellowing and actually leaping through the snow where it had drifted deeper down lower in the field... It most certainly DID NOT come out in a straight line, but he got it out with much spinning and jumping around... Oh yes, and I was running back and forth across the field trying to NOT be directly in front of that beast since he was flooring it and didn't really have much control...

Bruce, we call those 3 season tires here. Our roads would laugh at them and promptly deposit us in the nearest ditch. The roads here can look solid but you drive on them and discover that there is a one inch sheen of what we call 'greasy' clay mud over the solid part. It's like driving on ice. We have to have aggressive tread and usually need more aggressive than we can find.

But the good news is that it keeps the townies off our road and in town and we can enjoy the peace and quiet.......until they invade with their 4 wheelers.

All four chicks out of the shell and the last two are fluffing out. All healthy, beautiful little BBR chipmunks. Thank God is all I can say after a successful hatch.

Had an empowering day in Santa Fe working at the place. Took a day off from painting and -- attempting something I never have -- did wiring and affixing light fixtures...and they worked! So now there's a couple of new wall sconces, a chandelier, and an overhead bathroom globe where there wasn't one before. Saved a bundle from not having to have an electrician to come out out. My neck, upper shoulders and knees today are feeling the effects from all the ladder work, though.

Who from OFH is participating in the Easter HAL?
I am , but i set slightly off their schedule. Hatch day for my quail is the 20th, same day as my breast biopsy.

Good news indeed, Penny! I go back to the doctor on Friday also to finish getting folded, spindled and otherwise mutilated back into one piece.

Cap you need something positive to look forward to and to keep your mind off of what is going on with your body. What better than new babies to come home to?

I'm waiting for the last two of the fantastic four to dry out so I can teach the oldest to eat and drink and move them over to their brooder.

The 5 Orscheln chicks are doing well and about 2/3rds feathered out now. Little monsters are running up to me and pecking my fingers. Looks like three cockerels and 2 pullets in that batch.

I did get my squash, pumpkins and a few tomato plants started yesterday while I was watching eggs pip.

I'm really anxious to see how those warty red squash seeds do that you sent me, Cap, along with the white pumpkins. They were selling the white pumpkins in town last fall I thought to myself that I'd pick one up the next time I was in town and when I went back they were all gone so I'm looking forward to growing my own.

@CapricornFarm. How do you start the clematis seeds? To you refrigerate them over for 3 months like they tell you to do on line?

Back
Top Bottom