The Old Folks Home

Pics
SCG, I agree these places have to be seen in person if you can afford it. I am really looking forwards to the trip next spring. You won't need the flares and you can bring the GPS but it will probably only be taking up valuable battery space.
wink.png
I told you most of the paths are well marked and I do know how to read a map.
thumbsup.gif
We are going to have to discuss your Nikon though and try to figure out why you weren't getting good pics out of it. You should be.

Alright, you two, you're making me jealous. I want to travel, and take pictures, and sightsee, and hike in areas that are well marked and take flares and a gps, and have adult beverages in the evening with my BYC girlfriends, away from the kids and the men and.........whoa, I better stop, I'm getting lightheaded.....
th.gif

Last edited:
Haahaaa I hear you Lisa !

Friday afternoon starts my vacation. DH is taking the boys camping for a WHOLE week, not back until the following Friday. Home alone with no KIDS to manage. I love them dearly but they make as much of a mess as the animals. LOL

This will be my vacation , too. A chance to clean house without a child pulling the item back out of the trash. Paint the bathroom ceiling and maybe the kitchen ceiling, too. Make a couple nest boxes. Design a chicken tractor, and maybe build it.

And read a book, uninterrupted.
celebrate.gif

Haahaaa I hear you Lisa !

Friday afternoon starts my vacation. DH is taking the boys camping for a WHOLE week, not back until the following Friday. Home alone with no KIDS to manage. I love them dearly but they make as much of a mess as the animals. LOL

This will be my vacation , too. A chance to clean house without a child pulling the item back out of the trash. Paint the bathroom ceiling and maybe the kitchen ceiling, too. Make a couple nest boxes. Design a chicken tractor, and maybe build it.

And read a book, uninterrupted.
celebrate.gif

You forgot sleep in. Or take a nap. Or just hear the sounds of peace and quiet. Who are you kidding? You're going to miss them in about 18 hours.

My parents will be here in just a few days for a visit. They haven't been here in probably 3 years. I hope they enjoy the sounds of 14 roosters, the ducks making their disapproving waaaaack noises at me, and the goats screaming when they see me feeding the chickens at 4 am. Maybe I'll be nice and sleep in until 4:30 for them. Nah, I remember as a teenager sleeping in and my parents waking me with all kinds of horrible things: a whistle, various musical instruments (they were both band teachers, we had every instrument under the sun at home. My dad especially loved the trumpet at my bedroom door at 0700), the vacuum.... paybacks... cock a doooodle doooooooooooooo...

I almost forgot I shoved 2 eggs under my super broody, Banty, a month ago. Her two eggs pipped last night, and were zipping when I went out to feed everyone about 45 minutes ago. I wonder what her thought will be when she sees the webbed feet and large bills: "Boy, I sure don't remember THAT night??!"
lau.gif

Arielle, the kind of vacation you are taking is the kind I usually take. Take a week off work and do projects around the house. Those kind of vacations are what I call working vacations. Not bad, and you get a lot of things done but every now and again it is good to really go somewhere. This last vacation DH and I took was the first time in a couple of years we went somewhere. It was so nice to not have to worry about doing the animal chores or rearrange things in the house for a few days. We were actually supposed to go in April, but DH wound up going out of town for that month for a test for work. I kept waiting for him to make the reservations for the vacation when he got back. I finally just said screw it and made the reservations myself. I told him that I was going and he was invited to come along, but I was going with or without him. Sometimes you just gotta take the plunge. I was glad he came with me because I enjoyed spending those days just with him but I really would have gone without him if he hadn't come.

Quote: Sleeping in? I wish. Livestock still need feeding. I have learned though that I can delay feeding IF I don't go outside the house. THe horses give me one outside foray, on the second time out they start screaming at me for food.

My BIL had such horrible ways of jarring his kids out of bed so they could get off to daycare. My kids get up when they are ready, and if I do need to awaken them, it's softly and gently. THen someday I will get a similar payback!

Awww, nothing like cuties under a broodie.

Arielle, the kind of vacation you are taking is the kind I usually take. Take a week off work and do projects around the house. Those kind of vacations are what I call working vacations. Not bad, and you get a lot of things done but every now and again it is good to really go somewhere. This last vacation DH and I took was the first time in a couple of years we went somewhere. It was so nice to not have to worry about doing the animal chores or rearrange things in the house for a few days. We were actually supposed to go in April, but DH wound up going out of town for that month for a test for work. I kept waiting for him to make the reservations for the vacation when he got back. I finally just said screw it and made the reservations myself. I told him that I was going and he was invited to come along, but I was going with or without him. Sometimes you just gotta take the plunge. I was glad he came with me because I enjoyed spending those days just with him but I really would have gone without him if he hadn't come.
When I take a few days away from the farm, I am reminded time away is important. I just leave everything behind, and can mentally relax. A day here or there I can do, rarely a few days. Sometimes I take the kids to my brother's or mother's in Maine. I love showing them where I grew up. THe view from Cadillac is still impressive. The last visit I awoke them early for a last tour of the shoreline I frequented as a teenager.

When I take a few days away from the farm, I am reminded time away is important. I just leave everything behind, and can mentally relax. A day here or there I can do, rarely a few days. Sometimes I take the kids to my brother's or mother's in Maine. I love showing them where I grew up. THe view from Cadillac is still impressive. The last visit I awoke them early for a last tour of the shoreline I frequented as a teenager.
Yes time away from the daily routine is a must at times. It is much harder when you have young children or animals since you can't just take off for the weekend. You have to plan and make arrangements. You mention growing up in Maine. I also was born and raised there until I was almost 10. I was born in Lewiston and lived in Yarmouth, right on Casco Bay. I loved living there. To this day, the smell of pine needles baking in the summer sun takes me back to the hours and hours we used to play in the woods as kids.
Quote: Or cleaning the house, or washing the car or taking care of the animals.......
wink.png

Quote: Yup--weeding, as mundain as it is, can be heaven because it is relaxing. ANd a moment to think, mull and plan.
And plot world domination
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom