The 'one rooster for ten hens' theory is a myth for backyard flocks in many cases. (imo!)

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
So many times I see people quoting that one should have ten hens to a rooster, and anything else will cause bad problems. (in the case of less hens, overbreeding, feather loss, fighting roosters, etc. and in the cases of more hens lack of fertility)
Now this might be the case in commercial flocks, where they are going for maximum efficiency, but in a backyard flock with plenty of room, and flexibility from the owner, it really is irrelevant most of the time.

In the moment, I have one flock with two young roosters (somewhere around 9 or 10 months I think?) and two young hens around 8 months. They haven't been together that long, but so far they are getting on fabulously. The hens don't have a feather out of place, I hardly see the cockerels breeding them, but they titbit, wing dance, and look after them. The pullets look far happier then they did when they were part of a 22 hens to 1 rooster flock; and the cockerels (who were raised together by a previous owner) get on so well together.

At the same time, with the big flock, I see no lack of fertility from having only one rooster over 20 hens.
Some hens are actually losing some feathers, which is more of a weak feather gene from my observations, as most of the hens losing feathers are all the daughters of one particular hen, who has the same problem.

Its really down to the caretakers to observe, react if need be, but there is (imo) no need to follow a strict practice of so many hens to so many roosters; as it is all up to the individual temperaments of those particular birds.
Of course some roosters need more hens, and some need less, but there is no way to know unless you give them a chance.

Interesting post! I'm curious what leads you to consider a weak feather gene vs perhaps a behavior gene which leads to more submissive behavior on the hen's part, leading to less rooster dodging overall.

I have an old, clumsy rooster and 6 of 7 hens are bare in their saddle area. In this specific case I blame his technique, although the most submissive of the group went bald first. He's a pretty lackluster mating partner and I haven't had a hatch rate above 50%, even with the evidence of each hen being covered. It could be feather quality too, I suppose, as the entire hen flock at issue is Buff Orpington from just one hatchery.

I have no idea how to solve this situation; thankfully no grave injuries have occurred yet. But I certainly feel for my hens. I have a very large run so it isn't like they can't avoid him, and he's so old there's no non consentual activity going on either. If the hen doesn't want it it ain't happening, lol. A real puzzle for me.

Interesting post! I'm curious what leads you to consider a weak feather gene vs perhaps a behavior gene which leads to more submissive behavior on the hen's part, leading to less rooster dodging overall.
There are a couple of things, but firstly I just realize I made a mistake in that part of my first post. All the hens with that feather issue (except the original one) are actually granddaughters of that hen, as her son is one of my roosters.
So I have a fair few chicks that he fathered, from different hens, and they all have different temperaments.
That first hen was a cuckoo orpington (maybe its an orpington thing?) and her son looks a lot like her.
The hens with him are SS, RIR, and Buff Orpingtons, and all their chicks have different tolerances of the roosters, which makes me think its not submissive behaver causing it.
Also, when I have plucked culled cockerels from the same dad, they are easier to pluck, both having a few less (but fluffer) feathers, and feathers that come out easier; which is one reason I actually like having that rooster.
It would be better if I were just breeding a terminl cross from him though. (for meat)
I have no idea how to solve this situation; thankfully no grave injuries have occurred yet. But I certainly feel for my hens. I have a very large run so it isn't like they can't avoid him, and he's so old there's no non consentual activity going on either. If the hen doesn't want it it ain't happening, lol. A real puzzle for me.
Have you tried hen saddles? Sometimes they help, and other times they don't, but it might be worth giving it a go. Although, honestly, the hens don't really seem to care that much on the whole.

There are a couple of things, but firstly I just realize I made a mistake in that part of my first post. All the hens with that feather issue (except the original one) are actually granddaughters of that hen, as her son is one of my roosters.
So I have a fair few chicks that he fathered, from different hens, and they all have different temperaments.
That first hen was a cuckoo orpington (maybe its an orpington thing?) and her son looks a lot like her.
The hens with him are SS, RIR, and Buff Orpingtons, and all their chicks have different tolerances of the roosters, which makes me think its not submissive behaver causing it.
Also, when I have plucked culled cockerels from the same dad, they are easier to pluck, both having a few less (but fluffer) feathers, and feathers that come out easier; which is one reason I actually like having that rooster.
It would be better if I were just breeding a terminl cross from him though. (for meat)

Have you tried hen saddles? Sometimes they help, and other times they don't, but it might be worth giving it a go. Although, honestly, the hens don't really seem to care that much on the whole.
I have tried one type of saddle that my husband bought. I was very disappointed in it and am looking for a better brand recommendation as these just blow in the wind and a determined hen can take them off in under a minute. Of course, ideally I'd have either a gentler rooster or a larger/more resilient set of hens, and I have added 4 pullets this year of mixed lineage. We'll see if I achieve better balance this way, but I won't find out until we make it through the fall molt.

Lazy breeds might only need 3-5 hens per rooster. More active breeds may need as much as 15. My Egyptian Fayoumi do best in nature with 3 roosters for every 1 hen

There's no one right answer. Every situation is unique

I think these general rules put out there are mostly to give complete newbies like me a jumping off point to start from. Then it can be adjusted for your specific birds as you get to know them. Have a 6' x6' coop so should be able to have 9 hens. However we have ligh Sussex which are so big I would only want 6 or 7 at most in there.

Late response. But I have no issues with allowing as many roosters as nature gives me. In order to have my flock free range here in Arizona with so many aerial predators I’ve found it immeasurably beneficial. My hens seem to be happier to boot. The roosters take care of all their petty squabbles.

Back
Top Bottom