The pecking each other is out of control

IMO food issue. Sunflower seeds are always good, but if you can get press cake, that would be even better - less fat, more protein.

When I brought my birds home (10 weeks old) from a breeder, hardly any of them had tails, and were chasing each other around pulling and eating feathers.
They've settled down some now after a few weeks, but they still do it some.

I don't know what's lacking in a chickens diet that they want to eat feathers, but if it continues, I may just go to the second hand store and buy a few feather pillows to feed them.
I mean if that's what they think they need......I want my chickens to look pretty.

Your birds are really in trouble if some are actually wounded. With adequate space, activities, and a good diet, the next thing is to eliminate the aggressive birds. You may have only one or two who are the real troublemakers, and they need to be removed ASAP to save the rest. Some breeds and families are more likely to behave this way, and it's not good. Mary

I am a new chicken owner myself!
My one hen has been pecking my poor roosters tail to the point of bleeding. I have also tried over the counter remedies to break this habit!
I got advised also to separate the bully! Today she goes to jail for a few day!

Best of luck to you, and me!!

"my girls look horrible."

How old are your chickens?

Mine are going into a molt, and several of them look terrible, with bald patches, old raggy feathers, crabby and irritable.

Maybe they are just going into a molt?

Mrs K

Just wanted to Thank everyone for the advice. We did go with the pinless peepers and I am Happy to report that the pecking has stopped and beautiful new feathers are coming in. YAY

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom