The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Pics
Dozing off....

My last Pita Pinta hatch has begun. One chick out and several pips. I'm planning on giving the chicks to two of my proven broodies. The rest of the crazy broodies went to the farm Thurs morning. They will either give up on being broody or find a hidden spot with eggs and take it over. There is much less drama around here without them. But now I have one Pita Pinta pullet who has decided that she will be broody in the box that used to have 2 broody Langshan. It has to be in the water over here! I have quite a few Pita Pinta chicks and juveniles available if anyone is looking to add to their flock!

Sorry to sidetrack, but I noticed the leg color fading with my Wyandottes. Does it come back?

Yes, it comes back after the first molt. The color will fade again during the next egg laying cycle but not as much as the first year.

It has to do with yellow skin color breeds. The pigment that turns the yolk yellow is the same as the pigment for the skin.

Last edited:
Sam is loving having his harem and the girls seem to have gotten used to him. Its funny when he stands there calling them to food/treats and they simply ignore him because they already know the routine. I filled the feed bowl this morning and scattered some scratch and he stood by the food bowl and was calling and all the girls were focused on scratch.

Im not sure he has a favorite hen yet and in a week or so he and the juvenile pitas are going to a new home. Need to get them out before the eggs under the broody hatch.

Egg laying is way down lately
I think once I get the pitas moved and the chicks hatch Im going to worm the laying flock. I haven't seen signs of bugs.

Back
Top Bottom