The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

This classic old plate has helped a lot of people understand the language of breeding. In the current 2010 SOP the modern plates are used effectively as well. I added those lines in the photos above to help folks "see" what a narrow bird is, what a pinched bird is, what proper bird is. Hope it helps. I still think it is the first 40 pages of the SOP that makes it absolutely worth owning.

I had pre-determined I would not collect or hatch ANYTHING until late February. It helped prepare me mentally for being patient. As it turns out, it was a wise commitment. We're no where near through winter yet. There's lots more to come in the eastern 2/3 of the country. Yup. It's awful. Another log on the fire in the woodstove.

The good news is that despite the sub-zero temperatures, the F1 pullets are laying and laying well. Egg size is now good to go. They batted 1000 today. I'd rate them as XL. Doing just fine.

Great news Fred!! those gals should be ready to go as soon as the weather breaks!!

My first hatch is due 2 weeks from Saturday....laying is a bit sporadic right now, getting 4+/- from each breeder every week. One girl has YET to start laying and I may rotate her OUT to make room for a different breeding until I can verify she is laying again

It is time wasted with the cockbird if the hen is not laying, Scott. That is fo' sho'.

Of course, the good news is that it is an application of the Hogan philosophy. She's not gonna get her genes moving forward.
big_smile.png

It is time wasted with the cockbird if the hen is not laying, Scott. That is fo' sho'.

Of course, the good news is that it is an application of the Hogan philosophy. She's not gonna get her genes moving forward.
big_smile.png
Yup.....and the bad thing is she has great type (for a 2 yr old) and nice color. BUT, I'm not gonna raise a bunch of birds that lay poorly!! I'll go after type another way if I have to. She has 'til Saturday!!

Scott brings us a HUGE point. If you're selecting for winter laying, if that is important to you, then now is the time of year to find out who's got the goods and who doesn't. Most females will lay well for you in those bright, sunny days of late April, but I need to know who's a good layer now, under these bitter cold, dark conditions. THOSE are very important females to me.

See, we can make something happy and interesting even out of horrid, awful mid-winter day!!
lau.gif

Scott brings us a HUGE point. If you're selecting for winter laying, if that is important to you, then now is the time of year to find out who's got the goods and who doesn't. Most females will lay well for you in those bright, sunny days of late April, but I need to know who's a good layer now, under these bitter cold, dark conditions. THOSE are very important females to me.

See, we can make something happy and interesting even out of horrid, awful mid-winter day!!
lau.gif
Gotta be truly DUAL PURPOSE or they don't meet the standard in my book!!

Great news Fred!! those gals should be ready to go as soon as the weather breaks!!

My first hatch is due 2 weeks from Saturday....laying is a bit sporadic right now, getting 4+/- from each breeder every week. One girl has YET to start laying and I may rotate her OUT to make room for a different breeding until I can verify she is laying again
Sad thing is she has had lights on her (along with the others)since the weekend following Thanksgiving....NO EXCUSE!! I think she has definitely proven herself to be in the classification of "poor layer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom