The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hatching season begins!!

Can you please tell me about breeding to the "standard of perfection"? BRs are 1 of my 3 breeds. I also have BOs and GL Wyandottes. I trust my source for the GLWs but am a little unsure of the BOs because some of what were supposed to be BOs were not. Anything you can tell me would be helpful. My BR rooster looks similar to yours (no solid feathers, at least) but I don't know what else to look for.

Thanks,
Laura

Can you please tell me about breeding to the "standard of perfection"? BRs are 1 of my 3 breeds. I also have BOs and GL Wyandottes. I trust my source for the GLWs but am a little unsure of the BOs because some of what were supposed to be BOs were not. Anything you can tell me would be helpful. My BR rooster looks similar to yours (no solid feathers, at least) but I don't know what else to look for.

Thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura, glad you have an interest in Standard Bred Barred Rocks.

Here's your male from your avatar.

This is a hatchery sourced bird, or a bird from a backyard propagator not a bird from a line of Barred Rocks faithfully bred to the Standard. His barring is a bit messy, but more importantly, his type isn't there. What is "type"? Type is body shape which can be seen even if the bird was shown in black and white or silhouette. His tail is jacked up high, a trait called squirrel tail. His back line in extremely, extremely down hill where the Standard calls for a level back, swooping concave in the 20-25 degree tail raise. His wing carriage is also very high.

This is a Standard bred male.

You can only source Standard bred poultry from a reputable breeder. You could breed what you have for decades and still not achieve birds achieving Standard bred status. Enjoy your birds and learn good husbandry in keeping them. Then, take the time to find the kind of stock that you may be seeking.

Thank you, this is helpful. Where can I get information on this regarding the different breeds? I seem to have some trouble finding any.

The easy answer is to buy the Standard. These can be purchased from the American Poultry Association.

This book is the "bible" of standard bred poultry. Absolutely the encyclopedia of all things poultry.

Beyond that, I cannot stress how educational and eye opening it is to go to a major poultry exhibition where perhaps as many as 6000 or 9000 birds are exhibited by the top breeders. To see all these breeds, up close and personal, live, right in front of you? Frankly, there's no substitute.

There are websites and facebook pages maintained by the breed clubs who share in the breeding and promotion of these breeds. There are local poultry clubs where folks who love this fancy gather in mutual support. All these resources are at your fingertips.

But there will never, ever be a substitute to actually seeing these true bred birds in personal and talking in person to the breeders who exhibit them and talking with the judges who critique them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom