The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am waiting for this white prospect to develop

this cockerel will definitely be used in my breeding pen as he towers over all other silver penciled rocks I have this year. He should add some much needed size to the line

Last edited:
It is entirely what you want, what you like and what you prefer to feed and have on your property. It's that simple.

The hatcherys, none of them, have true bred, standard bred Barred Rocks.  I've seen 90% of them and they're not what I want, but if all you want is eggs from cuckoo colored birds, they'd be just fine.   Yes, they'll breed and make you more BSL chicks. 

Cackle claims these are heritage BR's and even shows them as prize winners. Please have a look at this link and if you aren't familiar with them and let me know what you think...

http://cacklehatchery.com/barred.html

Here is a pic from that link of the male:
barred_rock_std_rooster.jpg

Last edited:
Cackle claims these are heritage BR's and even shows them as prize winners. Please have a look at this link and if you aren't familiar with them and let me know what you think...

http://cacklehatchery.com/barred.html

Here is a pic from that link of the male:
barred_rock_std_rooster.jpg

Well he's no prize winner. He doesn't have good Rock type---no rounded breast, wings are way down. The hen pictured on their website looks like typical hatchery cuckoo patterned hen. Look at some of the nice heritage BR hens pictured on this thread and compare. As far as prize winners, those are county fairs listed. They might not even be sanctioned shows with an APA judge. I agree with what Fred said earlier about hatchery Barred Rocks.

this cockerel will definitely be used in my breeding pen as he towers over all other silver penciled rocks I have this year. He should add some much needed size to the line
May I ask which line of SPPR your working with?

Four varieties! I can't see myself with that many breeding pens but I bet it makes looking a rock type easy. My of SPPR have too thin of legs and not spaced apart well. Hoping that will improve in a few generations by picking for widest backs and heads.

May I ask which line of SPPR your working with?

Four varieties! I can't see myself with that many breeding pens but I bet it makes looking a rock type easy. My of SPPR have too thin of legs and not spaced apart well. Hoping that will improve in a few generations by picking for widest backs and heads.
I have a line that is from Martyn siple here in ontario and Horstman. Also I actually have seven varieties of plymouth rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom