The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proud of my week old XW BPR babies, and notice the pretty light ones? They're my bonus NHs. I couldn't believe it when I opened the box! But shipping kind of knocked them out so I added some organic sugar to their water the first day to bring up their electrolytes (they were so wobbly and out of it). Only a couple of BR developed (but were treated for) pasty butt; and now they're all doing so well.

I couldn't be more happy and pleased with the whole process.
big_smile.png

So glad to hear your chicks made the trip, Alana!
thumbsup.gif
wee.gif

Anyone have theories on why the lighter barred birds disappeared from the ol' days
or, as shown on the black/white pictures in some earlier posts?
They were lost through the selection of tighter bars for breeding?

I have a question regarding Rock tails (especially in females)

I have several groups ranging in age from 6 weeks to 5 months. In the older group(s) I see 2-4 females I really like. BUT, I noticed one thing very different about them. Several of them hold their tails STRAIGHT out....horizontal to the ground. A few others have tails that droop slightly. Would it be safe to assume those that are help straight out probably have stiffer main tail feathers than the others? I need to improve tails on both my females and my males so this is something I am watching closely

Any experience in this area? Advise?

Thanks

using the pix from the Standard as a point of reference, a Rock should be "well up on its legs" (standing tall)....the breast should not appear to be dragging the ground due to short/squatty legs

Hope that helps

Ahhhh....okay, that's kind of what I thought he meant with the exception of the breast. But what happens when all the mothers in your flock exhibit the same tendency; how does one correct for that? Do you out cross?

Ahhhh....okay, that's kind of what I thought he meant with the exception of the breast. But what happens when all the mothers in your flock exhibit the same tendency; how does one correct for that? Do you out cross?
No need for an outcross....

Find a male that is well up on his legs and use him, or just work with what you have, culling ruthlessly for length of leg

In good Rocks, it's normally there, you might just have to "tease it out"

Last edited:
I agree. Taller males aren't hard to find. The problem is that folks put short legged females in the breeding pen, keeping that look alive. We're all guilty, I suppose, of some aspects of barn blindness, over looking something that shouldn't be pushed forward.

Here a couple females we started with. These HAD to be used, back then, but today, we'd not breed from them because of the short legged look.

But look at that old drawing from a century ago. The female standing on the stump is nice up on her legs. The female pecking the ground in front of her? Low to the ground. This isn't a new issue, as that old drawing shows.

WOW! Those are some stubby legs. Not even my mutt BPR hen has legs that short. I hope I'll have some rock cocks that will have the long legs. But can't wait to see how my growing female babies will turn out.

Last edited:
Some of that is merely the camera angle. But….. yes. Some of these females are far too low to the ground. There's also another kind of low in front. If when viewed from the side, the balance on the pullet is pitched too far forward for her leg position on her body center, as she matures, her weight will cause a similar low look.

These things, and much, much more are all covered in the Standard of Perfection, the first 40 pages or so. Those pages are just something mandatory by way of reading and studying for all poultry folks just starting out. They simply are not optional. I re-read those pages every 6 months or so myself, especially good to review before doing culls or before making other decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom