The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
this hen won best of breed this weekend a total of 50 rocks were showed.

this hen won best of breed this weekend a total of 50 rocks were showed.

Tough and always a bit unfair to judge birds by photos, so with that caveat, I'll say she has faults. The breast is not deep and round, but is cut off and V shaped. The tail lack fullness and I prefer see the back line swoop smoothly into the tail as the Standard states it should.

One of my favourites just turned 1 year.

I haven't been on much due to a car accident. Excuse me for butting in. Finally felt well enough to take out the camera and get some photos. I've released all of my breeding pens except the Barred Plymouth Rocks. I don't dare release the with the randy cockerels hatched this spring. I would like to show them. My breeder cock is easy on the girls, without ruining fertility. I have a good 90% fertility this sumer. Summer is tough on hatches here, as the humidity is way too high, but I'm hatching at 75%. It was much better in the spring.

Ok I need some more input. This is a WPR Cockerel that was born in April. He was given to me by a friend. I suspect he is hatchery stock.
I can tell his back is a bit long, but other than that I'm not sure what else is wrong, given his age. If nothing more He'll go in with my mutt laying flock.

I have 6 K's, that are 16 weeks and they seem to be having wing issues. One of them is particulary bad, the wing is "split". I saw him flap his wings this morning and you could still see the gap in the wing. A couple of others have primaries that are out of place or "slipped" Over the past few weeks the wings have started to drop, from off the back down to the sides of the body. Is this normal for the primaries to look messed up? Are they still too young to be worried about this issue? I'm waiting for the birds to start roosting in a location where I can get to them. Until them I won't be able to crate them up and do a physical exam.

Thanks

Hi Fentress
frow.gif
Oh no. I know slipped wings need to be culled. Are you sure the others with a single feather out of place aren't "twisted feather" instead of "slipped wing"? From my reading, slipped wing has more than one feather involved. Twisted feather only one feather is involved. I read twisted feather could be from an injury and not necessarily genetic. I had twisted feather in three chicks last year who were the only ones raised by the hen in the coop. This year I didn't breed her but inbred dam/son using her 1/2 sister. No twisted feather. Yeah! So I think it may have been an injury issue with those chicks. The hen who threw the chicks with twisted feather is currently setting eggs by her son. She is again in the coop. It will be interesting to see how these chicks hatch out.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. Hopefully, they will correct in time, they are also molting a lot right now as well. I know I have one K that Has a bad wing, hope that's it. this hobby requires a Lot of patience!

Last edited:
Here's my Barred Plymouth Rock cockerel. Got him along with several others as little peeps back in April and boy he's come round in size! His name is Angel. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. Hopefully, they will correct in time, they are also molting a lot right now as well. I know I have one K that Has a bad wing, hope that's it. this hobby requires a Lot of patience!

LF rocks take forever to finish. I have a group (8-10) still here that are in the wait and see stage. All 7-8 months old and school is still out on them all. I've culled all I can for obvious defects and/or traits I don't want to move forward. Other than that, its a waiting game. I find some of mine are not finished until 12-15 months....as you said "patience"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom