The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones that do? Yup. There are some that stand proud and still show off at the very end. Those are birds with lots of gumption.

I felt the building was too warm for myself and the birds. Couldn't be helped, as people, birds, lights all generate heat. Remember, my birds had gotten used to bitter cold up north weather and had settled into that. Spending two days in 75-80 degree hall was mighty hot for them to adjust to, but my three was still spunky at the end. No complaints at all.

I've seen 4H barns at August fairs that were mighty warm too. I've seen high school girls hosing off their prized hogs and steers to cool them off. But honestly, most of this is pretty good pampering and I suspect my birds completely enjoyed the experience, if it were possible to tell such a thing.

Most of them would go again if you were to poll them.
big_smile.png

I've noticed that several folks have mentioned breeding a roo to his own mother... wouldn't the inbreeding have a negative effect on the birds?

If you have a strain in which you can't breed a male to his dam without problems, you have a strain in need of purification. Without DNA testing, the only way to achieve a purer line is through inbreeding, in combination with proper culling. Otherwise, you are propagating a problem by allowing it to continue under the surface.

Here is a link to an article I wrote for the ABA yearbook a couple years ago: http://www.peachstateseramas.com/jo...8-the-truth-about-linebreeding-joe-emenheiser

If you have a strain in which you can't breed a male to his dam without problems, you have a strain in need of purification. Without DNA testing, the only way to achieve a purer line is through inbreeding, in combination with proper culling. Otherwise, you are propagating a problem by allowing it to continue under the surface.

Here is a link to an article I wrote for the ABA yearbook a couple years ago: http://www.peachstateseramas.com/jo...8-the-truth-about-linebreeding-joe-emenheiser
Thanks for posting this link. Dennis

Quote:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Love to have newbies on the forum. To get the best information on line breeding check out the search button at the top. Search for line breeding. Another good place for information is to go to Google/books. Search for poultry or chickens. There are a lot of free downloadable poultry breeding books. That's where I got my start. Feel free to private message me anytime. :D

I've noticed that several folks have mentioned breeding a roo to his own mother... wouldn't the inbreeding have a negative effect on the birds?

I highly suggest you follow Joe Emenheiser's link he provided on his APA article: http://www.peachstateseramas.com/jo...8-the-truth-about-linebreeding-joe-emenheiser

Oh, and actually, on this thread, in this section, we honestly discourage baby-talk and don't refer to mating a "roo" to its mother. We would say mating a cockerel to his dam, perhaps. We encourage folks and teach folks to refer to roosters with age appropriate terms. Young males are cockerels and mature males are cocks or cockbirds.

Now, with that out of the way, please, please feel welcome here and ask any question you have. We all started somewhere and your questions are most welcome.

Last edited:
Bob Blosl's old website, thank goodness, remains up. It is full of priceless articles and insights for the breeder. Bob's style is his own, as he writes of whatever strikes his fancy. Yet, this site is chock full of information that should be required reading, if that were possible, for the hundreds of folks here on BYC who are trying to wrap their minds around how to begin breeding birds.

Mark this site, please and return to often as you have time. Read and enjoy from one of the real characters in the poultry fancy of last half century. Sadly, Bob left this earth far too early and we still miss him very much.

Here's the link to Bob's site. http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id60.html

My 9 month old Cockerel from Fred's Hens. Fred--be honest, what do you think? Anyone else? Please critique for a novice.

FYI--his legs are a lot more yellow than this picture is showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom