The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beekissed, thank you very much for the nice words. I have been blessed with very healthy chicks & adult birds in these Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks over the last few years. My Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks are a work in progress and I am very happy to be breeding this unique variety of the Plymouth Rocks.
smile.png

Every time I see that variety, my mouth waters to have some and I have to remind myself to concentrate on the guy that brought me to the dance, my WRs.
big_smile.png
I love the SPPR's coloring and their mothering reputation. In your experience, are they a good, steady layer like the WRs and the PRs?

Every time I see that variety, my mouth waters to have some and I have to remind myself to concentrate on the guy that brought me to the dance, my WRs.  :D   I love the SPPR's coloring and their mothering reputation.  In your experience, are they a good, steady layer like the WRs and the PRs? 

Bekissed, as much as I'd love to see you breeding the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks I very much admire your dedication to the White Plymouth Rocks. Sticking with one variety & committing all your efforts & time to that one variety is awesome. From what I have seen in the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks that I have had over the last few years is they are very good year around layers only taking a break to go broody. As broodys they are very persistent and for this reason starting next month they will take the place of my incubator in many hatches. :)

I know...and it's hard sometimes to resist when folks on here show such wonderful birds like yours. I have all I can do just to try and learn to do some real breeding on the WRs I have, though I wouldn't mind having some reliable broodies for just the purpose you will use them for...nothing more successful in hatching than a good broody. I had even contemplated getting some standard cochins for the job, but how much better to have a broody that lays well the rest of the year? I have two good ones now but they don't lay well at all the rest of the year, so I'm mainly feeding them for a once or twice a year performance.

No worries, I'm pretty good at this thing they all call chicken math....I understand how to subtract.
wink.png
I make it a policy to not add more than I can handle and to subtract yearly so I have room to improve those I have.

I know...and it's hard sometimes to resist when folks on here show such wonderful birds like yours.  I have all I can do just to try and learn to do some real breeding on the WRs I have, though I wouldn't mind having some reliable broodies for just the purpose you will use them for...nothing more successful in hatching than a good broody.  I had even contemplated getting some standard cochins for the job, but how much better to have a broody that lays well the rest of the year?  I have two good ones now but they don't lay well at all the rest of the year, so I'm mainly feeding them for a once or twice a year performance. 

No worries, I'm pretty good at this thing they all call chicken math....I understand how to subtract.  ;)   I make it a policy to not add more than I can handle and to subtract yearly so I have room to improve those I have. 

You are doing awesome Bekissed & I look forward to seeing the progress you make in your White Plymouth Rocks in the future. :)

Good looking pens Scott. We are supposed to get 12-15" of snow tonight but I will believe it when I see it.

This black pullet is a product of a blue x blue mating, and is starting to show signs of the Rock type that I have been breeding for. She was hatched in September and was raised in an unheated, uninsulated barn in northern Vermont. Weight was 2 ounces shy of 6 lb at 4 months of age (pictured at 5 months). One thing that makes her particularly unique is that she has BOTH good yellow leg color and dark slate undercolor. It's almost too bad that the black variety is not recognized in large fowl.

Looking good Joe, nice to see the slate color getting out of the mix. Is this from your main line of Blue or the Andalusion? If the later then I'm speechless you could get that shape so soon! Either way looking really good.

Last edited:
Very icy today but still have power, at least so far I do. Chickens will be staying inside today where it is dry & warm.
smile.png

What perfect icicles!!!
clap.gif
So evenly spaced and mostly the same length....almost like you planned it that way. My flock were avoiding the 3 in. of fresh snow this morning also, though they've been coming out in this teens and single digit weather more and more lately to forage...what they are foraging I have no idea, as everything is frozen, but there seems to be a renewed interest in what is out there....tells me spring is on the way!

The deep litter gives them something to do indoors and I've also hidden different things under it to encourage their busy work. We are currently getting a heatwave of 28*, so I see a few out right now in the snow anyway...heads down and tails up..what in the world are they eating out there???

What perfect icicles!!!  :clap   So evenly spaced and mostly the same length....almost like you planned it that way.  My flock were avoiding the 3 in. of fresh snow this morning also, though they've been coming out in this teens and single digit weather more and more lately to forage...what they are foraging I have no idea, as everything is frozen, but there seems to be a renewed interest in what is out there....tells me spring is on the way! 

The deep litter gives them something to do indoors and I've also hidden different things under it to encourage their busy work.   We are currently getting a heatwave of 28*, so I see a few out right now in the snow anyway...heads down and tails up..what in the world are they eating out there???   

Yes Beekissed, the icicles was the work of old man winter himself. The sun is out & the ice is melting today so today is definitely a better day. My chickens spent the best part of today outside also, these Plymouth Rocks sure can take the cold weather. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom