The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just starting incubating as well. The gals finally started pumping out the eggs with the change in weather here last week. It's been a late spring for us.

Last edited:
My girls have been laying strong for three weeks now...I'm pretty proud of this little flock of mine this spring. In the past 24 days they have laid 136 eggs, 10 mature hens~three of which are not really laying right now, so let's just say 4(6 mo. old) pullets and 3 (2 yr old) hens are pulling the load. We'll see how they do the rest of the year.

Well, finished up giving Big Weaver his man pedi...and I do believe he kind of liked it.
lol.png
Of course, he probably didn't like being trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey and lying on his back for a bit, but he didn't get too traumatized by it all. He was calm afterward and he and I shared the pen as I worked in there tweaking the space. I was down on my knees with my back turned all the while, so he could have exacted some revenge if he had dared. His nails and spurs are sufficiently trimmed and dulled, his body has been checked for anything that would hinder his progress and everything is good to go.

I consulted with him all the while about the renovations going on in his breeding pen and I think he agreed with the changes I proposed. At least, he didn't disagree, so I take that as a tacit agreement of it all.

You know you are going nuts~or are an extremely lonely woman~ when you are out having a full conversation with a big, white bird after having just given him a pedicure.
caf.gif

I haven't had a chance to be on here. Everytime I try on my computer it gives me an error. This is the only thread that does it. Really annoying.

. . . .You guys are going to laugh at me but I'm going to be doing a little toenail grooming on the male before breeding starts. I'm going to trim toenails and then file them down with the dremmel until they are dull and can't rip up my girl's feathers. He's pretty large and also a very aggressive breeder, so he does a lot of balancing and shifting while up there....meanwhile the feathers take a beating. . . . .
Wish I'd thought of that. My cockerel is nice as they come (translate: he's a bit afraid of me) but is so awfully big. He has trouble balancing and really tramples the pullets, so their feathers are getting mussed up. Sometimes he gets confused and approaches from the front, grabs a beakful of head feathers, and pulls. Or he approaches from the side, gets a beakful of hackle feathers, and pulls. Neither tactic works. I don't think I can muzzle him . . .

My girls have been laying strong for three weeks now...I'm pretty proud of this little flock of mine this spring. In the past 24 days they have laid 136 eggs, 10 mature hens~three of which are not really laying right now, so let's just say 4(6 mo. old) pullets and 3 (2 yr old) hens are pulling the load. We'll see how they do the rest of the year.

Well, finished up giving Big Weaver his man pedi...and I do believe he kind of liked it.
lol.png
Of course, he probably didn't like being trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey and lying on his back for a bit, but he didn't get too traumatized by it all. He was calm afterward and he and I shared the pen as I worked in there tweaking the space. I was down on my knees with my back turned all the while, so he could have exacted some revenge if he had dared. His nails and spurs are sufficiently trimmed and dulled, his body has been checked for anything that would hinder his progress and everything is good to go.

I consulted with him all the while about the renovations going on in his breeding pen and I think he agreed with the changes I proposed. At least, he didn't disagree, so I take that as a tacit agreement of it all.

You know you are going nuts~or are an extremely lonely woman~ when you are out having a full conversation with a big, white bird after having just given him a pedicure.
caf.gif
Bee you are hysterical! Love your husbandry
pop.gif

Currently cobbling together an extra breeding hut out of free pallets. Truly a redneck rig up indeed...so much so that I'm kinda proud of my hillbilly roots right now. It has an old license plate stuck in one corner to block off possible chick exits, it's got zip ties aplenty, it's using an old bucket as a nest and will have some roofing paper on the outside to block the wind and rain. I'll have to get a pic of it for y'all because jimmy riggin' of this magnitude simply cannot be missed.
cool.png

Good thing chickens don't care where they live or bed down for the night.
lol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom