The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ending day 22 of my hatch. 3 hatched end of day 21 and now have 12 with two more pips. Not bad for shipped eggs. Started with 22 and two were infertile so I'll say 12 of 20 out so far (60%).

Here's a few of my new flock. Believe the Silver Penciled are sexable as some are far more silver than others. I'll check the leg size later and see if there's a correlation to confirm they can easily be sexed at hatch.

Those are big, beautiful chicks!
thumbsup.gif

And another broody, as of this evening. Split the 21 egg clutch under the broody I got last week and gave the new broody 7 of them and relocated both broodies to the nursery pen tonight. If I get a good hatch from these birds I'll have my quota for the spring breeding/hatching and will not have messed with an incubator once, nor will I be caring for chicks.
celebrate.gif

What really excites me is that two of my broodies are the young pullets from my fall breeding of the WR heirloom male. I had wanted broodiness to be a trait in my line and it is. I also had wanted good lay and early maturity and they have also shown that as well. Good feathering, good temperaments, good foraging and survival skills, and feed thrift are all showing up in these three pullets that I favor.

I'll be very excited to see what these hatches bring.

Last edited:
My very first BPR just hatched! Im so excited. I have 4 more pips and still 19 eggs to go. I have such a good feeling about this batch of eggs, I feel a great hatch rate coming on.

I can't wait to see your chicks and how they grow up! Everyone is hatching, hatching, hatching and we will have a HUGE crop of PRs by the time this season is done, but imagine all the pics of these chicks when they have reached their full growth. We'll be rich!
celebrate.gif

Anyone cross a barred rock with silkie? Pictures!!

Probably not the thread to be asking that question.
lol.png
The folks who participate in this thread are serious about developing their Rocks as a breed and may or may not have a little fun on the side by breeding them to mutts or other breeds, but they don't normally use this thread as a gallery for their experiments.

Just not that kind of thread.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom