The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think my hatch is complete. Out of the 26 BPR eggs I set I have 19 bouncing energetic chicks showing soooo much vigor! I also have another 2 chicks not showing as much vigor and need a little bit more time to perk up. I will be moving the 19 bouncing babies to the brooder tonight, and hopefully pictures of them to come.

21 BPR chicks from 26 eggs, couldnt be happier!

edited to add pics, sorry quality is not great on my new phone

Last edited:
So I think my hatch is complete. Out of the 26 BPR eggs I set I have 19 bouncing energetic chicks showing soooo much vigor! I also have another 2 chicks not showing as much vigor and need a little bit more time to perk up. I will be moving the 19 bouncing babies to the brooder tonight, and hopefully pictures of them to come.

21 BPR chicks from 26 eggs, couldnt be happier!

Most excellent and wonderful news!!!
clap.gif
Congratulations!! Can't wait to see pics of them all growing into their own...lovely, strong Rocks.

I hatched from a 6 yr old hen this past fall as well. Tell me something...what exactly does "lack of vigor" mean? Genetic problems? And those lie where? Within the egg and sperm of the parent animals. Yes, I realize an old egg can still be fertile and some cannot, depending upon individual genetics....which are found within the egg matter. And, yes, chicken's reproduction works very much like ours at the bottom of the bottom of things...there is an egg and it's fertilized by a sperm cell and both of these hold genetic matter that will determine what characteristics the chick will have....just like in humans and many other creatures on this earth. The basic reproductive action is all the same...egg and sperm, egg and sperm.

If the male I am using can produce viable, thriving chicks when crossed over a hatchery bird but cannot do the same when crossed over an heirloom hen, I'd venture to say it's not the male's fault or genetic issue, but the female's. Her EGGS are part of the problem as they hold her genetic material and determine if the chicks will have "active, healthy, well-balanced growth", be it because she is crossed with a particular male and their genetics form a bad combination or whatever the cause, in this case I'm thinking the female is the key to the problem.
I realize that this is an older post, Bee, but it does have to do with my case of Blosl hen. She is in the pen with a Coronation Sussex, 2 super blue egg layers and the Blosl cock. Eggs like crazy. All fertilized well. Ha!! BUT, not one pure Blosl baby out of the 24 hatched. Lots of mixes. I'm bringing over the 2 XW hens to this pen and getting rid of the extras. Maybe we can have a good mixture of Blosl/XW. I think I'll put the Blosl hen with the XW cock and see what happens. Maybe she just didn't like him and was holding the sperm.

I realize that this is an older post, Bee, but it does have to do with my case of Blosl hen. She is in the pen with a Coronation Sussex, 2 super blue egg layers and the Blosl cock. Eggs like crazy. All fertilized well. Ha!! BUT, not one pure Blosl baby out of the 24 hatched. Lots of mixes. I'm bringing over the 2 XW hens to this pen and getting rid of the extras. Maybe we can have a good mixture of Blosl/XW. I think I'll put the Blosl hen with the XW cock and see what happens. Maybe she just didn't like him and was holding the sperm.

That's a new twist, huh?
wink.png

I'm expecting my first hatch tomorrow of Blosl male over his own daughters from my fall breeding. No XW genes in this first hatch at all, just Blosl and some "vigor" genetics thrown in. Can't wait to see how they all turn out. I didn't breed XW at all this year, though I have two broodies sitting on some eggs from the coop that should have some Blosl/XW chicks in there, but not necessarily by choice. We'll see if any of them show up in the final hatch.

I'm looking to purchase a couple of white Plymouth Rock hens, can you point me in the right direction?

This blue male from 2014 is heading up my 2015 breeding pen. I still done have virtually zero selection for color in this line, just focused on type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom