The predator I never expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabelineandliz

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2016
I hope you will be willing to read this with an open mind and heart.

It all started with a clutch of wild turkey eggs and a tragically missplaced tractor tire: My stepdad was tilling an empty field at a ranch when, seemingly out of the ground, a turkey hen flies up and ends up under the wheel of the tractor. My stepdad gets out to she what happened, only to find a mess of brown feathers under the tire, and a clutch of spotted eggs a little off to the side. He ends up bringing them home in a box with a blanket and some of the feathers. We get a heat lamp on them, and overnight ship an automatic incubator. We didn't have high hopes, but we gave it a shot: four out of the eight eggs hatched. we bought two Roed Island red poults because my mom read somewhere that turkey chicks are so dumb that they need some leadership to show them how to eat and drink. We eventually lost all but one turkey and one chicken to a raccoon, and we named the pair Sam and Ella (say that out loud haha) whe had the two of them for a while, until during a late night storm the turkey got out of the yard (we live in the suburbs,we have a privacy fence, and Sam (the turkey) had been sleeping on the roof, while Ella slept in our young live oak tree). The next morning we went to look for Sam, when we couldn't find her we asked a suspicious looking kid if he had seen a brown turkey, he then said "with a yellow thing on its leg?" (She had a yellow tag on her leg with our phone number engraved on it for this very situation) we were suddenly relived, if he knew about the tag surely he knew where she was. When we said yes that was her, he then tried to backtrack and say he didn't know what we were talking about. After a lot of coaxing from my mom, he told us that his buddy sent him a picture of himself holding a turkey by the neck, holding HER by the neck. Now, keep in mind we live in a residential area, she was tame enough to pick up and flip over to look at her tag and contact us. Hearing that some kid had just killed her, killed our family pet, just because she was there, was utterly heartrenching. Through some Facebook stalking, we found out who the kid was. He was a kid who went to my school and was in the ROTC program (like a pre military club). We also got his phone number and called to ask what happened. At first he denied, saying she just got hit by a truck, but that of course didn't match up with the story from his friend, and we told him that. Then he too tried to back track and say "I don't know anything about a turkey" and he hung up. My mom went to the school and talked to he principle, we knew there wasn't much they could do, but they could at least call the parent and explain the situation. We learned later that the parent just claimed to not know what the problem was (that was at least what the school told us.) I still see that kid in the halls, of course he doesn't know who I am, but it infuriates me that he'll probably never think what he did was wrong. Sam was out only for half a day. He could have easily picked her up to look at her tag and return her to us, but he killed her because he was bored. I always think "what if she was a dog? The news would probably have covered it" but she was a turkey, so it doesn't matter to anyone. I know most people have lots of laying hens and lose about one a month to predators, but we only had two birds and they were our pets. I just wanted to share that story in case anyone else has lost a bird that was dear to them, and then had people telling them "it's just a chicken," "it's just a turkey" like that makes it any better, because I delt with a lot of that and I'm sure I will deal with it on this post, which is fine, I can understand it. However, even if they are a species of animal I eat all the time, that one was my pet, I saw that one hatch out of an egg and grow up, that one would eat out of my hand and jump on my lap. Ella, the hen that was left, called for her for probably three days after, that probably hurt the most, that she'd never really know what happened to her buddy. I guess what I want to say here is: species doesn't matter, their place in you heart matters.

What a little creep. They say that killing animals is one of the signs of a future serial killer. You should contact your local police department - regardless of their status as pets, turkeys are legally livestock, and that kid took and killed an animal that was under your ownership (and even had a tag?!). At the very least you should be able to get monetary compensation for the bird, and you may be able to get him charged with animal cruelty. Could probably sue too, but that would likely be more hassle than it's worth.

Edit: Here's a similar case, though in this case the bird was stolen from the property:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...uvm-students-steal-kill-eat-chicken/20198633/

And a quote from the article:
"Under statute, there's a reference to taking somebody's property, including taking an animal that doesn't belong to you and killing it," Bilodeau said. "That alone would satisfy the animal cruelty charge."

Last edited by a moderator:
What a sad story. There a plenty of sick nasty people about in the world.

In this case I think you just need to try to move on and forget about the incident.

This is because you have no proof of what happened.. even through your strongly suspect what happened.

I had a neighbour climb over my garden fence, go into my pigeon coop and poison all my fantail pigeons while I was on holiday.

The old man was a nut job, and he hated my pigeons.. always complaining about them.

I know it was him. But I have not proof. So I just ignored it.. even through i was heartbroken.

I agree about the double standards when it comes to different species of animals.

A friend had a dog get into her garden and kill her 2 rabbits and the dog owner got into a lot of trouble.

But I had a neighbours cat come into my garden and kill lots of my parakeets in the aviary, but cats owners are not responsible for what their cats do. Weird.

What a little creep. They say that killing animals is one of the signs of a future serial killer. You should contact your local police department - regardless of their status as pets, turkeys are legally livestock, and that kid took and killed an animal that was under your ownership (and even had a tag?!). At the very least you should be able to get monetary compensation for the bird, and you may be able to get him charged with animal cruelty. Could probably sue too, but that would likely be more hassle than it's worth.

Edit: Here's a similar case, though in this case the bird was stolen from the property:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...uvm-students-steal-kill-eat-chicken/20198633/

And a quote from the article:
"Under statute, there's a reference to taking somebody's property, including taking an animal that doesn't belong to you and killing it," Bilodeau said. "That alone would satisfy the animal cruelty charge."

If I had the picture we would have totally done something, we only heard about it. It was also two years ago (I know, a long time to hold the grudge but it's still hurts) I'm thinking about just yelling at him about it on one of the last days of school, then I'll never have to see him again. I think that's the only justice I can realistically get. I just try to take peace in knowing he's gonna get it back at him, one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry about what happened to you, mabelineandliz.
hugs.gif
And to you as well, jak2002003.
hugs.gif

Whether it be a bird, a mammal, a reptile or a fish...these critters can very much claim a piece of our hearts.
It is a very real loss when a loved pet is taken away unjustly. The hurt is very real whether others recognize this or not.
It seems to hurt worse when people do not validate your hurt because they fail to understand it.
Please know that there are many who do understand the love a person can have for their birds.

In regards to these boys, or boy...if they possess any inkling of a moral compass of right and wrong and they did in fact do something wrong...they know it was wrong.
If they don't possess this moral compass, then there's nothing you could say or do to make them understand.
Two years is not a very long time for a wound to heal. I think the saying "time heals all wounds" is pretty much right.
It certainly lessens the hurt to a large degree. You just need more time.
Please know that all the thoughts you have and scenarios you think about are not worth it.
It only serves to steal time from the present and keeps the hurt fresh.
Cherish the fond memories you have and hold them close, but give yourself permission to move forward for your own sanity
Sometimes good people become consumed and bitter when something like this happens... and it forever changes them.
When you're a good person trying to do the right thing and no one else seems to care, it can be pretty defeating.

It's been 6.5 years for me and I can now look back and see the state of mind I was in at the time was not healthy for me.
I'm glad I gave myself permission to move on.
Surprisingly, I have found that those who cause hurt do eventually seem to get theirs in the end.

There is a possible second crime here.  By Law all non-migratory wildlife belongs to your state government.  In most jurisdictions the Game Wardens take a dim view of people possessing wild game animals. 

A word to the wise should be sufficient.    

It appears the hunt is on and only certain facts will be considered.

Centrarchd - there is no "hunt". Chickengeorgeto was simply stating that it may also have been against the law to keep the eggs and the turkey because they were wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom