The Red Star Thread

Oh my gosh! THOSE ARE SOME ADORABLE CHICKS!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I have one Red Star named Peppermint. She's molting REAL BAD right now, so I can't exactly post any pics of her at this moment.
hit.gif
And P.S., does anybody know how to create a thread? I'm a NEW EGG as you have seen, so I don't really know how to do ANYTHING, except post things like this. Anyone?

Hi !
I am just "out of the brooder" myself!
I want to see pictures of Peppermint! My Rosie is supposed to be a redstar but I am beginning to wonder if she really is a RIR. She is the least tame of my flock and has no white on her at all.
If you scroll to the top of this page you will see an option to click to "Start a New Thread". It is just to the right of the "post a reply" button.
What kind of Wyandottes do you have? I really want one of those--I think they are gorgeous and sooo sassy!

I have a mixed, but mostly positive review of red stars, golden comets, ISA browns, production reds, etc lol. So many names for the same bird! Our first girls were four reds. It's been exactly one year since we got them (3-22-15) and two of them are still living. They all lived at least 8 months, but only 3 of them reached point of lay. Poor Cinnamon never seemed to fully develop. Her comb never came in all the way, and one day she just fell over dead with no warning. We didn't do a necropsy because she was our very first casualty, but we're pretty sure something was developmentally wrong with her since she hadn't reached maturity and the other girls had been laying for almost two months by that point.

Our second loss, Meatball, was just this week at one year old. She had been acting off for some time and stopped laying a week ago. I suspected egg yolk peritonitis, and necropsy confirmed my suspicion.
sad.png
I've been doing a lot of reading and EYP and internal laying seem to be much more common in these hybrids that are bred for super production. Meatball laid HUGE eggs every day without fail. I think it broke her system. We still have the two remaining reds, Peggy and Stretch, and they so far appear healthy and lay like champs, but our experience and research has made me wary of getting more of this breed in the future. The amazing productivity is great for farmers who sell eggs, and I'm sure it's just super for commercial egg places with battery hens
roll.png
, but it's not worth the risk of loss for my little family flock.

Now, all that bad stuff being said (which is just my experience and could be waaay off from the norm), these girls could not have better personalities. They have been the best little lap birds. My two year old niece follows them around and picks them up every time she comes over. She's holding Meatball in this picture, who was my 6 year old's favorite bird. One of our 4 week old Welsummer chicks has been dubbed "Meatball Junior Spaghetti" in her memory
lol.png
. The three girls that reached point of lay gave us an egg every single day without fail, even throughout winter. We're in Virginia, so a little over 9 hours of sunlight on winter solstice. I'm very happy we chose this breed for our first batch of chicks. We learned so much from them and their friendly personalities helped my whole family ease into the world of chickens. We have a mixed flock this year and the girls could not be more different from each other lol

please excuse the roughness of our yard. I'm a hermit in winter and the place just falls apart lol. I have some work to do!

SOOOOO Yesterday was my birthday and i went and picked up 2 pullets, both 4 1/2 months old!
big_smile.png
SO excited, then on my way to get some diatomaceous earth i ended up with 2 chicks
roll.png
, I wanted all pullets but meh, i can't seem to find the other breeds i want in pullet unless i order online which would take forever, and i can't order just 3 pullets of all different breeds without paying a leg. my pullets are brown sex link, red star, red comet, what ever who calls 'em what and where, lol. my chicks are a barred rock and ameraucana, though i wanted an Easter Egger, she's close enough. now i've got to find my sussex and i'll be all full. This first pic is the ladies once i got them in their coop, just before i added their roosting pole. It's a make shift coop at the moment, with one side completely closed off, the back side has the screened vent up top, the right side is enclosed on top and bottom half screenedand the front side and door are fully screened. I did it this way so that they get some sunlight in the morning and early afternoon, but the hottest parts of the day are shaded, they have a homemade auto-waterer made with a gallon jug and an old pyrex dish, lol! had i known it was that easy to make one i wouldn't have ordered some online! Well the darker lady is more of a beast, she's def head honcho of her sister, we are deciding on whether to name her Countess Drogon or Brienne of the coop. (Game of thrones names) She attacked me when pulling them from their transport cage to the coop, she didnt like when i had pulled her sis out so when i went for her she fluffed up and came after me, which made her easy to catch!
lol.png

This cutie above is the more timid and shy honey. Not sure what we're going to name her.. Sansa, Honey, Darlin' or Princess Chauncey Fluffenbottom. I was a bit sad to see their beaks had been trimmed, i'm one for leaving nature and it was created. That being said i did bring the chicks to meet the pullets for about 5 minutes (I know I know) miss angry butt tried to peck at the ameraucana but i put my arm in front of lil miss murder pants and shushed her while petting her (which i found she loves!!) and she spent the next 5 mins purring and slowly trotting around the chicks, checking them out, then she'd go eat, come back and watch them, go check on miss gentle lady and come back and watch the babies hop around.i'm going to try to do this for 5 minutes twice a day since she did so well and after i feel she's coming along better i will up it to 10 minutes/day twice a day, until they are able to be a flock.

Now these cuties aren't red stars but they are the chicks that will be part of miss violent butt's flock and well, I wanna show them off!

We haven't got the slightest clue what we are naming them yet, but the BR is def the boss of the Ameraucana here, yet she totally submits when she's around the pullets. The Ameraucana chick is the silliest chick, she trips over the hay, falls in the water, and tries to shove her fat butt under the BR! which kinda makes me sad because she wants a momma. they run after us and follow us when we pass by and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HARD to NOT pick them up and cuddle their adorable fluffy tushes! Needless to say they are in a homemade brooder in the house, the kids respect they can't hold them, the cats are terrified of them, and one dog wants to cuddle and bathe them while the other wants to eat them (I'm assuming, he's a hunter so i'm not even testing that one!!) They are kept safe and monitored constantly last night, and i am so nervous about being at work today and not being able to have them here with me! they are locked up tight but baby birds die so easily i'm just assuming everything is out to eat the little nuggets
hide.gif

I am sorry i am replying 3 years later,but I just saw your post.This is my red star hen,her name is ''Sweetie''.

Back
Top Bottom