The rehoming a rooster thread

Pics
Roosters name: Buckbeak
Breed: Bantam Easter Egger
Weight: 2 lbs +- (forget to ask avian vet this week and maybe the digital scale is not accurate).
Size: Bantam

~
Sorry SO long (Lotsa details):

Bantam Easter Egger Buckbeak was born 25 March 2020 (from Crackle Hatchery), and, as a chick, his scissors beak became noticeable and obvious. For the first couple of weeks, he ate chick feed just fine and drank out of the little chick waterers (ground). Later, after four months of age, he struggled to eat. We put him in an Eglu + 3-run extension chicken coop/run/tractor with another little less severe crossbeak hen. In the last couple of months, he can hardly eat at all. I started feeding him by syringe (30-35 ml). Then this past week I went to the local avian vet. He got a check-up, happily parasite-free and healthy. The avian vet did give me probiotics to help his gut health improve, he had a little dysbiosis (and the doc said NO honey or unsweetened apple sauce to make mash or feed torpedoes as it was disrupting his gut health). The vet said Buckbeak was VERY sociable; he is a friendly, sweet little roo. The main reason that I went was to learn how to properly tube feed him as he doesn't seem to be able to eat on his own (and good thing I did as instructions online were inaccurate, suggested the wrong size tube and so on, or failed to mention certain details of the process that are critical to avoid perforating his crop). LONG STORY SHORT, I have been helping my daughter take care of her chickens since March. Yet I am a PhD student and must go back to the UK soon. She has been putting her new baby in a stroller so she can help me tube feed the little roo twice daily, yet she cannot give him the care that he needs when I leave the US (tube feeding is a 2-person job and I will be gone). We would like to find him a good home in Florida. I will drive him pretty much anywhere in the state, yet you must be an experienced scissors beak chicken owner or have experience in carefully tube feeding a small chicken. If you do not want a single chicken, you could have his best friend Peach Fuzz. PF has slight scissors beak yet no issues eating and is a good little layer. She lays--at least every other day--a little bluish-green egg (see photo). They have had mostly organic feed since birth, are healthy, free of disease and started with medicated feed. They have also had some classical music played (a water-resistant player by the coop) and like to eat bugs and herbs (though Buckbeak cannot really get anything he does try). I have been feeding Buckbeak avian health shake or Exact with raw egg and water (no more unsweetened apple sauce per the vet) and use coconut oil on the tube. He will come with four new tubes/35 ml syringes (on way from Azon) and his special food powders, too (and can provide his vet record if needed). He has been in the house at times, with a chicken diaper when he was smaller, and will sit on your lap or in a lined rectangular basket (he and Peach Fuzz both will perch on a pet gate to roost together if they are in the house). Really hope someone can take this lovely little guy. I can't bear to think of his future if he does not find a good home. PS. They do not free-range here as we are by a large prairie with predators. Also, see the pictures for the egg PC laid today. Tried to get a good face shot of BB, his bottom beak part is entirely crossways, as his deformity is severe.
Sadly, last week an opossum killed Buckbeak just after he turned one year old. He was never rehomed. It is tragic how little roosters lives are valued. No one wanted to lovingly care for a crossbeak rooster. Due to the pandemic, I didn't go back to the UK on time. I tried torpedo feeding him yet he hated it. Then I tube fed him twice a day for a while. That didn't work out well. He didn't like it, and sometimes his comb would turn blue. So, instead, I gave him and Peach Fuzz (slight crossbeak companion) a mixture of feed with eggs and unsweetened apple sauce mixed in to make feed gruels of varying liquidity. Remarkable, he continued to get bigger and bigger and was a beautiful young rooster. Then, one night he must not have gotten into the Eglu coop before the auto door closed. I was engaged in an errand and did not see that he was out. The next morning, a disaster of the heart. Feathers everywhere and a hole dug under the flange wire and into the run extension. All of the chickens were traumatised. The next two nights, I was out at every sound and caught the HUGE opossum coming back (hoping for seconds). I chased him into a huge old hollow tree yet didn't have the heart to kill him (he was only feeding himself and his family). As a predator defence, I spread a 5" band of hot ground chilli peppers with seeds and powder around the entire coops and runs (that's a lot of heat) plus added a string of fairy lights plus made certain that the chickens MP3 player was always charged to play their classical music at night. Plus, I made certain that the motion detector lights were turned to face the sun for solar charging all day. I tried an AMAZING predator (fox) light from Azon, though my dear SIL took it down (he's a night owl and the weird flashing was too much for him, it flashed red, white, and blue lights at odd, unpredictable moments). The opossum only came back two nights before it got the message. Stay away from our bantam chickens. I've ordered more solar motion-activated lights and chilli powder, because the night after a lot of rain the opossum came back and dug deep holes in 3 places around the coops and walk-in and other runs. Anyway, that is the end of Buckbeak's story. I have learned a lot about chickens in the last year, some of it wonderful, surprising, lol funny (they are such quirky, lovable little creatures), and some of it tragic. Roosters lives are not valued by many. No one wanted Buckbeak, and he came to a sad end. In good news, Peach Fuzz is finally getting a rest. Her poor little vent was a bit bedraggled from frequent loving from Buckbeak and her near-daily egg-laying. She is a sweet little peach feathered Bantam Easter Egger hen and for now, living solo in a connected run and different Eglu coop. I have tried re-introducing her to the other hens, but there has been too much pecking as they seem to have forgotten her face. Going to take our time re-introducing her to the flock. For now, they are all right next to each other.

Last edited:
It is hard to post this here, as no one wanted our last rooster in need of a good home (and as you can read in the reply to my earlier post above, that rooster came to a sad end). 😥 But we have another rooster in need of a loving, kind, good home, so post I must.

Location: Gainesville, FL (will drive within 5 hours to deliver)
Roosters name: Neville
Weight: 3 pounds

About rooster: Neville is a very sweet rooster who takes good care of his Bantam Easter Egger hens. My dear SIL is very sensitive to light and sound and has decided the rooster must go (he can't stand the normal crowing).

Neville likely would do best in a home with only hens, ideally Bantams but he is tall and big as you can see in the pix, so maybe he could live with normal-sized hens.

When Neville was a young rooster, out of a Crackle Hatchery order of 30 chicks 20 were roosters :0, other roosters were always being mean to him. The other roosters were also mean to the hens and each other. Neville would jump into my arms to escape other roosters.

Unlike the other roosters, Neville is the perfect gentleman roo and lets the hens eat first and keeps watch over them, jumping up on the roost to keep a lookout, and crowing at the first sign of a hawk in the sky or a strange, potential predator, noise. He is a beautiful little boy who looks a lot like an owl and will eat greens out of your hand. He has been raised with organic food, classical music, living with a small flock of ten or fewer chickens (2 crossbeaks have lived nearby, though one was recently killed, and his own flock of hens).

I will drive him to you. Prefer a home that doesn't kill or eat roosters.

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpeg
    IMG_3483.jpeg
    875.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 63969291985__F360DD76-FC53-4FA2-A3A1-37C24EB58D04.jpeg
    63969291985__F360DD76-FC53-4FA2-A3A1-37C24EB58D04.jpeg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 63969294382__4F5365B2-62C9-4546-9E75-D005E06BAA39.jpeg
    63969294382__4F5365B2-62C9-4546-9E75-D005E06BAA39.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3481.jpeg
    IMG_3481.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 16
He’s very Pretty
It is hard to post this here, as no one wanted our last rooster in need of a good home (and as you can read in the reply to my earlier post above, that rooster came to a sad end). 😥 But we have another rooster in need of a loving, kind, good home, so post I must.

Location: Gainesville, FL (will drive within 5 hours to deliver)
Roosters name: Neville
Weight: 3 pounds

About rooster: Neville is a very sweet rooster who takes good care of his Bantam Easter Egger hens. My dear SIL is very sensitive to light and sound and has decided the rooster must go (he can't stand the normal crowing).

Neville likely would do best in a home with only hens, ideally Bantams but he is tall and big as you can see in the pix, so maybe he could live with normal-sized hens.

When Neville was a young rooster, out of a Crackle Hatchery order of 30 chicks 20 were roosters :0, other roosters were always being mean to him. The other roosters were also mean to the hens and each other. Neville would jump into my arms to escape other roosters.

Unlike the other roosters, Neville is the perfect gentleman roo and lets the hens eat first and keeps watch over them, jumping up on the roost to keep a lookout, and crowing at the first sign of a hawk in the sky or a strange, potential predator, noise. He is a beautiful little boy who looks a lot like an owl and will eat greens out of your hand. He has been raised with organic food, classical music, living with a small flock of ten or fewer chickens (2 crossbeaks have lived nearby, though one was recently killed, and his own flock of hens).

I will drive him to you. Prefer a home that doesn't kill or eat roosters.

10 weeks old today - so one of my 2 beautiful Cockerels has decided to try Crowing, SILVER must be re-homed ASAP - he is an Olive Egger mix of Silverudd Blue and - I THINK Blue Marans. He hatched from a fairly dark brown egg. I'll try to call Cindy Harkins in Idaho today to confirm which of her Purebreds were used in the OE project this January. Silver is big, lovely and lets me and a second grader pick him up without a fuss. The girls gather around him if it gets windy. He's a good boy...has been in the Henhouse less than a week - still in a Kennel so my 11 month Pullets can get used to them.

Raised non-GMO, with natural immunity gently developing, not Vaccinated.
When it warmed up this week all got a bit of Corid in their water for a few days to help with resistance to parasites that may be present. Wild birds do fly over and forage in our yard.

The second is an Ayam Cemani - x Mosaic mix. Much smaller and has a whisper soft voice so far. I carry the others to the tractor, then let him walk/fly with me on his own to join them, so he can keep his dignity, LOL.. His sister could go too, as a Breeding pair. She may produce more eggs than a full AC, due to the mix. Both are black, with green and purple irredescence. A re-homing fee or Barter appreciated -- to help cover costs.

Come see them today! North Portland near Yellow MAX/Interstate off Killingsworth.

Attachments

• Mosey side view Colors.jpg
    Mosey side view Colors.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Cockerels9wks.jpg
    Cockerels9wks.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Mosey8wksResting.jpg
    Mosey8wksResting.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 10
  • MoseySaddle.comb.9wks.jpg
    MoseySaddle.comb.9wks.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi,
I have a Rhode Island Red Cross rooster that I think I need to rehome.
We live in Queensland Australia. I love him dearly but unfortunately we live in town and can’t have roosters. We also have unpleasant neighbours who would take great glee in complaining about him.
I am so attached to him, he came from a home where the mother chicken was killing the chicks and he was one of the last saved, we had to help him out of the egg.

He is full of personality. I can’t take a photo of any other chooks without him photo bombing it.
He has never been aggressive and will often perch on my leg.
He does have a limp, I’m not sure why as he doesn’t seem to be in pain, I think he is a little deformed in the hip maybe? But he gets around just fine, he hops like a bunny when he runs sometimes.

If I found the right home for him, I’d be willing to consider transport. He really needs to go to someone who will love him and give him a good life

Roosters name: Maple 😅
Breed: Rhode Island Red
Weight: small, maybe 1-2kg
Size: Rhode Island Red size

Attachments

• 451DCE4E-6B57-4164-A49F-51C44CEBDDAF.jpeg
    451DCE4E-6B57-4164-A49F-51C44CEBDDAF.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 8
  • D72B9929-A144-4C19-BF0B-9BC0E13723EF.jpeg
    D72B9929-A144-4C19-BF0B-9BC0E13723EF.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 8
Roosters name: Marie...now Mario
Breed: French Black Copper Maran
Details: beautiful boy that I am so sad to have to rehome but we are not allowed to have roosters. He has not begun to crow yet. He is very friendly with people but a bit bossy with his pullet friends.
Photos:
20210418_090633.jpg
20210418_090700.jpg 20210418_090812.jpg

Roosters name: Marie...now Mario
Breed: French Black Copper Maran
Details: beautiful boy that I am so sad to have to rehome but we are not allowed to have roosters. He has not begun to crow yet. He is very friendly with people but a bit bossy with his pullet friends.
Photos:View attachment 2634668View attachment 2634666View attachment 2634665
He is SO pretty. Love his feet. Good luck rehoming him. Still hoping for a wonderful home for our roo Neville. 🐔💗🐥❤️🐓💖

Back
Top Bottom